DVDVR Message Board

2013 NBA Offseason

Dolfan in NYC

Hate to see Miller go, but his salary pushed Miami way into the lux-tax penalty.  Arison clearly wants to keep down costs.  Miller will always have his seven 3-points aginst OKC and his Shoeless Joe moment this year in the Finals.

He tried to throw the finals?

I really, really am hating the idea of Kris Humphries on the Celtics when Kelly Olynyk has been tearing it UP in the summer league. I'd much rather they dump him for something and just commit to Olynyk so that in two-three seasons, he's a beast.

I really, really am hating the idea of Kris Humphries on the Celtics when Kelly Olynyk has been tearing it UP in the summer league. I'd much rather they dump him for something and just commit to Olynyk so that in two-three seasons, he's a beast.

What makes you think that Humphries will take minutes away from Olynyk?  I could see the Celtics splitting the 48 minutes at power forward between Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk, with Humphries and Brandon Bass (if still on the roster) only getting minutes if one of the two young guys are injured or in foul trouble or if they play out-of-position as centers.

There is a lot power forwards on that Celtics' roster.  Someone is going get moved.  If everyone stays, at least one of them is going to be playing some time as an undersized center this year.

I know there are financial reasons for why Miami got rid of Miller, but he was worth more to them than a couple of players still on that team.  They better hope this leads to them acquiring a serviceable center.

Miller and Joel Anthony were the only two guys under consideration for amnesty with Miami. While he doesn't contribute nearly as much as Miller, Anthony's salary is much lower and cutting him wouldn't help that much with the lux tax.  They should be able to find another sharpshooter.  I think they're pretty high on James Ennis, who they go in the second round during this year's draft.  They may have him go to Europe for the year, though.  It remains to be seen if they pursue Greg Oden.

When does the amnesty clause run out? Like is there a set time period or will teams be able to use it untill the new cba?

From reading ESPN and Grantland, teams can only use the amnesty once, AND on a player whose contract was signed before the last CBA, and that team had to be the one who signed the player. So if hypothetically, Miami had traded Miller to say, the Bobcats, Charlotte could not use the amnesty then on Miller.

With those restrictions the number of players left is shrinking very rapidly. . .

I kinda like all the Lakers signings this offseason. They improved their depth, could make the playoffs, BUT there is enough potential disaster to get us a higher draft pick! :)

Am I a bad person by wishing for the latter? 

From reading ESPN and Grantland, teams can only use the amnesty once, AND on a player whose contract was signed before the last CBA, and that team had to be the one who signed the player. So if hypothetically, Miami had traded Miller to say, the Bobcats, Charlotte could not use the amnesty then on Miller.

With those restrictions the number of players left is shrinking very rapidly. . .

Who IS technically eligible at this point?  I can think of Kobe, Dirk, Pau(?), maybe Marion?