DVDVR Message Board

2013 NBA Offseason

Dolfan in NYC

The city of Cleveland has convinced (deluded?) itself in to think Mike Brown is a defensive genius and all of these players, most notably Kyrie and Tony Bennett, who haven't even shown interest in playing defense, will suddenly become stoppers. I think Waiters is probably the only one who makes a leap. Maybe Thompson, he is do athletic.

Still hoping for a five seed.

The Bynum was signed to help make a run at LeBron talking point is one of the strangest in a long time. I actually wouldn't be surprised if people in Cleveland thought this though. A good reminder as to why he is gone.

They honestly think he will forget this?

Posted Image

Believe it or not, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Monta deal.  Yeah, I would have rather had Iggy, or Dwight, or CP3, or Evans, or Al Jefferson, but we needed a scorer, and I think Carlisle will get something good from him. Honestly, we had to make a deal for a scorer SOMEWHERE, and this is what was available.  I do agree that it's alot of money, which I would have saved for a big fish next year, but it's becoming apparent that the big fish aren't going to Dallas right now.  I'm much more upset about the Larkin injury, but he'll be back in time for the opener.  

I like the idea of a starting 5 of Calderon, Ellis, Marion, Dirk and possibly Dalembert or Oden.  Championship team?  Probably not, but a HUGE step up over what I had to endure last year.

Dallas, LA, Portland and Minnesota will be battling for the 8th seed, IMO.  It's hard to say what becomes of Denver.  I think they slip but not all the way out of the playoffs.

I kinda like all the Lakers signings this offseason. They improved their depth, could make the playoffs, BUT there is enough potential disaster to get us a higher draft pick! :) 

Nick Young will take all the stupid shots Kobe takes while Kobe is injured.  He just won't make any of them!

The only interesting thing about the Lakers to me is seeing Nash and Pau really play together to start the season without any concern about getting the ball to Dwight or Kobe.

Believe it or not, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Monta deal.  Yeah, I would have rather had Iggy, or Dwight, or CP3, or Evans, or Al Jefferson, but we needed a scorer, and I think Carlisle will get something good from him. Honestly, we had to make a deal for a scorer SOMEWHERE, and this is what was available.  I do agree that it's alot of money, which I would have saved for a big fish next year, but it's becoming apparent that the big fish aren't going to Dallas right now.  I'm much more upset about the Larkin injury, but he'll be back in time for the opener.  

I like the idea of a starting 5 of Calderon, Ellis, Marion, Dirk and possibly Dalembert or Oden.  Championship team?  Probably not, but a HUGE step up over what I had to endure last year.

You don't want any part of the  black hole that is Al Jefferson, Utah's young bigs were never going to develop with him there, still mad they let Milsap walk for nothing; I know the strategy is the same, but Utah has alot of young talent, and they might as well with the draft so bad, but being mentioned with Phily and other teams as "tankers" is a little much. Really they were supposed to resign the bigs,  only to be a first round sacrifice?

Dwight to the Rockets makes them top 3 in the West behind San Antonio and OKC.  I think Chandler Parsons becomes a legit All Star with all the wide open looks he'll be getting with Dwight in the middle, and Harden is the best 2 guard in the league right now.  Who'd you take over him?  Kobe's hurt and likely washed up, Wade's a shell of his former self.  Only guards I take over Harden are nominally point guards (CP3, Westbrook). 

With Asik and Lin, I don't think they're going anywhere until the trade deadline when Morey will use his Jedi Mind tricks into screwing someone over again.  However, with Dwight's back, Asik is a hell of an insurance policy.  With Lin, he's an average NBA point guard at this point in his career, and Coach McHale was finishing games with Pat Beverley anyway. 

Finally, Dwight's got problems with his offensive game, but he's going to be spending his summer with Hakeem and McHale, two of the greatest post up big men in NBA history.  If and when he soaks up any of that, look out.  We've seen what a little Hakeem magic has done for others.

On paper, this Laker squad might already be one of the worst defensive teams in the league.  Steve Nash, Nick Young, and Chris Kaman? This is even before factoring in D'Antoni's coaching style. 

I know everyone has their issues with Dwight and Metta World Peace is clearly on the tail end of his career, but it's going to be a long year on that side of the ball for the Lakers without those two, despite their shortcomings.  Their offense might be okay with their new additions though.

On paper, this Laker squad might already be one of the worst defensive teams in the league.  Steve Nash, Nick Young, and Chris Kaman? This is even before factoring in D'Antoni's coaching style. 

