DVDVR Message Board

[POLL] 2016 DVDVR MLB HALL OF FAME BALLOT

RIPPA

2016 DVDVR MLB HALL OF FAME VOTE  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Vote For? (Up to 10 Choices)

• Garret Anderson
    • Brad Ausmus
    • Jeff Bagwell
    • Barry Bonds
    • Luis Castillo
    • Roger Clemens
    • David Eckstein
    • Jim Edmonds
    • Nomar Garciaparra
    • Troy Glaus
    • Ken Griffey Jr
    • Mark Grudzielanek
    • Mike Hampton
    • Trevor Hoffman
    • Jason Kendall
    • Jeff Kent
    • Mike Lowell
    • Edgar Martinez
    • Fred McGriff
    • Mark McGwire
    • Mike Mussina
    • Mike Piazza
    • Tim Raines
    • Curt Schilling
    • Gary Sheffield
    • Lee Smith
    • Sammy Sosa
    • Mike Sweeney
    • Alan Trammell
    • Billy Wagner
    • Larry Walker
    • Randy Winn

Just to see who would make it - if we, the idiots, had a vote.

YOU CAN VOTE FOR UP TO 10 PEOPLE (this is the honor system people)

Names are alphabetically just to make it fair

A tip from last year - READ ALL OF THE CHOICES BEFORE VOTING!!! A lot of folks got tripped up because they missed names (especially those who where picked guys in alphabetical order).

This was much easier than last year as I was able to even fit Bonds and Clemens on this time.

And I only had one mark pick this year.

Of course - I told all closers to fuck off until after Mariano but still...

Bonds, Clemens, Griffey, Hoffman, Edgar, Rock Raines, Trammell, Wagner and Walker.

I despise Barry Bonds, but that dude could fucking play, man. Even with all the steroid hullabaloo, that dude was well on his way to Cooperstown before all of that nonsense.

Clemens falls under the same deal, but I can't dispute the guys numbers.

Griffey is a no-brainer, one of the finest talents I ever got to see play in person.

We were talking about Hoffman the other day, and I just feel like that while there is a wide gap between he and Mariano for title of "best ever", it's probably not as wide as folks would make you think. Hoffman played on teams that averaged just under 20 less W's than Mariano's per year. If Hoffman had played anywhere that was a consistent contender, we would have seen more of him, and the overall numbers might be tilted in Hoffman's favor. Except for ERA, Rivera didn't fucking play when it came to allowing runs.

Edgar Martinez is the best hitter that the DH has ever seen, and I hope that fact that he "only" hit 309 HR's instead of 500 like Ortiz doesn't keep him out until Ortiz gets in.

I don't think that there needs to be any real explanation for Raines or Trammell, it's a shame they aren't already in.

I haven't really crunched all the data on Wagner, but I remember him being so fucking dominant and with such electric stuff. I'll have to go back and see if I really think he is worthy, or if I just remember him as better than he actually was.

Tabe and I had the Larry Walker conversation the other day, and while I do cop to the fact that he was made so much better by playing in Coors, I still like to think of him as my benchmark for induction. Plus, he was an Expo, man!! I give bonus points for playing in MTL.

• Like 1

Mine: Bonds, Clemens, Griffey, McGwire, Trammell

Just curious - Is there a reason you didn't vote for Piazza, Sosa or Edgar Martinez this year since you did last year?

We were talking about Hoffman the other day, and I just feel like that while there is a wide gap between he and Mariano for title of "best ever", it's probably not as wide as folks would make you think. Hoffman played on teams that averaged just under 20 less W's than Mariano's per year. If Hoffman had played anywhere that was a consistent contender, we would have seen more of him, and the overall numbers might be tilted in Hoffman's favor. Except for ERA, Rivera didn't fucking play when it came to allowing runs.

