DVDVR Message Board

UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm (11/14/2015) - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (Etihad Stadium)

Elsalvajeloco

Mayweather probably decided he can't run his mouth and his feet at the same time, and Gennady Golovkin is still out there.

I actually think that now that he's retired he doesn't feel he has to put on the heel persona any longer. As you know, I don't think much of the way he established his record (basically dodging top competition until he sensed a potential challenger had lost a step or two), but he's probably not the complete asshole he's always behaved as when active.

Mayweather probably decided he can't run his mouth and his feet at the same time, and Gennady Golovkin is still out there.

I actually think that now that he's retired he doesn't feel he has to put on the heel persona any longer.

or, you know, he kinda realizes that whole beef thing was insanely retarded.

I think you're buying way too much into this persona thing. Once he realized he could make a boatload of money off of amplifying his own personality, that is what he did. Sometimes, it's less amplified than you usually see. He says certain stuff because he knows people will buy into it, whether it is people sheepishly agreeing with him (ex. TBE, TMT, and all this other hashtag related stuff) or people wanting to see him get his head beat in. But that's the thing. If the media picks up on this, then it gains a ton of momentum. Adrien Broner, a clone and ripoff of FMJ, does this shit all the time and often in more outlandish fashion. No one still gives a shit.

The media could have downplayed this stuff and not picked it up, but that's journalism for you. It's decided by page views. A story about Keith Thurman in boxing or a Tony Ferguson in MMA is not going to get the same views as Rousey saying stupid shit about Floyd or vice versa. In addition, add in this whole asinine notion about men fighting women. Those stories don't draw the same level of reaction.

Why are people discussing this? Christ, this ain't fucking 1973. Men aren't fighting women in boxing, MMA, or whatever. However, people can't get over this. So if any outlet gets another quote or soundbite, people HAVE TO drop their two cents even if it is very nondescript or non-eventful like this. It just feeds into this whole machine.

The sooner people move past stuff like this, the better we will all be. However, since people are kinda gullible, more garbage will be thrown out for clicks. Who needs generic click bait spam sites when 75% of everything on legit news websites is click bait? I mean "Rousey Takes Another Shot at Mayweather" is about as potent as "You Won't Believe These Bikini Photos of Ronda Rousey". I knew this lady was a star, but it's getting downright creepy now especially with that super bizarre, make-your-skin-crawl tweet from Brazzers and some of these memes. I never expected someone from MMA to have that same appeal as Britney Spears does in that one episode of South Park. The past 72 or so hours, she has become this obsession for both derision and love that makes her seem like some deity. I don't think that is normal for someone who fights other grown people for a living.

People carrying on like either Holm is David killing Goliath or Ronda Rousey was exposed are both wrong.  Holly Holm is a really good fighter, who beat Ronda Rousey by using her superior boxing to the fullest extent possible.  Rousey couldn't box with her, and she lost.  Holm wasn't David, she was another giant who wasn't as famous, and didn't have a super cool name like Goliath.  Ronda wasn't exposed as a fraud either.  She is insanely good at what she does, Holm didn't allow her to do what she does.  I think this is an example of people's ignorance when it comes to MMA.  Everyone loses, because everyone has a weakness.  Chael Sonnen almost beat the best fighter of all time, because his wrestling was better.  Chael Sonnen has never beat anyone who was in their prime, but he came as close to beating Anderson Silva as anyone had ever come in the UFC.  Silva wasn't exposed, he fought someone who was really good in an area he was average.  That is the sport, sometimes you have to fight someone who is better than you at something, it doesn't mean you are a fraud. 

People carrying on like either Holm is David killing Goliath or Ronda Rousey was exposed are both wrong.  Holly Holm is a really good fighter, who beat Ronda Rousey by using her superior boxing to the fullest extent possible.  Rousey couldn't box with her, and she lost.  Holm wasn't David, she was another giant who wasn't as famous, and didn't have a super cool name like Goliath.  Ronda wasn't exposed as a fraud either.  She is insanely good at what she does, Holm didn't allow her to do what she does.  I think this is an example of people's ignorance when it comes to MMA.  Everyone loses, because everyone has a weakness.  Chael Sonnen almost beat the best fighter of all time, because his wrestling was better.  Chael Sonnen has never beat anyone who was in their prime, but he came as close to beating Anderson Silva as anyone had ever come in the UFC.  Silva wasn't exposed, he fought someone who was really good in an area he was average.  That is the sport, sometimes you have to fight someone who is better than you at something, it doesn't mean you are a fraud. 

