DVDVR Message Board

UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm (11/14/2015) - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Etihad Stadium)

Elsalvajeloco

If she's got any sense, she'll fire Edmund, move to Poland and train striking with Joanna's team. But I think there's a bit too much Diaz brother mentality in her for that. She'd rather blame losses on her own mistakes than admit someone was just better on the night... although she did do the complete opposite of fight a smart fight.

If you're being over aggressive and being outclassed by a better striker who is lethal angling out off the back foot, the one thing you should never do is keep lunging at them. If she'd started backing off and making Holm come to her more, well, it's a lot easier to clinch up with someone moving in than someone moving out. If only she'd had an intelligent fight analyst in her corner to tell her what adjustments to make. Or even to make adjustments, rather than tell her she was doing well and stick with it.

She did seem wierdly out of shape in the fight as well. Much less defined musculature than usual (or at the weigh in), and visibly blowing up early. Did all those sub-minute fights convince her that she didn't need cardio? Or was she injured and unable to train, or something? I know a lot of it must have been taking punishment, but Holm seemed to land less to the body than usual, and her body shots hadn't been as effective in previous fights.

If they do Holm vs Tate next, and then the winner gets Rousey, that's probably better business. Even if Tate beats Holm (styles make fights), Rousey vs Holm 2 is still on the table, either as a contender's battle (babyface being forced to earn a title shot she should have been freely given = money) or as Rousey's first defence when she beats Tate again (styles still make fights).

I think the story of this match was what happens when one fighter has a gameplan and the other doesn't.  The story of every other Rousey fight was her opponent trying to match her aggression and getting steamrolled.  Holm's coaches basically did the exact opposite.  They had her back all the way up, and stay as far away as possible, and used Rousey's aggression against her.  Rousey had no idea what to do.  Her footwork was terrible, she had no idea how to cut the cage off when Holm was moving away.  Her head movement was non existent and Holm was able to locate her chin every time she moved into range.  When Rousey went back to her corner, her coaches told her she was doing great and Hom had "nothing, but that left hand."  That left hand was battering her like a piece of fried chicken, and they didn't think it was a big deal.  There was some discussion in the 30 for 30 thread about whether or not Tyson could have ever beat Holyfield.  Tyson's fighting style was similar to Rousey in the sense that both needed to find a way to fight in the proverbial phone booth.  Tyson, especially young Tyson, had incredible head movement and footwork that allowed him to get inside without taking too much punishment.  Rousey's head movement and footwork was so terrible, that I have no idea how she improves enough in time to win a rematch.  She won't ever beat Holm if she just walks straight in with a stationary chin like she did the other night.  Holm doesn't have to be Floyd Mayweather(I don't think we'll be talking about that any more) defensively, she just has to move away and let Rousey walk right into her left hand.  That was a masterful fight from Holm and her trainers, and a huge debacle for Ronda Rousey and her trainers. 

• Like 1

So, BIGGEST UPSET EVAR~! or did we all go amnesiac and forget such shocking moments like Serra's 1st round TKO of GSP or TJ Dillishaw handing Renan Barao his ass?

I haven't forgotten those.

Big MMA upsets:

Couture vs. Sylvia

Serra vs. GSP

Werdum vs. Fedor

Weidman vs. Silva with Silva's antics truly catching up to him as Weidman bounced his head like a fucking basketball

Dillashaw vs. Barao

Rousey vs. Holm

The topper for me is still Serra vs. GSP.

• Like 1

Well, despite having a lot of fun trolling the mouth-breathers at Sherdog, I figured I'd come by here where there's folks what that know a thing or two about fighting. Holly Holm is the worst possible opponent for Rousey. In case anyone has forgotten, she's worked on her wrestling with no less than Bones Jones. Rousey has never faced an elite striker of Holly's level, the Holly of even two or three years ago is long gone, replaced by an offensive buzzsaw. 

That said, when you're facing a Muay Thai fighter or a boxer, the stupidest thing that you can do is line up straight across from them, that's their kill zone. Rousey's camp gave her a stupid game plan, but it's on her for listening to bullshit and disregarding the obvious threat in front of her. 

However, no one goes undefeated unless they do so by dodging top competition (Yeah, Money, I'm looking at you, punkass.) Truly great fighters keep adding to their skills, will Rousey do so, or will roles in Fast & Furious and such derail her? I'm thinking she comes back with a new camp and a new respect for striking. ;-)

• Like 1

Helps Holly Holm's comes from a great camp:  Bones, Condit, Cerrone and coaches in Greg Jackson/Mike Winkeljohn. 

