DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 4

RIPPA

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

The only of those DLC I would rank ahead of Far Harbor is Old World Blues.

Allow me to explain. Firstly I'm not saying I hated Far Harbor, just that I personally didn't get as invested in it as I had with the ones I mentioned. I will grant that Far Harbor is MUCH better playing with Nick than without him. But for me it just felt flat (though I got a laugh out of the Red Death quest I admit). 

Old World Blues I won't bother defending since we both seem to agree that it's tremendous. 

Honest Hearts I like better because it adds weapons and armor that I like a lot better (compared to the new stuff in Far Harbor) and it has a more personally invested story (choosing to side with Joshua or Daniel, with neither one seeming to be an ideal choice). Plus Honest Hearts adds the hidden "Survivalist" quest (where you find his caches hidden in caves and ultimately his body and rifle which may be my favorite Fallout weapon yet) which tells a great story via holotapes. 

Lonesome Road I liked because it always feels like such a challenge. The Marked Men are tough as nails, there's deathclaws everywhere and the final showdown with Ulysses can be either a great final battle or a simple conversation that leads to great rewards. Mostly I just like the gear you get. To me there is more to judge DLC on than just storyline. I judge it also by what kind of new weapons and armor are added, and I can honestly say that I really didn't use any of the new weapons from Far Harbor as much as I made use of the gear you get from Lonesome Road in New Vegas. 

Point Lookout was a lot like Lonesome Road because it always feels like a challenge. Those god damned hillbillies just won't fucking die. And I like the silly, bad sci-fi turn the story takes towards the end. 

The Pitt I may be willing to concede a little on as it is pretty tedious until you get your gear back, then it gets a lot better. 

I value story over cool gear. I love the Survivalist story and enjoy the general story of Honest Hearts, but its nothing amazing. Lonesome Road was solid but no. 3 for me when talking NV's DLC. Dug the bad sci-fi story with Point Lookout and it was nice to get a new map, but that was about it. I like the concept of the Pitt and some of story beats. It just needed more depth with the characters on the whole and to feel a little less tedious.

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread to say that clearing out the raiders at Nukaworld on Survival mode is bullshit. Half the time I entered the amphitheatre, I died before the user interface even became active. I eventually did it, but it was a pain.

I would run out of minigun rounds and wind up trying to kill it with a pipe gun. I did the building thing and it quit coming around until I'd leave the building, and then it'd pounce on me with a quickness. Some of us weren't meant to play survival.

Creation Club went live on PC today and will hit consoles tomorrow. Judging by the early comments, it's not going well. It's almost entirely stuff that is already available for free in mods, all priced high. Unless you want to pay 5 bucks for Giddyup Buttercup Power Armor. 

On 8/28/2017 at 1:24 PM, jstout said:

I would run out of minigun rounds and wind up trying to kill it with a pipe gun. I did the building thing and it quit coming around until I'd leave the building, and then it'd pounce on me with a quickness. Some of us weren't meant to play survival.

Fair enough. What made it frustrating for me was that there was no reasonable opportunity to sleep between the time you enter the museum and the time you kill the deathclaw. Makes trying different approaches to the deathclaw a bit time-consuming. I had actually been thinking of starting again with a different personality, but your reminding me of how annoying this part was is making me reconsider it.

Of course - you can always just ignore Preston and go about your merry way.

On 8/29/2017 at 3:21 AM, BrianS81177 said:

Creation Club went live on PC today and will hit consoles tomorrow. Judging by the early comments, it's not going well. It's almost entirely stuff that is already available for free in mods, all priced high. Unless you want to pay 5 bucks for Giddyup Buttercup Power Armor. 

I hadn't even heard of this before your post, but sure enough, there was an update yesterday that added it. There were only about a dozen things for sale, none of which interested me enough to pay money for them. And given that I paid for the season pass and got a fairly underwhelming set of DLCs, I'm reluctant to spend more money on the game, much as I like it.

On 8/29/2017 at 2:21 AM, BrianS81177 said:

Seems like they released it too early due to wanting to make the summer date. They also didn't really price things too well. Hopefully they make changes as more stuff is released. Some people are convinced nothing worthwhile like quests and expansion level stuff is coming yet at least one person hired by CC has already confirmed that is more or less exactly the type of stuff he is working on. He also said those things take time, and the opening CC material would be weak. They probably should have dragged the release out until they had something strong.

Yeah the pricing is rediculous. The Hellfire Power Armor is 500 credits which works out roughly to 5 bucks ($7.99 buys you 750 credits for sake of comparison). The Automatron DLC is 10 bucks and gives you a couple new sets of armor, new weapons, new quests, new locations, new villains, a new follower and the ability to create your own robots. 1 set of power armor should cost me no more than a buck, especially when there are free mods that have it (and in high quality too). 

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

Seems like they released it too early due to wanting to make the summer date.

Has to be. They sell credits in bundles up to 5500, but 3000 will buy you everything currently on offer. (And it's not worth that, though I do sort of want the backpack now.)

19 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Has to be. They sell credits in bundles up to 5500, but 3000 will buy you everything currently on offer. (And it's not worth that, though I do sort of want the backpack now.)

There are all kinds of really good mods for upping carry weight. 

Finally getting around to actually getting the Minutemen ending. I like how, after all the cases of raiders and such spawning behind your carefully-placed settlement defences, the Institute - who actually have teleportation technology - choose to storm the gates of The Castle.

• 1 month later...

I downloaded a quest mod called America Rising: A Tale of The Enclave that I would highly suggest to anyone who plays with mods. It's about a 2 hour mod that adds the Enclave to your game, and you're helping them get established in the Commonwealth. I've played through most of it now, and I enjoy it. It's a mod so the voice acting isn't exactly professional grade and there are definite areas of possible improvement but still worth checking out if you're bored with the vanilla game like I am. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started a new character a little while back, and when I got to the point where the settlers at Tenpines Bluff ask you to wipe out the raiders at Corvega Assembly Plant, they sent me to Walden Pond instead. Weird. Did Bethesda patch it so that it's now a random destination? Why would they tinker with something like that two years after release?

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I started a new character a little while back, and when I got to the point where the settlers at Tenpines Bluff ask you to wipe out the raiders at Corvega Assembly Plant, they sent me to Walden Pond instead. Weird. Did Bethesda patch it so that it's now a random destination? Why would they tinker with something like that two years after release?

I wish I had a Thoreau joke to make here.

• Haha 1