Rousey is by no means a fraud when it comes to rational analysis of her skillset, but the pre-fight hype delivered by the UFC was extreme overkill with its anointment and deification of her as The Ravishing Chosen Once In A Lifetime Unstoppable Elite Athlete Who Could Beat ANY Fighter In Any Weight Class or Discipline.  Combine that with the ridiculous media blitz (all the talk show appearances, discussion of a Hollywood biopic, her announcement as starring in the Road House remake), which resulted in a bit of overexposure that was bound to annoy a fair share of people, we're now seeing a reaction against that.

Once In A Lifetime Unstoppable Elite Athlete Who Could Beat ANY Fighter In Any Weight Class or Discipline

It's not once in a lifetime. It's once ever in human history.

Also, Sonnen nearly beat Anderson Silva because Silva broke his rib in training camp and fought anyway. [Conor McGregor]Because he's not a quitter like that worthless yellow coward Jose Aldo[/Conor McGregor].

The hyperbolic nature of the UFC marketing hype machine is nothing I am going to argue. We're talking about a company that at one point had a new P4P top fighter every month for about fifteen months just to sell PPVs during a dry spell.

The pushback from that is expected. However, once you get past the weekend of the fight or Monday morning/early afternoon at the latest, you're pushing into weirdo mode.

Most of the pushback I am talking about is from people who clearly don't understand how combat sports works and the mechanics of getting people to view it. 

If the same people are paying to watch this show, that means they paid money to see to something they hate. It was the same way I discussed with Mayweather/Pacquiao. Sure, there are some people are who made aware after the fact with gifs, Vines, etc. However, the UFC isn't getting 900k to over a million buys out of the goddamn sky. So the belief that this one outcome puts the UFC (or Ronda Rousey for that matter) at some sort of disadvantage is ridiculous.

First off, as it's been discussed briefly here, Ronda is going to make money off the rematch than she could possibly make off facing contenders she already trounced. You get all these dunces (as indicated by TJ de Santis' casual fan barbershop story yesterday on the SRN) talking like she is going to lose endorsement deals and the such. Sure, she lost some luster but is she still Ronda Rousey? This wasn't a loser leaves town match. The NYT story, other than the Low Kick steroid sponsor story about Holm where they circled her crotch, is perhaps the dumbest thing I saw the last five days regarding UFC 193. That covers a lot of ground.

More importantly, this woman was discussing retirement not too long ago because she was beating everyone. Knowing that she is a super competitive person, would this not mean she is going to stick around longer? Even if she runs through everyone again, the UFC still would get one or two fights out of her that they otherwise would not get. This is not like Brock Lesnar when he had a debilitating condition and just couldn't do it anymore. This also isn't like Gina Carano where she knew she didn't have the skills to compete at a top level. They're going to hype her again and it's going to work just because people bit so easily into this. That's just the smart thing to do.

Rousey is by no means a fraud when it comes to rational analysis of her skillset, but the pre-fight hype delivered by the UFC was extreme overkill with its anointment and deification of her as The Ravishing Chosen Once In A Lifetime Unstoppable Elite Athlete Who Could Beat ANY Fighter In Any Weight Class or Discipline.  Combine that with the ridiculous media blitz (all the talk show appearances, discussion of a Hollywood biopic, her announcement as starring in the Road House remake), which resulted in a bit of overexposure that was bound to annoy a fair share of people, we're now seeing a reaction against that.

I changed majors in college, after starting late to begin with, so I was in entry level classes with freshman when I was about 25.  I was in a class about media criticism and about halfway through the lecture a girl raised her hand and asked, "So what you are saying is, that there is no truth in advertising?"  She asked it like she was surprised that people were lying to her, and the professor damn near shit himself.  He looked at this poor, impressionable, 18 year old like she had just asked him to drop his pants so she could see if he was circumsized.  He couldn't believe anyone could possibly be that naive.  If you believe anything a fight promotion says about their fighter, you are dumber than that poor girl, and you kind of deserve to be disappointed. 

By the way, Holly is making the rounds:

Friday in LA: Holm with @kevinandbean, @RichEisenShow, @TheHerd, @NFLonFOX, and more...

Then, Holm on Monday in NYC: @fox5ny, @RollingStone, @WSJ, @SInow, @nytimes, @HuffingtonPost, @sethmeyers, and more!

And then Tuesday of next week, @_HOLLYHOLM heads to Bristol for a day @espn! Cc: @DarrenDemeterio #UFC193

Awesome for her.

