DVDVR Message Board

Raw Spoilers for 11/9/15

victor

I was amused at Wade Barrett doing a prat fall from that slap. I loved that Cesaro won but then realized "Sheamus is gonna cash in anyway". But yay for winning tonight. I mean if you're gonna win with a roll up of some sort, at least do one that's creative. Cesaro did that big time.

The Bray thing was so stupid. I would have rather seen Taker/Kane appear to be mere mortals. Show you know some vunerability. But instead it's the old "nah just have the old dudes squash the young guys". I swear, in ten years we're gonna still see Taker trotted out to do this.

Cesaro vs. Sheamus ruled. The Brothers of Destruction-Wyatts stuff was mostly good. Breeze got a lot in against Dean, and the tourney set up some good matches. They also planted a seed or two for a future Reigns turn.

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/j23gkrppoztg3ea35obvb5zv5p2o56eo

Screens - 

8792de445967552.jpg

6937e6445967680.jpg

Divas

4d6843445948123.jpg 

9262ad445948245.jpg 

808d67445948259.jpg 

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/j23gkrppoztg3ea35obvb5zv5p2o56eo

Getting beat by Undertaker and Kane is like losing to Doomsday and Galactus.

If the Wyatts can't handle that, then fuck them and fuck the people complaining about it.

I don't disagree with that in general, but why do that now a couple of weeks before you run them vs. The Brothers of Destruction and two other guys?

Undertaker and Kane's powers are unreliable at this point. Tonight they went Super Saiyan 3 and that will not work in an extended match where you need to get pin falls.

There is also Kane losing to Rollins clean and Taker losing to Brock. They need to look like a threat again. Personally I don't want them to lose again. I wanted Taker to kill Brock and Kane to beat Rollins. The company would be in better shape if that had happened. 

The same people bitching about this, wanted the streak to be ended by Ken Anderson years back.

• Like 1

While I usually groan when a 20-minute promo starts the show, I give HHH credit:  he 100% sold every reason Reigns should say FUCK IT and join The Authority.   That the only reason they didn't pick him from the beginning was because he was too damn prideful in wanting to earn his way.  Thing is, Reigns had earned his way in this scenario and HHH was practically giving him the belt with no hesitation.  Rollins didn't even get that good of a deal, sublty planting seeds for him to be salty when he returns and Reigns has his spot

HHH was the perfect snake in the garden, tempting the hero with the fruits of a richer Paradise.  And Reigns' face after his match had the slight look of "Maybe I shouldn't have blown Trips off so quickly."

And, there's the added bonus of the unasked question:  "Was picking Ambrose ever on the table?"

They did a good job of building that angle.

• Like 2

Cesaro/Sheamus was indeed awesome, reminded me of some of their great 2012 matches. All other matches went as expected. Nice finish in Ziggler/Miz. Liked seeing Becky get a win. Fun closing with Taker/Kane but as others have said, doesn't feel a point to a match anymore; they got their revenge.

You know it's the main roster because The New Day were the best thing on the show.

Can we leave the foreign sports talk to JBL? Even if his knowledge is paper-thin, hearing Cole repeatedly say "The Manchester United" (and "hitting a penalty kick") was maddening.

And poor Wade. He sold Rooney's slap like it wasn't the weakest strike since Trump. Also poor Darren Fletcher. Like seventy-five mentions of Rooney and he's just the bug-eyed weirdo sitting next to him. And what was Sheamus shouting about Gary Neville?

Interesting that there's at least two babyface matches for the second round.

I'm perfectly fine with the BoD/Wyatt angle because we got what we want, the Brothers kicking ass and holding their arms up, so we don't have to see any of that crap in the middle I was always going to hate.

...whattya mean, "not done"?

• Like 1

Watched bits and pieces of Raw last night for the first time in months, and some of the "little things" the show does simply frustrates me.  They don't make sense in real life, but the WWE wants us to believe that it does in the sports entertainment realm.

Two examples ...

-- Paige-Lynch match.  During the match, we get a peek of Charlotte watching said match from the back.  After Lynch wins, she's immediately attacked by Paige.  Presumably, if Charlotte was watching the match in the back, she saw Paige attack Lynch post-match.  So why did it take Charlotte seemingly forever to save her friend?  Did she get lost on the way to the ring?  Did she drink too much tea before the show and needed to stop in the Little Divas room?  And why does she need entrance music and a Titantron video to save the day?   It sounds silly, but it's those intangibles that make angles like this mind-boggling.

-- End of Naomi-Natalya match sees Sasha Banks attack Natalya, only for Nattie to reverse fortunes and put Banks in the Sharpshooter.  Tamina then superkicks Natalya, and Banks pops up and puts Natalya in her submission hold.

