DVDVR Message Board

RAW is uncomfortably personal

Brian Fowler

Well, he already grinded on NXT mobs for a long time, he's not getting enough XP down there. He should wait for a double XP weekend of house shows.

I cannot like this post enough as dorky as it makes me to admit it.

A couple wins over some tanks like Sheamus or Barrett could have him main eventing on Superstars in no time.

Anyone who can listen to Ric Flair's podcast and still defend that angle, I just don't know what to say.

The thing that really bothers me is that idea that Charlotte came up with the idea of the angle according to people in the WWE.  No idea who that person was.   Flair said that isn't true.   So either Flair is lying to protect his daughter from a borderline offensive angle or someone in the WWE is a real scumbag trying to pass the buck

I'm gonna be that guy and say; I didn't think it was that big a deal. As others have said; It's not like Reid was constantly in the picture or that he was super famous and so everyone knew what was going on. It honestly felt like half the crowd went "huh??" because they had no idea what Paige was talking about.

It's certainly well below Orton's "Eddie's in hell" promo form a decade ago.

Anyone who can listen to Ric Flair's podcast and still defend that angle, I just don't know what to say.

The thing that really bothers me is that idea that Charlotte came up with the idea of the angle according to people in the WWE. No idea who that person was. Flair said that isn't true. So either Flair is lying to protect his daughter from a borderline offensive angle or someone in the WWE is a real scumbag trying to pass the buck

Or maybe she's just lying to her old man because she knew he'd be upset.

I had a fairly negative reaction to this angle, but a friend pointed out that I'd been fine with them using Paul Bearer's death in the run up to Punk/Taker.

There's various reasons for that, relative age, circumstances of death, the argument that Percy was in the business, and would have gotten a kick out of the whole thing, but I kinda wonder if the real reason isn't just that that was well-executed and this wasn't.

Punk's actions played off of the history of the urn, and also came off as a dick move from a dick character, (cue the interjection from someone who thinks it's really important to let us know it's not a character,) whereas mocking dead relatives is kind of out of left field for Paige, and it's hard not to watch it and be hyper-aware that it was scripted.

I had a fairly negative reaction to this angle, but a friend pointed out that I'd been fine with them using Paul Bearer's death in the run up to Punk/Taker.

There's various reasons for that, relative age, circumstances of death, the argument that Percy was in the business, and would have gotten a kick out of the whole thing, but I kinda wonder if the real reason isn't just that that was well-executed and this wasn't.

Punk's actions played off of the history of the urn, and also came off as a dick move from a dick character, (cue the interjection from someone who thinks it's really important to let us know it's not a character,) whereas mocking dead relatives is kind of out of left field for Paige, and it's hard not to watch it and be hyper-aware that it was scripted.

Besides the fact that the Punk angle was actually good, another major difference is the person on the receiving end.  With Taker, you know he was OK with it.  If he wasn't that shit would have never made air.

With Charlotte, it's a pretty safe bet that she didn't have much of a choice.  Or at least didn't think she had much of a choice.

Seems to me that they didn't give a shit and just decided to roll the dice. Bad feedback, they release a statement (which they are); good feedback, then it's heat for an angle that worked and boo-hoo for whoever didn't like it. That's whether it was Charlotte's idea like they say or it was forced on her. Either way, they didn't care. It's not like Flair is gonna boycott them no matter how much he dislikes it.

Watched what I managed of the ESPANOL~! replay. Verdict: Cesaro/Reigns was damn good with Cesaro working a million dodges and reversals all the way up to the end to make it a stellar match. Reigns held up his end best he could, though he looked outclassed. The angle at the end came off like they were grasping at straws and it clearly made both women uncomfortable to try and work with, Paige because she has a heart and Charlotte because it's her fucking brother and she broke down introducing the idea that they would go there in the first place. Bad heat, and the "brawl" sucked too with Paige's cheap studs on her jacket flying all over the place -- falling on those probably hurt worse than being hit by Charlotte. 

Was David Flair the worst wrestler ever whose father was an all-time great?  (or the best, whatever)

So who would you put on that list? "All-time great" is obviously subjective, but here's who occurs to me as children of potential all-time greats:

David & Charlotte Flair

Dustin & Cody Rhodes

David Sammartino

David Benoit

Shaul Guerrero

Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr.

El Hijo Del Santo

Blue Demon Jr. (adopted)

Jimmy Snuka Jr(Deuce from Deuce and Domino)