Well, ERA* is kinda what a closer is supposed to be good at :)

It's really not that hard for a closer to put up a 3.00 ERA. There were dozens of guys in the majors last year with 10 or more saves and an ERA under 3.00. Hoffman pitched in a park that severely favors pitchers and managed to come up with a 2.87 career ERA. IMHO, he just never got to the "elite" level that Mariano reached. And, IMHO, if you're gonna play a super-limited position like closer, you'd better be ultra-dominant at it to get in. Hoffman, again IMHO, wasn't.

* - Yeah, yeah, FIP and all that.

Just curious - Is there a reason you didn't vote for Piazza, Sosa or Edgar Martinez this year since you did last year?

Didn't see Piazza on the list somehow, re-evaluated Sosa and Edgar.

Bagwell, Bonds, Clemens, Griffey, Hoffman, Martinez, Piazza, Raines, Schilling, Trammell

This ballot is perfectly set-up for the BBWAA to clear some room and get 5-7 guys elected, but we will get 2.

I think I regret not picking Walker over Hoffman.

Bags, Bonds, Griffey, 'Gar, Big Mac, Piazza, Rock, Trammell, Lee Smith, & the Crime Dog.

I don't dispute Roger Clemens belongs, but I hate the guy almost as much as I hate Schilling, so I ain't going to help his induction one bit

Didn't see Piazza on the list somehow, re-evaluated Sosa and Edgar.

When you say that you "re-evaluated" Sosa and 'Gar, what conclusions did you come to? Some of this was easy, as a kid I saw Mantle, Mays and Aaron and Ken Griffey jr. is the best OF I've ever seen. As far as a pure hitter, George Brett was awesome, but if the game is on the line and a hit is needed to drive in the winning run, I want Edgar Martinez at the plate.

I despise Barry Bonds, but that dude could fucking play, man. Even with all the steroid hullabaloo, that dude was well on his way to Cooperstown before all of that nonsense.

We don't even know that there was a "before".  Barry says he never used anything except when he was duped by adulterated flaxseed oil.

• Like 1

Bags, Bonds, Griffey, 'Gar, Big Mac, Piazza, Rock, Trammell, Lee Smith, & the Crime Dog.

I don't dispute Roger Clemens belongs, but I hate the guy almost as much as I hate Schilling, so I ain't going to help his induction one bit

My thinking is that it's too late to punish or change the guy.  He is a natural asshole and that's an unshakable inner truth.  And it's not like getting in will give him much pleasure anyway as nothing does.   He will be just as miserable a guy the day after as the day before.

But 50 years form now his name should be known by kids who are baseball nerds.

• Like 1

When you say that you "re-evaluated" Sosa and 'Gar, what conclusions did you come to? Some of this was easy, as a kid I saw Mantle, Mays and Aaron and Ken Griffey jr. is the best OF I've ever seen. As far as a pure hitter, George Brett was awesome, but if the game is on the line and a hit is needed to drive in the winning run, I want Edgar Martinez at the plate.

With Sosa, I took another look at his OPS and OPS+ and decided they weren't quite good enough.

With Edgar, I took another look in light of the discussions I've been having regarding the closer position. Decided that Edgar wasn't quite dominant enough given the limited position he played and that his career numbers aren't quite high enough. I might feel different about that in 20 minutes. For now, Edgar is probably my "you must be this high" guy for getting into the HOF. Better than Edgar? In ya go.

Lets say Bonds never takes a drug in his life. He is still going to be a 500/500 guy.  Actually he would have easily been a 600/500 guy. Look at his counting stats and advanced stats prior to 2000 and he's easily the best player of his era and one of the best players ever. Probably top 10 at the least.

The writers aren't voting for him because he didn't kiss their ass and that is a joke.

Whatever the year was he allegedly starting doping. Maybe it was 98.

Just saying there should be a way to vote just for pre-balco barry, since people have that "he was a hall of famer before doing anything" Talking point. ;)

Disclaimer: i am pro bonds and pro "take whatever because pharmalogical distinctions are arbitrary."