DVDVR Message Board

RAW is uncomfortably personal

Brian Fowler

...I'm going to assume it goes without saying that I was referring to his in-ring ability rather than saying he was a swell guy, and ask why you think he wasn't?

You're mentioning him in the same breath as Flair, Dusty, Bruno, and Santo. It's not like you're listing every spawn of a good worker. I don't see Curtis Axel's name on your list.

To be fair, it's relatively easy to forget that Curtis (as well as Bray and Bo) is a second-generation product of a Hall of Fame superstar, since the WWE basically ignores that completely with even the stupid name they assigned to him, outside of the odd allusion on commentary or the "Better than Perfect" t-shirt he had a couple of years ago.

I highly doubt Ric didn't know.

"Obviously I have an opinion, but I'm afraid to voice it because I don't want anything to affect Ashley's career" - Ric Flair on Raw angle

"I don't think she feels she's comfortable enough to say 'no' to anything yet, she's only been up there three-months" - Flair on his podcast

This is absolutely heart breaking to hear Ric describe the Raw angle - he was NOT given warning and started crying during the segment

"If I was a fan I wouldn't like it" - Ric Flair on the Raw angle

No one called Ric on Monday and no one called him today about the angle involving Reid's name being used

https://twitter.com/LAWradio

• Like 1

He was kind of a fun character, but he couldn't work a lick.

He did have that deeply uncomfortable ass whipping from Taker in the build to the Mania match. That was... Something

Then there's Hogan beating the shit out of David Flair on a WCW PPV with his weightlifting belt. So David Flair at least got his ass kicked on national TV by two of the greatest wrestlers of the modern era (sure both were in support of angles with those superstars and Ric but I digress)

...I'm going to assume it goes without saying that I was referring to his in-ring ability rather than saying he was a swell guy, and ask why you think he wasn't?

You're mentioning him in the same breath as Flair, Dusty, Bruno, and Santo. It's not like you're listing every spawn of a good worker. I don't see Curtis Axel's name on your list.

To be fair, it's relatively easy to forget that Curtis (as well as Bray and Bo) is a second-generation product of a Hall of Fame superstar, since the WWE basically ignores that completely with even the stupid name they assigned to him, outside of the odd allusion on commentary or the "Better than Perfect" t-shirt he had a couple of years ago.
I didn't forget about Hennig or the Von Erichs for that matter, I just set the cutoff point for "all time great" in my head a bit higher. Opinions differ, of course but only one person so far has had to be a damned drama queen in expressing theirs.

Cristobal, keep fighting the good fight.

Yeah, ok, because clearly the reason I posted that list was me thinking "Yes, now I'll finally have that argument about Benoit's relative ability!" and never mind that the next person on the list was Eddie's daughter, when their US careers were damn near mirrors of each other.

Wow...THIS the Raw thread that finally breaks double digit pages again?

Some great matches on the show, but the predictable finishes suck the life out of some of the excitement.  Still fun, though.  Cesaro/Reigns was a clinic that should have had a screw job finish.  <--Yes, I'm that guy.  And Reigns' selling is terrible, but I realize that's probably not on him.

The Paige/Flair stuff was so bad that I devolved into new lows of conspiratorial smark, wondering if they weren't setting them up for a massive failure because now that Rousey lost, someone up high thinks that the glamour of fighting women is over and they want an immediate excuse to cut the women from TV.  I don't really believe that, but I couldn't think of any other reason for something so weak.  The brawl was okay. 

Visibly 30 year-old Charlotte telling visibly 20 year-old Paige that "I wanted to be like you!" was way more embarrassing than the cheap heat stuff.

• Like 1

The good: having a legit heated angle in a women feud (or, really, any feud). 

The bad: using a real-life drug overdose to get heat. 

I get WHY they did it and there's something to be said about WWE needing to push the envelope and get edgier but man...this is a hard one. 

\

Visibly 30 year-old Charlotte telling visibly 20 year-old Paige that "I wanted to be like you!" was way more embarrassing than the cheap heat stuff.

