DVDVR Message Board

2016 Music Festival Thread

Chaos

It seems like these lineups pop up earlier and earlier this year. Hangout dropped their lineup out of nowhere today, and lineups for some newer festivals and more niche festivals have popped up already as well. I'll post some of those tonight, but here's the Hangout one. 2/3rds of this lineup is pretty awful. It's also interesting that the Coachella guys post this lineup before posting Hangout.  Spoilerized for size: 

12219622_1161140543913726_52239338744491

Wasn't Hangout a jamband fest when it started, or am I thinking of another fest around that area?

I have no idea who Calvin Harris is.

The early lineups were a lot heavier with Jam Bands in them, but I don't know how deep you're talking Jam-Band wise. Near me, there's Wanee(Allmans now WSP festival), Aura (Disco Biscuits Fest), Hulaween (String Cheese's fest).

Wasn't Hangout a jamband fest when it started, or am I thinking of another fest around that area?

I have no idea who Calvin Harris is.

One of the most popular EDM DJs in the world and Taylor Swift's boyfriend. And I only know this cos of Gawker Media.

God dammit, 2 Dudes and a MacBook changed my life and no I'll shall be spoken of them!

Ahem.

On a more serious note, Levitation looks like it's so not my scene that it might be the antimatter universe version of my scene, but Brian Wilson playing Pet Sounds all the way through is incredibly tempting.

God dammit, 2 Dudes and a MacBook changed my life and no I'll shall be spoken of them!

Ahem.

On a more serious note, Levitation looks like it's so not my scene that it might be the antimatter universe version of my scene, but Brian Wilson playing Pet Sounds all the way through is incredibly tempting.

I went one day this year (could've gone all 3 but the weather was awful) and it really wasn't bad at all. Pretty small, like half the size of FunFunFun, and a pretty chill audience of hipsters, city witches, and stoner metal dirtbags. The lineup was pretty eclectic, in that there was shoegaze, psych, doom metal, proggy stuff, some punkier stuff. The main problem is getting there and back.

• 4 weeks later...

WHAT??!?!?

EDIT: From what I can tell, it's just Consequence of Sound claiming they've heard from "two sources" that they'll be there. Makes sense, though, it's Roo's 15th anniversary and PJ's 25th. I'm hitching my horse to a PEARL JAM + DRAKE + DEAD & CO. top 3.

WHAT??!?!?

EDIT: From what I can tell, it's just Consequence of Sound claiming they've heard from "two sources" that they'll be there. Makes sense, though, it's Roo's 15th anniversary and PJ's 25th. I'm hitching my horse to a PEARL JAM + DRAKE + DEAD & CO. top 3.

Rumor I saw was PJ, Dead & Co, and Justin Timberlake. I'm there in the pit with Bells and Whistles on for all three. LCD Soundsystem is probably your #4 band on that lineup and we are probably getting a Ween Late Night set. Can we say best Roo Lineup since maybe 2012?

Well, there is also a "Bridgestone Email" that's being floated around confirming the PJ thing too. Very grain of salty stuff, but I'm riding with it. Pearl Jam's been at or near the top of my bucket list for some time now.

I know the Dead isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I saw Dead and Company last month and it was fucking amazing. I was there with my best friend who I went to my first Dead show with back in 1987 when we were 17. Nearly thirty years later there we were and the magic was still there. John Meyer blew me away.

Long story short, it looks like Timberlake won't be headlining (I guess?) and it'll be a top 4 bill of Pearl Jam / The Dead & Co / LCD Soundsystem / J. Cole

Pearl Jam - confirmed by CoS by "sources" = rumor started at Inforoo to begin with

The Dead & Co - A poster on Inforoo said "a friend" told him they'd be playing

LCD Soundsystem - See above

J. Cole - I honestly don't know but everyone is talking about it on Inforoo

I would do further investigation on the J. Cole thing but the headliner thread is a dumpster fire right now and I don't want to touch it.

I miss Insider, fuck.

Long story short, it looks like Timberlake won't be headlining (I guess?) and it'll be a top 4 bill of Pearl Jam / The Dead & Co / LCD Soundsystem / J. Cole

Pearl Jam - confirmed by CoS by "sources" = rumor started at Inforoo to begin with

The Dead & Co - A poster on Inforoo said "a friend" told him they'd be playing

LCD Soundsystem - See above

J. Cole - I honestly don't know but everyone is talking about it on Inforoo

I would do further investigation on the J. Cole thing but the headliner thread is a dumpster fire right now and I don't want to touch it.

I miss Insider, fuck.

Yeah, I question this new one they have. "Launchpad." I also can't read more than a page of the Headliner thread without my head melting.

Even the recap thread this year is a disaster. 

Looks like something I'd go to when I was in middle school. I hope At The Drive-In pops up at some (better) US festivals this summer. I got exposed to them just as they were breaking up, and then The Mars Volta formed, so I've never been able to experience them live. TMV, on the other hand, is an experience at Bonnaroo I rather forget. 2009 just sucked all around. Sorry, Beastie Boys.

There's about 4 bands on that lineup I'd like to see - one of them I mentioned, one I already saw but got my ass handed to me in a mosh pit I didn't want to be in (Between The Buried & Me), and the other two are Clutch and Rob Zombie.

I don't see this going over too well with the Bonnaroo faithful. That's... a step too far, I think. Let her play at the CMA Festival or Stagecoach, I don't want to hear "Jesus Take the Wheel" on the farm. Le sigh.

They'll probably do crazy business with a Carrie Underwood+Pearl Jam+The Dead & Co. top 3, however.