But lets go back to Natalya putting Sasha in the Sharpshooter.  As soon as Natalya locks it in, Sasha starts tapping furiously.  But once Tamina takes care of Natalya, Sasha simply gets up like nothing happened at all (she briefly put her hand to her back, but it looked more like a William Regal impression than someone with a hurt back).

Over the course of 30 seconds, the WWE managed to ...

-- Make Sasha look bad by tapping out to a finisher in half-a-second

-- Make Natalya look bad by suggesting that the Sharpshooter isn't that strong of a finisher, since Sasha simply bounced up after being locked in it for 15 seconds.

It's those little things that drive some viewers batty.

"Your perfume is getting to me, I'm outta here."

I wish they had done this during the Taker segment again so KO could continue the "oooh... the Undertaker" thing again.

That being said - it was really hard to focus on the video after seeing JoJo in those boots

Outstanding Raw, other than that first 20 minutes or so with the Reigns/Authority stuff.  But those people are always fast-forward material.  I've been down on the show for weeks, but this week was all matches with a purpose and it just felt fun to watch. 

I do feel like Brawny Towelman is the biggest jabroni on the roster, but that brawl at the end was fun and good times. 

New Day is so glorious.  "And Harry Potter sucks!"  

Kayfabe wise, why wouldn't John Cena or Brock Lesnar be a part of this tournament? Two of the biggest, most dominant stars, and they're nowhere to be found in this tournament vying for the top title in the business. And yet, there's Kalisto and Titus O'Neil

Well - kayfabe wise they could say that Cena had to stay in the States since he hosted the Today show the same day as RAW and he was bound contractually to do it

And with Lesnar - they could have Heyman just say that Brock doesn't waste his time in tournaments. When Brock decides he wants the title he will take the title from whomever is champ. (Also subtly saying it is better to only have to wrestle one match instead of four)

I know the veteran wrestlers love Bray and think he's the shit on the mic, and I think he's pretty damn awesome on the mic too, but it doesn't work well at all. Every time he has one of his long and spooky promos it is just damn boring. It basically takes a show that tries to present itself as sport and tries to pivot into a Six Flags Stunt Show. 

The problem isn't that they're not part of the tournament, but rather, it's not explained why they aren't.  Lesnar is simple--got staples to the head at HIAC, we're following concussion protocol, he's not medically cleared.  We know that's a crock since Brock would have to be decapitated to not go for a free chance to MDK others, and decapitation stopping him is only a 50/50 wager at best.  But that and his absence from the #1 contenders' tourney gives him an easy route to demanding a title shot.

Surely there's some half-decent story they can cook up for Cena.

I assume Cena is injured?

WWE always blows their chance to be pro wrestling. Del Rio should have pulled some major heel cheating shit and "injured" Cena. Heat on the heel, built in hot feud when Cena gets back, whether Del Rio has the belt or not. Wrestling 101.

Watched bits and pieces of Raw last night for the first time in months, and some of the "little things" the show does simply frustrates me.  They don't make sense in real life, but the WWE wants us to believe that it does in the sports entertainment realm.

Two examples ...

-- Paige-Lynch match.  During the match, we get a peek of Charlotte watching said match from the back.  After Lynch wins, she's immediately attacked by Paige.  Presumably, if Charlotte was watching the match in the back, she saw Paige attack Lynch post-match.  So why did it take Charlotte seemingly forever to save her friend?  Did she get lost on the way to the ring?  Did she drink too much tea before the show and needed to stop in the Little Divas room?  And why does she need entrance music and a Titantron video to save the day?   It sounds silly, but it's those intangibles that make angles like this mind-boggling.

-- End of Naomi-Natalya match sees Sasha Banks attack Natalya, only for Nattie to reverse fortunes and put Banks in the Sharpshooter.  Tamina then superkicks Natalya, and Banks pops up and puts Natalya in her submission hold.

But lets go back to Natalya putting Sasha in the Sharpshooter.  As soon as Natalya locks it in, Sasha starts tapping furiously.  But once Tamina takes care of Natalya, Sasha simply gets up like nothing happened at all (she briefly put her hand to her back, but it looked more like a William Regal impression than someone with a hurt back).

The first one's the easiest to explain. Charlotte thought Becky could still defend herself, once she realized that Paige was going for a submission hold that Becky couldn't get out of she made the save. As for her music/tron playing, the guy who plays that stuff is right by the entrance so he saw her run by and just instinctively hit her music

The second is Sasha knew Tamina was gonna come in anyway so she tapped furiously in order to get Nattie to let her guard down so Nattie wouldn't see the superkick coming. Sasha knew that Nattie would release the hold once Nattie heard the sound of her hand tapping the mat.