DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 4

RIPPA

Spoiler

Guys I’ve been playing this the last few months and just stumbled upon this thread. 

Level 48, beat the game about ten levels ago with the Railroad. Now happily exploring, doing side missions, building up my settlements and living in Sanctuary with my new wife Cait and (spoilerzzz) 

Spoiler

RoboShaun

• 4 weeks later...

How many playthroughs have you guys done? I've only done my one. I've done all of the endings b/c I have different save points but I think I'm going to make a brand new character and do a complete Brotherhood of Steel playthrough as the BOS is my favorite faction.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2018 at 1:11 PM, cwoy2j said:

How many playthroughs have you guys done?

Err. A bunch? I only have four or five characters, but I've run some of them through multiple times, either to try survival mode after it was created or just to do something somewhat differently.

I've STARTED a ton of playthroughs testing out mods, but most I usually delete after I get to about level 10-15. How many have I actually played through to the story's conclusion? 2 I think. 

The endings are such utter and complete shit sandwiches that I just end up doing side quests forever, just pretending the rest of their bullshit isn't even happening. 

I enjoyed the mechanics and sense of discovery of the game, the weapon customization, the fact that there's a real value to wearing Power Armor in this (as opposed to 3 or NV)...and they just flushed it all by not providing a better, less morally gray resolution that doesn't. Fricking. Involve. Nuking Everything Again. 

Oh yeah, many of the playthroughs I mentioned involve ignoring the main story completely (because it's ass). Once I get ridiculously high level and get the itch to start over and try something different, I consider that a finished playthrough.

Though I actually wish things were MORE morally gray, not less. I tried once playing a character who was basically decent but believed the Brotherhood's rhetoric about synths being abominations, but it's untenable. The game is too obvious about the fact that synths are just people. And when interacting with Nick Valentine, there aren't even dialogue options consistent with such a belief.

Edited by tbarrie

Exploring on Far Harbor and came across a fun battle between two irradiated Yao Guai and some high level trappers. It was fun watching them wreck each other until Nick Valentine decided to do his best Leroy Jenkins impression and go crashing the party with his mini gun, drawing all ire on us. 

To be fair, settlements are completely optional. That's part of the game's replay value for me; the decision whether to involve yourself with settlements feels important, and it has a big effect on how the game plays out.

But yeah, Far Harbour was the best part of the game. Automatron was good too.

I wasn't so much a fan of Automatron until that last fight, where shit's just popping off your Power Armor and I'm just sitting there screaming at the screen, trying to stay alive, and thinking the whole time, "Why can't every fight be as exhilarating as this?"

I suppose it's time for me to start a new game, since I never gave Nuka-World a look-see anyway. Maybe I'll do a straight Railroad ending this time; about the only one I haven't done.

8 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I wasn't so much a fan of Automatron until that last fight, where shit's just popping off your Power Armor and I'm just sitting there screaming at the screen, trying to stay alive, and thinking the whole time, "Why can't every fight be as exhilarating as this?"

I suppose it's time for me to start a new game, since I never gave Nuka-World a look-see anyway. Maybe I'll do a straight Railroad ending this time; about the only one I haven't done.

The end fight at the end of Automatron was one of the best battles I've had in any Fallout game. I usually play on the hard setting and that's one of the few times I've ever died multiple times.

27 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I skipped the end fight of Automatron. I just went straight to the Mechanist. Still that was a fun DLC. I also enjoyed the hell out of Far Harbor and the world space of Nuka World.

Far Harbor was the best DLC. I was a little disappointed in Nuka World. The only real quests you had were for the Raider factions. If you didn't want to do that, it was basically just wipe out all of the raiders and then you're done. And then Nuka World doesn't even change that much afterwards. 

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

Far Harbor was the best DLC. I was a little disappointed in Nuka World. The only real quests you had were for the Raider factions. If you didn't want to do that, it was basically just wipe out all of the raiders and then you're done. And then Nuka World doesn't even change that much afterwards. 

Nuka World story wise was the weakest of the story DLCs. They were so focused on all the players who complained about not being able to play raiders or be evil in general that they completely forgot about people who play generally good characters. The story was all the weaker for it. That especially annoyed me since it was the perfect place to do something more with the Minutemen. All that said, I absolutely love the world space itself. The terrain is neat, and the theme parks and attractions are great. I also dug the haunted house, and even the raiders to some extent though, again, much more could and should have been done there.