New Mexico represent, muthafukas!!! ;-)

• Like 1

So, BIGGEST UPSET EVAR~! or did we all go amnesiac and forget such shocking moments like Serra's 1st round TKO of GSP or TJ Dillishaw handing Renan Barao his ass?

Serra GSP is #1 until some other journeyman fighter beats the best fighter on the planet by 1st round knockout.  He won his titleshot on a reality show.  In the rematch GSP beat his ass like he stole something...because he stole something.  If they fought 1,000 times, I don't see Serra winning twice.  He took full advantage of the only opportunity he'd ever have to be a champion, and beat someone who was clearly better than him in every way.  Holm beat the hell out of someone who she is clearly a better boxer than, this isn't the same.

nqW8GpV.jpg

2E7583E600000578-3319107-image-a-44_1447

In a weird way, this was the best thing that could have happened, assuming Rousey wants a rematch. The Tyson-Douglas rematch would have been a mint had it happened but never did for political reasons and happenstance.

You're telling me Holm-Rousey 2 won't draw?

I think the point more has to do with how much it will draw after that one fight. Part of the allure to Rousey at least in a main-stream context was a) would this be the one to do it or b) how will she finish off her off.

There's more money for UFC in Rousey staying undefeated, that getting at least 3-4 more fights/wins, someone finally knocking her off her throne, and the rematch.

If UFC wanted to do Mayweather/Pac-Man money, I would stack UFC 200 with all 3 of the top fights you have (Aldo/Mcgregor, Jones/Cormier II, and Holm/Rousey II). It won't happen and for obvious reasons, but if this was timed a little bit better, Dana could be doing Scrooge McDuck kind of money.

It still could happen if Rhonda can win a rematch here in the short-term and set up the inevitable Cyborg fight.

If UFC wanted to do Mayweather/Pac-Man money, I would stack UFC 200 with all 3 of the top fights you have (Aldo/Mcgregor, Jones/Cormier II, and Holm/Rousey II). It won't happen and for obvious reasons, but if this was timed a little bit better, Dana could be doing Scrooge McDuck kind of money.

It still could happen if Rhonda can win a rematch here in the short-term and set up the inevitable Cyborg fight.

Cormier vs. Jones II is happening in either April or May. I think a lot of this comes down with what happens with that preliminary injunction in NY State. If they can get it in MSG, then they will do it there obviously. If not, then perhaps that April PPV will be moved somewhere else and be headlined by a different fight. There is still some stuff that needs to be determined. I just saw a few minutes ago that NY was given an extension to respond to the UFC's injunction.

Most of what will probably be booked for UFC 200 is going to be determined what happens over the next stretch of shows until about March. Another thing you have to factor in is the possibility of a GSP return. He may stay retired after this six week camp or he may not. If he only wants to do superfights, then they probably would want him on that show. If they can finally get to do GSP vs. Anderson, then that would be the destination.

Beside that and Holm-Rousey II, the only thing that may be already slotted is a possible debut for CM Punk. That's what Duke Roufus wants.

Mayweather obviously spoke to his publicist before chiming in on RR's loss.

"I don't have anything against MMA fighters. It's just like boxing; you win some, you lose some. A true champion can take a loss and bounce back.

I don't think it's cool how everyone is trolling her on social media. Certain things you have to learn.

People will love you on Friday and then Sunday morning, it's nothing but negative comments and people making jokes and people making fun about you, which I don't think is cool.

I'm pretty sure she's a very, very strong person, but we still have to take into consideration that she has feelings. Everything happens for a reason. This was already written.  Listen, if God says, 'In Floyd's career, I don't want him to lose', you know what? I wasn't going to lose. That doesn't mean that I haven't took a loss before.  I'm not talking about boxing; I'm just talking about life. When you lose a loved one, that's taking a loss. I think that everything is just a learning experience.

In due time, she'll be able to bounce back and make some noise again in mixed martial arts."

Keep it classy, Money.

That's the nicest thing Mayweather has ever said about someone he was 'feuding' with, I mean it wasn't perfect but still. He took the oddly high road on that one.

If it ends this stupid Mayweather/Rousey thing, I'm cool with it.

• Like 1