Paige has been wrestling 10 years, Charlotte 3 years.  I'm sure when she walked into FCW and saw Paige she probably thought that was the level she wanted to get to.

• Like 3

This is the most uninspired the WWE has been in quite some time.  That's really saying something considering the booking over the last few years. Everything is so meaningless.  This tournament could have been super exciting even with everyone knowing that Roman was going to win.  How can you waste what is perhaps one of the most talented in-ring rosters they have ever had?

I know they have way too many hours of content to create per week, but something has to change.  

\

Paige has been wrestling 10 years, Charlotte 3 years.  I'm sure when she walked into FCW and saw Paige she probably thought that was the level she wanted to get to.

That doesn't explain the "I was a naive girl from Charlotte and you were the British badass!" thing.  It came off as more personality-based than in-ring.  But I shouldn't nitpick - the whole thing was terribly scripted and delivered.

People are complaining about Roman not selling the arm, yet Cesaro clearly wasn't selling his own kayfabe arm injury either. I'm just gonna assume both of them are too hoss to not "fight through the pain".

It was more than the arm for me. He never looks like he's near tapping, for instance.

I didn't forget about Hennig or the Von Erichs for that matter, I just set the cutoff point for "all time great" in my head a bit higher. Opinions differ, of course but only one person so far has had to be a damned drama queen in expressing theirs.

Cristobal, keep fighting the good fight.

Yeah, ok, because clearly the reason I posted that list was me thinking "Yes, now I'll finally have that argument about Benoit's relative ability!" and never mind that the next person on the list was Eddie's daughter, when their US careers were damn near mirrors of each other.

Dude...I was agreeing with you...You made sensible points that, for whatever reason, were totally ignored when Morelock first replied to you.

I highly doubt Ric didn't know.

"Obviously I have an opinion, but I'm afraid to voice it because I don't want anything to affect Ashley's career" - Ric Flair on Raw angle

"I don't think she feels she's comfortable enough to say 'no' to anything yet, she's only been up there three-months" - Flair on his podcast

You would think that someone who has been in the business for as many decades would realize saying you have an opinion but not saying does about the same harm as just flat out saying it.    

Dude...I was agreeing with you...You made sensible points that, for whatever reason, were totally ignored when Morelock first replied to you.

Mea culpa, I misunderstood. Benoit's always a touchy subject. Praising his wrestling ability always feels like saying what a good public speaker Hitler was.

You would think that someone who has been in the business for as many decades would realize saying you have an opinion but not saying does about the same harm as just flat out saying it.

Subtlety isn't necessarily Ric's strong suit. I think he's trying to be politic about what he says about WWE while still making his displeasure known, but it's a bit clumsy, yeah.

Mea culpa, I misunderstood. Benoit's always a touchy subject. Praising his wrestling ability always feels like saying what a good public speaker Hitler was.

Oh, I know. I totally agree.

Well, he already grinded on NXT mobs for a long time, he's not getting enough XP down there. He should wait for a double XP weekend of house shows.

I cannot like this post enough as dorky as it makes me to admit it.

A couple wins over some tanks like Sheamus or Barrett could have him main eventing on Superstars in no time.

Anyone who can listen to Ric Flair's podcast and still defend that angle, I just don't know what to say.

The thing that really bothers me is that idea that Charlotte came up with the idea of the angle according to people in the WWE.  No idea who that person was.   Flair said that isn't true.   So either Flair is lying to protect his daughter from a borderline offensive angle or someone in the WWE is a real scumbag trying to pass the buck

Anyone who can listen to Ric Flair's podcast and still defend that angle, I just don't know what to say.

The thing that really bothers me is that idea that Charlotte came up with the idea of the angle according to people in the WWE. No idea who that person was. Flair said that isn't true. So either Flair is lying to protect his daughter from a borderline offensive angle or someone in the WWE is a real scumbag trying to pass the buck

Or maybe she's just lying to her old man because she knew he'd be upset.