DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 4

RIPPA

Spent most of the day transporting mats from my bug out location at the red rocket and setting up power at the sanctuary...i still have about 15 turrets at RR (had an incident where some super mutants came calling and i stacked their corpses...well what parts i could find...in the middle of the road as a warning to any others that may have similar aspirations) which i will store when i get my supply lines going.

Shot down a gunner vertibird today, asshole gunners were snooping after i cleared some super mutants at the water treatment plant. I guess they thought rockets would scare me off. I, however, have a party crasher, and made an example of them as well.

Finished up the night by retaking the castle...the lights are on, the radio is broadcasting, and the fat man sang for the queen.

Considering how many people have said they didn't know about the hacking trick (including me) - I have to assume that is new for this game.

And yes - I am an idiot. It wasn't until last night that I figured out how to use VATS. Maybe I missed when the game popped up the help note or something but yeah...

I feel like I have had to Google a lot more stupid questions this time like "How do I get out of my Power Armor?"

Believe me rippa - it's not just you.

I had to google how to assign people to take care of fruit and veg in sanctuary.

Vats, I had to look at the keystrokes then it all came flooding back to me - now i need to learn how to turn off the pip boy light.

Figuring out how to throw grenades is the one that continually baffles me.

Of course, grenades are the least of my worries right now.  I played for 2-3 hours last night, and never fired a shot.  This crafting stuff is going to kill me.  I went up an entire level just working on my house in Sanctuary last night.

Figuring out how to throw grenades is the one that continually baffles me.

Who throws grenades manually?  I either used reverse pickpocket to stash them on enemies or targeted the legs of my enemies with VATS and then lobbed a pineapple.

I've now hit that lovely point in the game were all the main perks I wanted I already have. Sneak 4, Lockpick and Hacker 3, Marksman 4, Local Leader 2, Gun Nut 3 and Science 2. 

I'm at level 26, about 35 hours in, and the closest thing I have to a regret in this game is that I've played too much main story.

Unless I'm missing something you cannot throw grenades in VATS.

They are basically letting people figure out the game mechanics on their own. Risky move.

I'm still confused about assigning people to look after food and defensive postings in communities. Do you have to manually assign one person to just one food source? So if I have 5 tomato plants in one section of Sanctuary and 5 more on the other side of the house, do I need ten people assigned  for the ten plants for those tomatoes to grow? Does the community get food without a person assigned to a plant? Like, the community gets however additional food the melon plant grants them but I can't harvest it without somebody working the resource? Or is it useless in all regards if it's not being worked?

Also, how do invasions of settlements work? I believe there was a brief popup mentioning the more thriving a settlement is, the likelier it is to be invaded. But, is there a minimum level of sorts a community has to be before super mutants attack?

Whatever you build or plant is useless if you don't explicitly assign someone to work it. If you look at plants while in workshop mode, any plants with a green person next to them are being worked; any plants with a red person next to them are not. You need to find a free settler, target him or her, and click the "assign" button (which I think is X on PS4), and then go back to the thing that you want them to work (plants or guard post or whatever), target it, and hit the "assign" button again. Then and only then will the settler start working the plants or post or whatever it is that you want them to work.

I hope I understood what you were asking and answered it well enough. 

Mostly. So, say I have 5 tomato plants in Sanctuary. Does each one need to be worked by its own person? Or does one person work more than one plant? I've noticed that some plants weren't being worked when I left and then were once I returned sometime later. I didn't assign anybody to them, so maybe idle people will work food sources that need doing by their own will.

While normal weapons and the V.A.T.S system are easy to use by simply pressing a button, you may be a bit confused on how to use the feature with explosives, like grenades and molotov cocktails. While it took us a while to realize how to throw explosives normally (holding down the heavy melee button does the trick), using them in the V.A.T.S system wasn’t as technical as one would think.

So here’s how it works. Press the heavy melee button until you hear the clicking noise and then press the button to open up the V.A.T.S system. Now you should be able to use grenades or other explosives in slow motion, and watch as body parts start to fly.
  • Like 1

Unless I'm missing something you cannot throw grenades in VATS.

You can use just about any weapon in VATS including melee weapons.. 

Pretty much all I do. I've got that chained/nail baseball bat with which ol' Hacksaw goes to town on fools.

I could've sworn I tried holding R1 and then entering VATS after a few seconds without success. Thanks for that, Rippa. I'll give it another go.

It's been pretty tough sticking to heavy weapons and melee, as there's just not that much in the way of ammo for heavy weapons laying about. I think I found a huge chunk of 5mm ammo for the minigun on a super mutant but even the shops don't carry much 5mm ammo or missiles. I've spent 6 points on heavy weapon and melee perks, and while the latter is paying off in a huge way, it's tough going getting at snipers or enemies at a distance. 

I didnt realise until now that you hold the right mouse button and scroll down to reach the later levels of perks.

I'm a fucking idiot.

A level 17 idiot with really high special marks - but fuck all in perks.

This was me in F3 before I figured out that you could spend multiple points in some perks.