DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL - WEEK ELEVEN

Gonzo

Frankly, he probably should be. He can't make throws anymore, and could be one really good shot away from permanent injury. IF the NFL had any ethics, they wouldn't let guys like him and Welker and God knows who else play at all. . . .

Frankly, he probably should be. He can't make throws anymore, and could be one really good shot away from permanent injury. IF the NFL had any ethics, they wouldn't let guys like him and Welker and God knows who else play at all. . . .

I'm pretty sure that would be illegal.  If he wants to play and someone wants to pay him, the NFL can't tell him no.  If all the teams get together and decide to not sign him, that is collusion.  This has nothing to do with ethics, and everything to do with supply and demand.  His skills are in demand, and he's willing to supply them.  That is how the economy works.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that would be illegal. If he wants to play and someone wants to pay him, the NFL can't tell him no. If all the teams get together and decide to not sign him, that is collusion. This has nothing to do with ethics, and everything to do with supply and demand. His skills are in demand, and he's willing to supply them. That is how the economy works.
Very true but it would be nice if teams were smart enough to see his skills are gone. As the saying goes "Father Time is undefeated".

I'm pretty sure that would be illegal. If he wants to play and someone wants to pay him, the NFL can't tell him no. If all the teams get together and decide to not sign him, that is collusion. This has nothing to do with ethics, and everything to do with supply and demand. His skills are in demand, and he's willing to supply them. That is how the economy works.
Very true but it would be nice if teams were smart enough to see his skills are gone. As the saying goes "Father Time is undefeated".

I've said this about other people but it makes sense for him, too: on field is only half of the equation. Maybe a little more in football but it's not the whole picture. Filling the stadium and selling jerseys is the other half. Someone will pay him to play if he wants to. I suspect as I said it's the New York Jets but I could be wrong.

I like how Peyton Manning playing football is morally wrong, like all those other dudes who are shortening their lives is fine and dandy.  There have been two lacerated kidneys this season, and no one blinked an eye.  Peyton Manning tears a plantar fascia, and he's going to die on the field.  

• Like 3

I think the more damning issue is that there is demand for him at this point at all.  It wasn't like the signs of this haven't been obvious all season but who would you replace him with then?  The lack of starting level quarterbacks has always been and will always be an issue for the NFL.

I like how Peyton Manning playing football is morally wrong, like all those other dudes who are shortening their lives is fine and dandy.  There have been two lacerated kidneys this season, and no one blinked an eye.  Peyton Manning tears a plantar fascia, and he's going to die on the field.  

For me, its that the CTE issue has been raised and you see guys walking with canes has elevated my personal awareness.  Not saying its not a damn dangerous game and people get hurt, but knowing that and seeing the results more and more, it takes the "romance" out of a guy staying too long. . . . . and with Manning specifically its not like this is the first time its been mentioned. Especially since he admits to not having feeling in parts of his fingers. 

For me, its that the CTE issue has been raised and you see guys walking with canes has elevated my personal awareness.  Not saying its not a damn dangerous game and people get hurt, but knowing that and seeing the results more and more, it takes the "romance" out of a guy staying too long. . . . . and with Manning specifically its not like this is the first time its been mentioned. Especially since he admits to not having feeling in parts of his fingers. 

I guess, but every single player in the NFL is getting hit in the head over and over again.  Who is the Bronco's starting left guard?  That guy is in far more danger than Peyton Manning when it comes to CTE.  Manning is an old ass quarterback, who has been terrible this season, he isn't an invalid.  He isn't in any more danger than anyone else. 

Manning won't retire until he has Favre's INT and fumbles record as well. He only needs 85 and 99 of each. I think he can do it if he plays like he is now. Let him play! Oh, and a stat just to antagonize Phil, remember Kerry Collins setting the record for fumbles in a season with the Giants in 2001? Memories...

Edit: Oh, and Peyton would need 223 sacks to reach Favre as well, wow Favre got smashed to the ground way more than I remember.