Strawman argument.  I don't think anyone is claiming that they were sold a false bill of goods on this forum, so your strained anecdote about an ignorant college student is well wide of the mark.  There's a certain level of self-aggrandizing promotion to be expected from an organization like the UFC, and then there are the Derek Smart-levels of delusional shameless hype beyond any reasonable justification that preceded this PPV.  Dana White's blatantly bitter reaction at the post fight press conference, especially after his earlier comments about Rousey being a bigger star than any other in the history of MMA, has contributed a lot to the current schadenfreude.

Strawman argument.  I don't think anyone is claiming that they were sold a false bill of goods on this forum, so your strained anecdote about an ignorant college student is well wide of the mark.  There's a certain level of self-aggrandizing promotion to be expected from an organization like the UFC, and then there are the Derek Smart-levels of delusional shameless hype beyond any reasonable justification that preceded this PPV.  Dana White's blatantly bitter reaction at the post fight press conference, especially after his earlier comments about Rousey being a bigger star than any other in the history of MMA, has contributed a lot to the current schadenfreude.

I'm not seeing the backlash on Dana as much as the personal hatred for Ronda. We see the same thing about Dana we see everytime a perceived darling loses. 

As someone who moderates a MMA forum and been to several others, that seems like a common occurence. In the same vain, I am not seeing that from people who are well read on the sport of MMA. The people in this thread aren't the ones posting vitriolic and disparaging stuff about Ronda Rousey. The gifs and pictures have petered out in this thread. 

However, the stuff I am seeing makes me believe that people are only legitimately paying for (or casually looking in) for Ronda Rousey. So in that regard, does it make sense to pay for something (especially when you could put that money towards a water or actual cable bill) you know is unbelieveable over-the-top just so you can ridicule it? I mean in the end, it is your money and you do what you want. However, why pay to get trolled by a combat sports promotion when you're going to do it again later on? These same people are going to watch Rousey-Cyborg or Holm-Rousey II like she just didn't get kicked in the head. MMA isn't the sport that's going to draw from this vast pool of different and unique people. The women and little girls in addition to males outside the typical UFC demo who wouldn't watch MMA only started to watch because of Ronda Rousey.

Are these same people going to be committing Japanese ritual suicide when she wins again and Dana is smirking like an idiot behind her? No. The sport is going to go on well beyond UFC 193 the same as it went on when Cain smashed Brock and when GSP got stopped by Serra.

It is Dana White's job to make people feel like they are watching a once in a lifetime event.  He is trying to get as many people as possible buy his product.  His job description should be delusional, shameless, hype beyond any reasonable justification monger.  It is what he does.  He was bitter, because he spent years telling people that Ronda Rousey is the best thing on two legs, now he has to figure out someone else to conduct his hype train.  He's essentially Tony Shiavone calling every Nitro the biggest night in the history of the business.  If you belive him, you are the sucker.  You can complain that Dana White is a blowhard, but you should also know that the only reason his position exists is to be a blowhard.  It is like being mad at a linebacker, because you don't think it's OK to tackle people.

• Like 2

Oh, news cycles.  Never stop being sensationalistic and rolling out the headlines that would make Upworthy envious. 

Several news sites are making it look like Ronda is getting suspended from the UFC when in actuality is it just the usual schedule of fighters being placed on mandatory medical leave.

I saw that too in regards to the suspension.  Standard medical suspensions that change once you go see a doctor.

Basically, there are a lot of stupid people out there.  The most aggravating are the ones who act like they "knew all along" that Ronda wasn't good and act like she was some sort of coddled champion and Holm is some far superior fighter. 

Also I think people couldn't be more wrong about Dana White.  He's not mad that Ronda lost.  He's probably pretty fucking happy about it.  The best thing that you can hope for in his position is to have a really dominant champion basically clean out the division and then someone to come along and beat them and ultimately create a legit rivalry that you can make even more money on. 

You have to form your own opinions on fighters based on what you see.  Personally I think Ronda is an awesome fighter who suffered from probably not the greatest preparation for the fight, her ego, and a ridiculous gameplan against a fighter who was coming from a point of great preparation and successful execution of a perfect gameplan.  I think losing will probably focus her even more and if she adjusts her training and gameplan for the rematch I'd wager that she'll probably win in the manner that she's won fights in the past.  Just my personal opinion. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

BBC teletext reported the result of Holm vs. Rousey, Rousey's Twitter status after the fight and today Ronda's interview about how long she might be out for. The only other time I've seen a UFC report by them was when McGregor beat Mendes for the Interim UFC Featherweight Championship. While here, I'd like to repost this: