DVDVR Message Board

2016 MLB Hall of Fame Thread

Joe Lucia

Piazza is the best hitting catcher of all time and has no steroid evidence against him.  What are you even arguing?

I can't begin to understand how anyone would think steroids allowed Bonds to do what he did at the plate. Steroids isn't magic. Bonds was a once in a lifetime hitter. He would go days without seeing a pitch to hit. Then he'd get a pitch and hit it out of the park. Who else could have done that?  He never even really fell off either. He was forced out of baseball. He was still a top player even in his final year with the Giants

All you have to do is look at his stats at a point in time where we know he was linked to PEDs.  They're not the same as they were before that point.  This is a rare point of view.  Even guys that are pro Bonds don't typically try to say something as crazy as that he didn't get any benefit from PEDs. 

Evidence against Mike Piazza is all speculative.  All evidence against Barry Bonds is all speculative.  There are plenty of sportswriters who have insinuated that Mike Piazza told them straight up that he used...off the record.  His peers swear that he was a user, the internet is full of reports of players of his time outright saying that he was clearly a steroid guy.  The only difference is that people don't want to believe the Piazza rumors, and they do want to believe the Bonds rumors.  If anything else there is more proof that Bonds didn't(I know he did) than Piazza based on how much time was spent in court trying to prove that he did.   

Piazza also doesn't have the very clear and obvious spike in his stats (especially power stats) that Bonds has between when he was allegedly clean (1999) and when he starts using (2000).  

I'm under no circumstances saying Bonds should not be in, nor am I saying Piazza didn't use, but in Bonds' case there is a lot more smoke even though the fire has never been discovered. 

• Like 1

Piazza also doesn't have the very clear and obvious spike in his stats (especially power stats) that Bonds has between when he was allegedly clean (1999) and when he starts using (2000).  

I'm under no circumstances saying Bonds should not be in, nor am I saying Piazza didn't use, but in Bonds' case there is a lot more smoke even though the fire has never been discovered. 

The thing about Piazza is that his peers think the only way he got to the big leagues is because of his steroid use.  He wasn't really a highly touted prospect, he wasn't a high draft pick, and the players he was playing with in high school and college feel like there was a spike in his skill level.  There is other speculation about his back acne and other circumstantial evidence, but if you google Mike Piazza and steroids and almost every story states that he's a guy that other baseball players name when it comes to steroids.  Could it be sour grapes from players he surpassed along the way?  Yes, or it could be that he was a steroid user.