DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY (Series 2) - FISHMAN

RIPPA

Alfredo tweeted a neat picture the other day from the Monterrey show honoring Fishman.

CUChoacUcAAzr-V.jpg

Man Fishman was old before he was fucking old. Which is really funny since he is only in his mid-60s now.

Poor poor Fishman

LUCHAWIKI

Random Fishman DVDVR stuff

DEAN - ISSUE #1

The best guys who are too old to be really great but could still work were Atlantis, who is actually still pretty good, Fishman, who is still a heat machine, and Rey Sr, who can still get around pretty well. I hope I never see Mocho Cota again.

In summary, WWO: more weird than good.

- Paul sent me a compilation with AAA match that was very-second-hour-of- Nitro-like. Los Villanos and Fishman are wrestling Perro Aguayo and, for some reason, Cien Caras, Universo 2000 and the other brother who's name has escaped me all day. I'm guessing this related to their feud with Los Villanos but I don't know if it was before or after the feud was ended with that cage match and couldn't figure out how Perro got mixed up in it. Perro, of course, gets the holy crap beaten out himself as the brothers refuse to tag him and the truly great thing is that when Perro is knocked out of the ring and is laying on the floor of the first row and it is clear that they are not helping helping Aguayo, the Dynamita Brothers go into the ring and beat the crap out Los Villanos and Fishman. I'm glad that WCW has stopped stealing lame angles from the WWF and now only steal great angles from New Japan and AAA.:) I love the different levels of evil idea and for WCW to pull it off, they need a Los Villanos group, which the Dungeon of Doom could be if they put good wrestlers in it. They've already produced their own Los Locos Gringos with the NWO. AAA has the blueprint for the two tier heel vs heel feud, one within and one outside the organization. To duplicate this effect, WCW needs guys who can go at it (Jericho, Psicosis) in the Dungeon of Doom. There really isn't anyone in the dungeon that looks like he would last thirty seconds with Benoit or Flair and they won't make this feud successful until they do.

DEAN - ISSUE #4

More reviews

This one is from Issue #96 where Dean calles him Fisherman for some reason (the formatting is jakked and I ain't fixing it again)

Atlantis/ Lizmark/ El Hijo del Santo vs Pirata Morgan/ El Satanico/

Fisherman:
HOLY FUCK IS THIS GOOD!  This match reminds me of a little story. 
My friend Kip is one of my oldest and dearest and when we were both in
college we would go out of our way to give each other the most horrible
gifts we could find for each others birthdays and Christmas as many
friends will do and so it was a steady stream of bad ceramic monkeys, 24
packs of Roughrider Condoms, assorted Close-Shave magazines until the
day I came across the hideous HAWK Cologne.  It was rugged and manly
and smelled like the morning after drinking too much tequila so we gave
each other the bottle of Hawk for eight years until I finally lost track
of. 
ANYWAY, Atlantis, El Hijo del Santo and Lizmark don t have HAWK
cologne, they have FISHMAN rudo, because the whole point of the
match was to disrupt the matural pairings of the match- since this was a
VERY traditional style match where you would usually get attached to
one opponent and stay with him- and PIN THE FISHMAN ON THE
TECHNICO!  Call me crazy, but isn t Lizmark and Fishman AROUND
the same age?  Why is Lizmark still GREAT and why is Fishman more
like the lost Hermanos Dinamitas?  Okay, he s a LOT better than THAT
but do you know what I mean?  Am I Crazy?  The problem for Fishman is
that Satanico and Pirata Morgan decide that THIS would be a good time
to prove to the world who the best really old school rudo is and thus
Pirata works his ass off- including working a SPECTACULAR sequence
with Santo where Santo does a Hurricanrana into a
Off-the-shoulder-around-the-body Totally GREAT elaborate armdrag
INTO an Off the apron Hurricanrana on the floor and I said  WWELLL
NOW!   Satanico says,  Hold on Grampa!  And goes at with Atlantis
(also known as Lizmark Jr if your the total idiots who slap together
WCW Worldwide these days) on the mat and it is SWANK.  Lizmark and
Santo have their own contest as Lizmark hits all the high-flying moves
that everybody stole from him to match the Santo Sequence and the
Senton Into the Tope Spot that he hit later.  Lizmarks FAT ASS Plancha
to the floor onto Pirata was about as spectacular as anything Santo did,
so this was old guys going hogwild and I loved it.  GET ALL THIS!!!

This is fun - I keep finding more Dean reviews where he talks about every guy in the match BUT Fishman

Issue #71

Fishman/LaParka/ Blue Panther vs Eddy Guerrerro/ Latin Lover/ Love Machine: 

For Los Rudos, the ruins that were Fishman, the incredible Blue Panther, and the LEATHER-CLAD LaParka (talk about SWANKER THAN SWANK.) For Los Technicos, Eddy and Love Machine are still quite the babyfaces, though I'm thinking they actually turned just to never have to tag with Latin Lover again, a man wearing pants so tiny it barely held in the lil latin unit. Possibly Eddy turned to get the super whipass Red White and Blue Los Gringos Loco pants- as opposed to the Bass-Player For Twisted Sister spandex with hole cut in the sides that he fearlessly wears in this ass-stomper of a match. Internet rumor has it that even Jerry Estrada actually went up to him after the match and said, "Man, Eddy, those pants REALLY suck." Anyway, Eddy frickin RULES against Blue Panther as he shows that he was the 1993 Head Scissors Poo-bah. THEN, Eddy and LaParka do a freakin Lucha Armdrag Clinic. What the hell was Crowboy saying about Eddy no longer a true luchadore while in AAA? He's as lucha in this match as El Santo's cape. Two GREAT rudos, one who is better as a technico (LaParka) and another who was slightly diminished as a technico (Blue Panther), Two Great Technicos that both hit their stride as rudos- though Eddy was as great on either side of the fence, One guy who was BORN old, and a go-go dancer. Welcome to Mexico, motherfucker. 

I can't ever get a good handle on Fishman. It always feels very out of place for me when he shows up in mid 90s AAA though. I half wonder if he didn't have awesome skits at some point though.

This is fun - I keep finding more Dean reviews where he talks about every guy in the match BUT Fishman

No, that's funny. I feel like I've done a few for SC but I don't remember ever actually talking about him. Let me go look.