DVDVR Message Board

2016 MLB Hall of Fame Thread

Joe Lucia

Wow, that's a lot higher than I expected for Hell's Bells.  Guess he'll get in eventually. 

I will all but guarantee that whoever didn't vote for Griffey will say: "No one gets in during the steroid era"  OR (and I pray it's this one) "If Ruth didn't get 100, no one does."

Either way, they're assholes.  

Congrats to Junior and Piazza. 

• Like 1

Votes Percentage
437 Ken Griffey Jr. 99.3%
365 Mike Piazza 83.0%
315 Jeff Bagwell 71.6%
307 Tim Raines 69.8%
296 Trevor Hoffman 67.3%
230 Curt Schilling 52.3%
199 Roger Clemens 45.2%
195 Barry Bonds 44.3%
191 Edgar Martinez 43.4%
189 Mike Mussina 43.0%
180 Alan Trammell 40.9%
150 Lee Smith 34.1%
92 Fred McGriff 20.9%
73 Jeff Kent 16.6%
68 Larry Walker 15.5%
54 Mark McGwire 12.3%
51 Gary Sheffield 11.6%
46 Billy Wagner 10.5%
31 Sammy Sosa 7.0%
11 Jim Edmonds 2.5%
8 Nomar Garciaparra 1.8%
3 Mike Sweeney 0.7%
2 David Eckstein 0.5%
2 Jason Kendall 0.5%
1 Garret Anderson 0.2%
0 Brad Ausmus 0.0%
0 Luis Castillo 0.0%
0 Troy Glaus 0.0%
0 Mark Grudzielanek 0.0%
0 Mike Hampton 0.0%
0 Mike Lowell 0.0%
0 Randy Winn 0.0%

The whole list. So what's worse, that three didn't vote for Jr. or that three DID vote for Mike Sweeney? 

God damn just fuck this worthless hall.

The two guys who are in both deserve it, nothing but respect. But neither of them were close to Bonds, and fuck it is absurd. Two fucking people on a ballot with ~a dozen worthy guys.

Well I want to know what goes through someone's mind when they vote for David Eckstein.  Maybe they also voted for Bonds so I'm not saying they voted him over Barry but it just reinforces the idea that these people are mostly clueless. I don't want to pick on Eckstein but fuck it he's a millionaire so why should he care.

Look at him.   .280 career hitter. Okay, cool.  Fine. He was a solid hitter. I guess. That .701 OPS doesn't look great. It doesn't even look good. He was an okay fielder. Ah fuck it. Why bother.

Well I want to know what goes through someone's mind when they vote for David Eckstein.  Maybe they also voted for Bonds so I'm not saying they voted him over Barry but it just reinforces the idea that these people are mostly clueless. I don't want to pick on Eckstein but fuck it he's a millionaire so why should he care.

Look at him.   .280 career hitter. Okay, cool.  Fine. He was a solid hitter. I guess. That .701 OPS doesn't look great. It doesn't even look good. He was an okay fielder. Ah fuck it. Why bother.

I think it is probably a favor for a guy the writer likes. God help us all if it is more than that. . .

@josecanseco

Congrats to Junior the 3rd teammate off my Springfield Nuclear Power Plant team to make the Baseball Hall of Fame! hug for Mike Piazza too

Art Howe outright stole Mr. Burns' "Get up there and hit a home run!" strategy when he managed the A's.

• Like 1

That fucking sucks that Edmonds fell off the ballot.

Bonds should be in no doubt in my mind but the Baseball writers don't seem to grasp the Musem part of the equation. Just put in on the fucking Plague like Rose and Clemens. Hell Shoeless Joe as well.

I was looking through the guys with the most hits and confused by the limited push at the time for some guys like Al Oliver, Vada Pinson and other similar guys who were borderline in theory but had no support at all? Anyone more familiar with those types of guys not getting in while guys with technically shittier careers did? Weird voter intangible necessities?

Edmonds was a Brewer, The Cardinals fan voters automatically didn't vote for him and forced the rest of the votes for him to not be tabulated via hacking. Maybe it was his lack of total hits? Sub 2k.

So, is Jim Edmonds the best player ever to be a one and done on the ballet? Ken Griffey Jr. put up 77.7 WAR in his career, Edmonds put up 64.5. One is the highest percentage of votes ever, the other can't stay on the ballet. 

I would take Willie Randolph, Andres Galarraga and Ken Singleton over Edmonds (in regards to one and doners)

I also would have thought that whole cadre of Jays from the early 90s would have gotten more consideration but Joe Carter, Jimmy Key and Dave Stieb all only lasted a year.

And yes Whitaker was one and done (and using BR's version of WAR - Whitaker was 74.9 while Edmonds was 60.3 - but using WAR is stupid but that is another discussion)

This all being said - I don't know exactly how to "fix" this issue. 1st year guys can't be exempt because the ballot already is bulky to begin with. 

Unless.... they could someone figure out a way to do a sorta 1st year guy play-in ballot and say only the Top 5 make it to the real ballot. (Then they could be exempt). I mean the writers would just fuck that up too.