DVDVR Message Board

2013 NBA Offseason

Dolfan in NYC

The New York Knicks have reshuffled their front office yet again, announcing Thursday that former executive Steve Mills has rejoined the organization as president and general manager, replacing Glen Grunwald.

Grunwald, who served as GM for two seasons, will be reassigned as an advisor, the team announced.

Posted Image

Does anyone not named Dwyane Wade think that Dwyane Wade is a better player than James Harden right now?  He is clearly the best 2-guard in the league right now, but I guess if a one-legged 2-guard that is clearly a detriment to his team is going to use it for motivation, who am I to argue.

• Like 1

But if we are talking strictly the 2 position, then they are both clearly top 5-10.  It's not exactly a strong position these days.  Kobe, Harden, Wade are the only ones I'd really consider elite.  Past that, it's just a pile of ok/decent with Ellis, Beal, etc.

Ok.. I'm going to move this discussion away from the Lebron dickriding.  It's disgusting and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

But if we are talking strictly the 2 position, then they are both clearly top 5-10.  It's not exactly a strong position these days.  Kobe, Harden, Wade are the only ones I'd really consider elite.  Past that, it's just a pile of ok/decent with Ellis, Beal, etc.

Paul George is somewhere in between those two groups.  He played the 3 quite a bit last year, but with Granger back I would assume he starts at the 2. Don't forget that guy.  But yeah... those guys are obviously the top tier of shooting guards.  It's still the weakest position in the NBA.

Yeah. I don't have Harden or Wade in my top 10. No Way.

And your top ten is?

It would be hard for me to narrow down to 10, let alone rank them.  1 and 2 are pretty easy, but everything after that is jumbled now because of all the injuries last year.  There are at least 4 point guards I would rank over Wade and Harden without even hesitating: CP3, Rose, Westbrook and Parker. There is a case to be made for quite a few more.  It's the strongest position in the league and the young guys keep getting better, so I wouldn't be surprised if some new names cracked the top 10 list next year.

Lebron, KD, Melo are all clearly better than Harden and Wade at this point.  That's up to 7 names now and I haven't even mentioned any bigs.  

You can point to Wade's efficiency and defense to list him ahead of Harden.  He is clearly still one of the best two-way shooting guards in the league, but the shooting efficiency is a little misleading.  He has pretty much given up on shooting 3's, which, if he was on a different team, would be a glaring weakness. He doesn't have the offensive weight on his shoulders that Harden does because LEBRON.  His knees are shot..  Fuck, I think I might have just talked myself into Harden over Wade.  Still.  It's hard for me to make a case for either guy in the top 10.

A thought that came up today while talking with a coworker about the Wade/Durant thing....and its a big what if...but I was wandering what you all would say.

What if in 2003 instead of Cleveland having the #1 pretty much any other of the lottery teams had the #1. Assuming Lebron still goes first and everything else plays out as is ie he leaves for Miami...how different would the narrative of his career be? And would it change the impact if he then went to Cleveland after this season? 

I think the first item is easiest to predict:  LeBron was going #1, no matter who had the pick.  No team wanted to look back in 10 years when he took over the NBA and realize they had him in their hands only to let him go.

Had he gone to Detroit, the Pistons extend their run for at least a couple of years.  Beyond that?  There's a lot of scenarios on the table.