DVDVR Message Board

UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm (11/14/2015) - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Etihad Stadium)

Elsalvajeloco

Cole Konrad and Rocky Marciano, too.

But, yeah, generally everyone loses at some point. But there are exceptions to the rule, just like most things in life.

Never thought I would see Cole Konrad AND Rocky Marciano mentioned in the same sentence, but here we are.

• Like 1

I think boxing (especially after you start counting the WBO and IBF belts and the million versions of the WBA belt) is whole different kettle of fish.

What glf said isn't wrong at all, but MMA itself is a whole different animal. I think the only similarity in relation to boxing in this achievement type of a way is that you have the ridiculous talk of people wanting to retire 4 or 5 years into their career. You had it with Ronda in the lead up to this fight. It usually doesn't turn out that well. Didn't here.

You got a million different roadblocks as to why certain fights (that could been really historical) didn't happen in boxing whereas in MMA you got only a select few. Joe Calzaghe retired undefeated and still gets to be called perhaps the best super middleweight boxer ever when he probably fought maybe 3 or 4 good fighters in 40+ fights if that. He gets to have that billing even if people think someone like Andre Ward has better credentials.

In MMA, we're getting further away from saying that so and so is the best fighter ever in each weight class without certain context. So much of boxing's history is people repeating what people have been saying for several years with zero context. If someone started watching MMA 3 or 4 years ago, chances are they already got to see all the competitors we consider to have been the best (GSP, Anderson, and Fedor) or are currently the best (Jon Jones with Aldo and DJ trailing a distance behind). How many sports (mainstream or niche) is that possible for fans to be able to contextualize? If you say so and so is the best ______ MMA fighter of all time, you can't just point to a fight database. That argument has to be more concrete evidence than pure anecdotal evidence.

So WTF just happened here? Did Ronda try too hard to match Holm as a puncher? I don't know enough about this shit really, but it looks to me that Rousey had started to make her matches about more than her getting the victory and it cost her. I suggested 3 months ago that Correia basically did the right thing in goading her, and I feel vindicated.

Next time I think Rousey will collect the arm though.

So WTF just happened here? Did Ronda try to hard to match Holm as a puncher? I don't know enough about this shit really, but it looks to me that Rousey had started to make her matches about more than her getting the victory and it cost her. I suggested 3 months ago that Correia basically did the right thing in goading her, and I feel vindicated.

I think earlier posters nailed it when they said game plan. She just didn't come in with a game plan or threw it out the window once she got hit. The plan seemed to be to win but not a whole more to it than that. She got frustrated, chased after the same thing again and again and the outcome was pretty much decided by the end of the first.

Your corner congratulating you on a round when you're a 10:1 favourite and completely punch-drunk and spent doesn't help.

I was there today.

The reported attendance broke the stadium attendance record (previously held I believe by WWE Global Warning 2002) - I was at both events. There was nowhere near the amount of people there today as there was for Global Warning. We were discussing it between the two main events - general consensus was 40-45k.

I've never heard such a pop like that after the ref stopped it. Amazing.

Jędrzejczyk was the real star of today - came off like a total bad ass in and out of the ring - Dana announces at the start of the press conference that Rousey has gone to hospital for a concussion and split lip - cut to Jędrzejczyk looking like she'd been in a car wreck, and reveals she has a broken hand and still sitting there calmly taking questions. (L).

Vale Bigfoot also.

• Like 2

i dont think theyre claiming it broke the stadium attendance record. that would be obvious bullshit even if there was 56,000 there. the record is held by a Jehovahs Witness event that had 70,059, or if you dont want to count that, its a Robbie Williams concert from 2006 at 64,619. WWE had the record before Williams, iirc.

the AFL record is 54,444. obviously theres no seats on the ground for that so if the full seats on the ground at the UFC make up for the empty seats in the stands (namely the top section which was almost empty at the two ends) then 56,000 is plausible.

Obviously, I don't spend a lot of time in this forum. And I'm a very casual mma fan.

But Christ, I did not see this happening. Like Fedor, I guess. Absolutely unbeatable right up until the moment they got beat up and taken out.

• Like 1

So WTF just happened here? Did Ronda try too hard to match Holm as a puncher? I don't know enough about this shit really, but it looks to me that Rousey had started to make her matches about more than her getting the victory and it cost her. I suggested 3 months ago that Correia basically did the right thing in goading her, and I feel vindicated.

Just terrible gameplan. Rousey just tried to rush straight ahead at her obviously thinking she'd swarm her and at the very least get the clinch where she'd do damage from there or take her to the mat and finish it there. Holly used great footwork and really accurate counter-striking and just avoided her while landing at will. When it wasn't working for Ronda she got more frantic and sloppy and looked like she gassed herself out running around in the first round and probably from panicking from things not working for her.

The other issue that I noticed was Holly's strength. Even with a good gameplan and Ronda getting clinched up with her like she wants, it's going to be tough to get her to the mat.

What Holly reminded me of in this fight was Machida.

Sorry but I refuse to even compare beating up an ex-accountant with 3 total years of training and 9 pro fights in any format to getting into the octagon with Holly Holm, call me crazy.

You can only beat whose put in front of you but in terms of these two fights it's weird to me that there are people that think these opponents were even close to being on the same level. Too many people listening to UFC's WCW This Is The Biggest Night In The History Of Our Sport © hype.

Obviously, I don't spend a lot of time in this forum. And I'm a very casual mma fan.

But Christ, I did not see this happening. Like Fedor, I guess. Absolutely unbeatable right up until the moment they got beat up and taken out.

Difference is anybody who's been watching Ronda fight knows that she's far from polished and has big holes in her stand-up. She's always been pretty clumsy in her footwork and striking, though from watching her public workouts/fights the past year, they're both improving. But she's only been effective when fighting inside. Holm's camp knew that, Holm has incredible footwork, and great technical ability. Between Holm executing the right strategy and Ronda playing to her opponent's plan/strengths and her own weaknesses, it was a trouncing.

Fedor and the other GOAT candidates were all-around great fighters, had far superior opponents, and generally played to their strengths. Ronda was able to dominate because of her aggression, world class Judo and armbar game, and eventually even her punching power. Her opponents either were dogshit relatively speaking or didn't have the right tools/plan to expose her. I didn't give Holm much of a chance because she's looked absolutely terrified in her two UFC fights and fought very tentatively. I thought Ronda's aggression would lead to another quick submission but Holm fought the perfect fight and shut me up. Women's MMA is still in its infancy and that's why you can see a fighter with obvious holes dominate for a lengthy period of time. I don't think it's fair to compare Ronda getting completely outclassed to Fedor's eventual decline. That's not to say Fedor or Anderson Silva didn't fight some chumps when they were on top but women's MMA is very thin in talent for the time being.

Tangent: other than the gameplan we've talked about to death and her confidence, I was most impressed with Holm's ability to stop takedowns/disengage the clinch/muscle her way out of the armbar.

• Like 1

Cole Konrad and Rocky Marciano, too.

But, yeah, generally everyone loses at some point. But there are exceptions to the rule, just like most things in life.

Rocky Marciano lost some amateur fights, right?

I have to be the one to say it. Someone always does.