This is great news! :) If you're gonna be bad, you better be really bad in the NBA. This is the one year they should be tank...eeeerrrr...*rebuilding*. They have D'Antoni, a bad defense, Kobe's injured, a lot of middle-of-the-pack West teams adding players because owners want to make the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed. There's already a lot of reasons to give why they should be bad. Lowered expectations for a pretty rabid fanbase is what they've created. Might as well start the rebuild w/ a high draft pick.

They even signed Wesley Johnson! Nash eventually gets hurt (or traded to clear out ALL the money for 2014), Pau takes a few games off late in the year, and they can throw out a Farmar/Young/Wes/Ryan Kelly/Kaman lineup the final 20 or so games!

Their offense might be okay with their new additions though.

NOOOOO!!!! Fingers crossed it will be at best average.  They can't have an "ok" offense to go with a bad defense since that probably puts them in the 7-8 seed out West. 

Dwight to the Rockets makes them top 3 in the West behind San Antonio and OKC. 

I can't rank them ahead of Memphis or LAC at this point.  Their cores have been together long enough that they should be able to weather the coaching changes. 

This is great news! :) If you're gonna be bad, you better be really bad in the NBA. This is the one year they should be tank...eeeerrrr...*rebuilding*. They have D'Antoni, a bad defense, Kobe's injured, a lot of middle-of-the-pack West teams adding players because owners want to make the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed. There's already a lot of reasons to give why they should be bad. Lowered expectations for a pretty rabid fanbase is what they've created. Might as well start the rebuild w/ a high draft pick.

They even signed Wesley Johnson! Nash eventually gets hurt (or traded to clear out ALL the money for 2014), Pau takes a few games off late in the year, and they can throw out a Farmar/Young/Wes/Ryan Kelly/Kaman lineup the final 20 or so games!

NOOOOO!!!! Fingers crossed it will be at best average.  They can't have an "ok" offense to go with a bad defense since that probably puts them in the 7-8 seed out West. 

The problem is selling "bottoming out" to Kobe.  You know he's probably not going to be on board with this idea at this stage of his career.  Oddly enough, if you're a Laker fan in support of tanking this year, you should probably be rooting for Kobe to sit out as long as possible this season.

I laughed at Bill Simmons idea of instead of selling "bottoming out" to Kobe, tell him the team needs him to shoot as much as humanly possible and put up 40 every night. The end result is the same, but Kobe stays happy anyway.  

• Like 1

Simmons' article was hilarity personified, but 100% accurate.  Just sell Kobe on the idea of breaking Kareem's all-time scoring record and the Lakers may pull off their RIGGIN' FOR WIGGINS scenario.

Of course, the ultimate joker in the deck is Jimmy Buss.  If it were Jeannie running things, I could see this happening.  But who knows with Jimmy.

Michael Carter Williams 27% shooting percentage and 18% three point percentage during summer league. Not really sure which team will win more games next year. The Eagles under Chip Kelly or the Sixers under, well they haven't actually bothered to hire a coach. Going to be a long, dreadful, season.

Simmons' article was hilarity personified, but 100% accurate.  Just sell Kobe on the idea of breaking Kareem's all-time scoring record and the Lakers may pull off their RIGGIN' FOR WIGGINS scenario.

Of course, the ultimate joker in the deck is Jimmy Buss.  If it were Jeannie running things, I could see this happening.  But who knows with Jimmy.

YES! Jimmy is dumb enough to improve the LAkers just enough, so they will be bad, but not top five bad. . .

Michael Carter Williams 27% shooting percentage and 18% three point percentage during summer league. Not really sure which team will win more games next year. The Eagles under Chip Kelly or the Sixers under, well they haven't actually bothered to hire a coach. Going to be a long, dreadful, season.

The Sixers, only because no NBA team is bad enough to win only 5-6 games :)

I dunno. The Bobcats have been historically bad but teams nowadays seem to coast way too much for a historically bad team to win less than 9 games. No one would bat an eyelash if the future-Hornets caught the Heat, Spurs, Thunder, whomever at home and beat them, teams taking nights off against shittier clubs, coming off x amount of games in x amount of days, or resting guys means that no team will ever lose less than 9 games.

The Bobcats were on pace to do it a few years ago I think during the lockout season but if it was a full 82 games they would've caught enough teams towards the end to push themselves far above 9 wins.

Guest The Magnificent 7

On the bright side, at least you have the Royce White era to look forward to.