DVDVR Message Board

2013 NBA Offseason

Dolfan in NYC

On the bright side, at least you have the Royce White era to look forward to. 

Someone calculated he should be able to make 58 games. I suggested to White he learn to fly the plane to follow in the footsteps of Kareem in Airplane but he didn't like the idea. 

Kobe bottoming out and losing for picks is not a thing that will happen.

Their best bet on that front is to hold him even after he heals, ala Jordan in 1985. Dunno how feasible that is here in 2013 with the internetz and all, but it's their best chance.

I also kinda think the Nets have a chance. They're old, yes, but they're deep and if anyone their age can hulk up one more time, it's Garnett and Pierce, particularly if they keep their minutes low through the season.

I'm hearing that Marcus Teague is having a really good summer league. They're comparing it to Jimmy Butler's Summer League last year. Could be hype, but I really hope the kid pans out. Could be a solid, healthy back up to Rose or trade bait.

I have no idea who plays on the Sixers anymore. It's kind of ridiculous considering how good they were getting the year they bounced us in the first round.

Well I'd rather hear good things than hear that he's a jabroni, you rain cloud acting son of a gun. Gotta talk about something. I mean all we got this offseason is Dunleavy.

I have no idea who plays on the Sixers anymore. It's kind of ridiculous considering how good they were getting the year they bounced us in the first round.

I know Doug Collins had to have been having a mental breakdown watching the Bulls get out of the first round even with Rose out. Though Noah was out too at end.

It was an awkward situation but Iguodala did have to be moved in order for Holiday to reach his potential since Collins would have kept running the ball through him. They would have been a better team last year had they not made the Bynum trade obviously but he wasn't the coach to get the most out of that roster. Team needed rebounding help and he wouldn't play Vucevic despite being productive when given the chance. Yeah he gets pushed around but he is also smart enough to get into the right position early enough to get established. It isn't like Hawes is stout in that regard.

I'd say Thaddeus Young is the Sixers best player now and he is at best the 3rd piece on a good team.

pg- Michael Carter Williams

sg- Jason Richardson

sf- Evan Turner

pf- Thaddeus Young 

C- Spencer Hawes 

That is what I am expecting the starters to be next year. Not all that different from last year only replacing Holiday with a rookie that can't shoot. Holiday was a miracle worker getting as many assists per game as he had being on a team with no other real scorers. He was clearly beat down by mid season and there was a drop off in his play at the midpoint mark and the teams record reflected it. He did deserve that all star spot though and on a team with some other people that can put the ball in the basket he should continue to improve. New Orleans should have a legitimate playoff chance if they can stay healthy. Big if though considering the track record of some of those guys.

Well I'd rather hear good things than hear that he's a jabroni, you rain cloud acting son of a gun. Gotta talk about something. I mean all we got this offseason is Dunleavy.

Don't get ahead of yourself.  You might lose Nate Robinson too.

Posted Image

I saw Derrick Rose has finally said he is 100%, that he will definitely play in the preseason opener, and should (!!!) play in the season opener. He has to be trolling at this point, right? 

Also, I fully realize that by making fun of this, I am tempting the basketball gods by throwing stones in the glass house I have built out of Kyrie Irving's brittle, brittle body. 

I saw Derrick Rose has finally said he is 100%, that he will definitely play in the preseason opener, and should (!!!) play in the season opener. He has to be trolling at this point, right? 

Also, I fully realize that by making fun of this, I am tempting the basketball gods by throwing stones in the glass house I have built out of Kyrie Irving's brittle, brittle body. 

But he said he wouldn't play unless he was 110%!!!! WAFFLING SON OF A BITCH I LOVE HIM THOUGH.

Hey but at least if Irving gets injured, you'll have good old reliable Andrew Bynum to carry the team!

I think Ol' Reliable is going to be my personal nickname for Bynum. I really think the Cavs are planning on getting 41 games each out of Varejao and Bynum, and they are just hoping against hope that those 41 games don't overlap at all. 

The problem is selling "bottoming out" to Kobe.  You know he's probably not going to be on board with this idea at this stage of his career.  Oddly enough, if you're a Laker fan in support of tanking this year, you should probably be rooting for Kobe to sit out as long as possible this season.

I don't think he'll sit out for a long time. I kinda think if Nash & Pau are healthy w/ the additions, they're locked in that middle group with Dallas, Minnesota, Portland, Denver. Denver losing Iggy was big. A couple of those teams have to stay healthier than the Lakers to make sure we can bottom out. Kobe, Pau & Nash won't let the team bottom out if they're playing. I don't even think the Lakers would do it. Their down years usually featured them still trying to make the playoffs with the exception of that year Rudy T quit and everyone on the team got hurt.

We also need the defense to be historically bad because I think Pau at center in a D'Antoni offense works well. Their issue last season was Pau being forced to be out in the perimeter more which has been the issue the past 3 seasons with 3 different coaches, but D'Antoni handled about as poorly as possible. 

The last great month Pau had in the NBA was him playing near the basket at center that November a few years ago when he was playing at an MVP level. Bynum came back and Phil made the switch to feature him more and play him at center. Pau was never the same player after.

I'm ok with however Kupchak decides to rebuild the team. He uses the same template he learned from Jerry West after Magic retired.  

SHOULD PLAY?

Jae, consider aligning yourself with another star.  You're too good for this.  Rose may be the player you need, but not the one you deserve.

SHOULD PLAY?

Jae, consider aligning yourself with another star.  You're too good for this.  Rose may be the player you need, but not the one you deserve.

Fuck it, he's a Ziggler fan as well. At this point he only has one person to blame, and that's Jae himself. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Kawhi Leonard had a great 2 game summer league last year, so it's not all Josh Selby-esque wishful thinking. :)

ESPN NY's Jared Zwerling must be using an old Artest scouting report. 

One quality the 6-foot-7, 260-pound World Peace brings to the Knicks is versatile defense; he has the size, strength and foot speed to guard players at any position. He can also knock down the 3, create off the dribble in half-court sets and finish well in transition. In 2012-13 with the Lakers, he averaged 12.4 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.6 steals, while shooting 34 percent from downtown. 

I laughed a bit when I got to the "finish well in transition" since he's really gotten bad at doing that. MWP also doesn't have the same foot speed that he use to.  He use to be able to guard smaller players, but can't keep up with them anymore. 

He's best suited as a small-ball power forward, but NY has Bargnani & Stoudamire at that spot as well AND Melo plays PF in small ball lineups as well.