DVDVR Message Board

2016 MLB Hall of Fame Thread

Joe Lucia

Loverro is a wrestling guy, before you completely castiagte him.

I like how you think that being a "wrestling guy" is a positive ;)

It is a wrestling board (nominally). ;)

*COUGH*tax shelter*COUGH*

7th in JAWS at 2B. Everyone else in the top 10 is in, along with 13, 14, 15, 19, 20. Slightly abbreviated career, and like Tabe said, the low BA probably mattered more than his great OBP.

HOF discussions both entertain and enrage me.

Bobby Grich was a fantastic player. He didn't get more recognition for the same reasons that Graig Nettles and Darrell Evans didn't. When he was eligible most voters saw nothing but BA as the be all end all. Hitting for a high average was not one of the things that these three gentlemen did well, but I doubt you would find any major league manager that wouldn't want any or all of them in his line-up. (They did a hell of a lot of other things really well, and as we've learned, BA can be very misleading.)

Trammell is one of the bigger snubs of the last 20 odd years. Pretty crazy to me that he's not in. Whitaker being pretty much one and done on the ballot is pretty baffling as well.

Not that I think he should be in, but does anyone know why Bill Madlock never got any HoF support? One ballot and 4% and gone. He was before my time, but he came up when batting average was king and very few players have won 4 batting titles. His OBP is nothing great, but would that have really been a consideration at the time? You'd think 2000+ hits, the batting titles and being an important pickup for the 79 Pirates would have at least got him through a couple years of ballots.

That Trammell isn't in proves that the BBWA don't know what they are seeing when they are seeing it. As for Maddog, I remember him quite well, and even with the batting titles no one ever suggested he was an elite player during or immediately after his career. His OBP should be MUCH better considering the protection he usually had. Hall of the Very Good at best.

I hope you guys put up a poll again this year so I can vote just for Larry Walker then watch people get mad that SOME IDIOT didn't vote for some of the obvious candidates. That was fun last year.

Larry Walker is my HOF measuring stick, I think. As good or better than Walker, in you go.

I thought he was fucking awesome. I know his Coors numbers and the injuries later on in his career bring him down a bit in some folks eyes, but by both JAWS and WAR, he is a better RF than guys already inducted.

Just for kicks, I looked up his slashes from Coors Field. Straight ridiculous: .381/.462/.710  What a stud.

Also, he won the Tip O'Neill Award 9 times!!

• Like 1

Larry Walker was a great player. And he had some great years - 1997 - where he was a beast at home and on the road. But too much of his career was like 1999 - .461 at home, .286 on the road - to make a very convincing argument that he was anything other than a creation of Coors Field.

Larry Walker was a great player. And he had some great years - 1997 - where he was a beast at home and on the road. But too much of his career was like 1999 - .461 at home, .286 on the road - to make a very convincing argument that he was anything other than a creation of Coors Field.

Same goes for another of Colorado's finest in Todd Helton. Great fucking ballplayer, but Home/Away numbers are just too ridiculous to overlook. .345 at home, .287 on the road.

Still love the shit out of both of them.

I think people overestimate Coors Field and just forget that both Walker and Helton were phenomenal players. Walker was a five tool player and Helton is as good of a defensive first baseman as anyone else in his era. It's a shame that they're not getting more consideration.

Loverro is a wrestling guy, before you completely castiagte him.

Anyone who doesn't vote for Bonds is a moron or just not paying attention. If he isn't a hall of famer then nobody is.

I know I'm not, but that's just typical New Mexico bias against Wisconsin, our eternal rivalry burns on.

The douche from the Chicago Sun-Times probably is the club house leader for worst voter this time around

Basically stating that his only mission is to keep roiders out of the Hall so he only voted for Junior, Trammell and Hoffmann and apparently he "fretted" over Hoffmann because he wasn't sure he didn't do PEDs

I am not linking to it because fuck him and his fucking shitty paper

The douche from the Chicago Sun-Times probably is the club house leader for worst voter this time around

Basically stating that his only mission is to keep roiders out of the Hall so he only voted for Junior, Trammell and Hoffmann and apparently he "fretted" over Hoffmann because he wasn't sure he didn't do PEDs

He wonders about Hoffman but not Griffey? WTF.

Guy should take a head first slide into a woodchipper and do us all a favor.