23 hours ago, Eivion said:

Nuka World story wise was the weakest of the story DLCs. They were so focused on all the players who complained about not being able to play raiders or be evil in general that they completely forgot about people who play generally good characters. The story was all the weaker for it. That especially annoyed me since it was the perfect place to do something more with the Minutemen. All that said, I absolutely love the world space itself. The terrain is neat, and the theme parks and attractions are great. I also dug the haunted house, and even the raiders to some extent though, again, much more could and should have been done there.

Agreed. The world itself is terrific (I would rate it an 8.5/10), but the "story" is like a 1/10. 

Does anyone know (and this might be an obvious question) if I can use my saves from the base Fallout 4 game in the Fallout 4 GOTY edition?

I never played any of the DLC and I have been thinking about going back to Fallout 4 to finish up random side quest type stuff that I never finished and if I can just pick up where I left off than I might as well grab the GOTY edition.

On 2/24/2018 at 10:47 PM, BrianS81177 said:

Agreed. The world [NukaWorld] itself is terrific (I would rate it an 8.5/10), but the "story" is like a 1/10. 

That seems a little harsh. They at least recognized that players might want to wipe out the raiders rather than work with them and supported it with a quest and some changed dialogue once you do. That's more consideration for alternate approaches than most quests in the main game got. And if you do want to run an army of raiders, the story was moderately engaging. I'd give it about 4/10.

On 2/25/2018 at 6:47 AM, RIPPA said:

Does anyone know (and this might be an obvious question) if I can use my saves from the base Fallout 4 game in the Fallout 4 GOTY edition?

I never played any of the DLC and I have been thinking about going back to Fallout 4 to finish up random side quest type stuff that I never finished and if I can just pick up where I left off than I might as well grab the GOTY edition.

Some googling suggests most people think you'll be able to, but nobody seems to have a definite answer.

I ended up falling asleep watching Youtube last night, and midway through the night I woke up to a Fallout 4 review on my tv and now I'm jonesin' to jump back into it.  I know I had TONS of stuff still to do, as I kind of fizzled out as soon as I beat the main story and  didn't even touch any of the DLC.  Plus I kind of miss my overpowered walking tank.

11 hours ago, CSC said:

I ended up falling asleep watching Youtube last night, and midway through the night I woke up to a Fallout 4 review on my tv and now I'm jonesin' to jump back into it.  I know I had TONS of stuff still to do, as I kind of fizzled out as soon as I beat the main story and  didn't even touch any of the DLC.  Plus I kind of miss my overpowered walking tank.

I've thought about going back through and trying to do more of a melee character, but that would last until the first time I heard "beep beep beep" from a Suicider and I'd be pissed off.

On 3/5/2018 at 11:26 AM, CSC said:

I started replaying the other day but haven't made a new character yet. Went back to my old character so I could get the hang of the controls again before starting a new playthrough. I forgot how overpowered my guy was. I think I'm on level 170 or something and pretty much have every perk maxed out. 

After two and a half years I thought this game had lost all capacity to surprise me, but I just burst out laughing at the discovery that Brooks in Far Harbour will buy the murder victim's skull for a single bottle cap.

I started a new playthrough with an overhaul mod called "Junkmaster". I would suggest checking it out. It adds some cut dialogue back in and adds a lot of weapons from FO3 and NV

• 4 weeks later...

Unbelievably, until recently I had never bothered renaming my weapons in FO4. Recently I finally got around to starting it. Here's what I've got so far. None of them are super original (most have already been posted online by someone else), but I did think a few of them up myself (except Sniper No Sniping, I stole that). Anyone else got any good ones they want to share?

10mm pistol with "Kneecapper" legendary effect: Plaxico Burress

Double Barrel Shotgun: Wabbit Season

Rockville Slugger (you buy it in Diamond City): added nails, named it "Steve Harrington Special"

Old Faithful (you buy it in Diamond City): Ronald Raygun

Laser Musket: Ratchet & Crank

Gauss Rifle: Ryan Gaussling

Sniper Rifle: Sniper No Sniping!

Minigun: Ol' Painless (I know, not very original)

Anti-Material Rifle (added in by Junkmaster mod): Rowdy Roddy Sniper