DVDVR Message Board

A PWG THREAD

RIPPA

Props to PWG for not fucking around when it comes to mailing out online orders.  I've ordered DVDs from 3 times, and they've always arrived within 3 business days.  I ordered Only Kings Understand Each Other and Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock 'n Roll) late last Thursday night, and they arrived today.  

Also, Chosen Bros vs Unbreakable Fucking Machines was dope.

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered my copy last night.  "Spot monkey flippy shit" is probably 4th or 5th on the depth chart of my favorite styles of wrestling, but PWG is doing a great job of signing matches I would gladly pay the 20 bucks for a DVD to see, even considering their misplaced fondness of Marty Scurll.  Last night, they announced War Machine vs Cage/Elgin, Chuck Taylor/Trent? vs Cobb/Riddle, and Lio Rush vs Keith Lee for the June show.  I mean, come on... I'm cynical, but not so cynical that those matches don't sound like an absolute blast.

• Like 1

Finished it tonight and they're close. Enjoyed both of them a lot and it seems like they're starting to cycle in some different guys now too.

Only Kings: I thought Trevor Lee vs Cody was great. I loved the Trent/Fenix match with Trent not wanting to do any of that lucha shit. Riddle/Cobb vs Elgin/Cage was a hell of a heavyweight tag. The Young Bucks match was pretty damn good. And I thought ZSJ/Chuck told a great story for a PWG match.

Nice Boys: The three way to open it was fucking nuts and the main event was just as nuts in a different way. I dug the Best Friends vs Marty & Zack match too and commend guys whenever they actually try work more of a normal match in PWG and get the crowd to go along with them.

• Like 1

The Best Friends/Leaders tag was awesome but still there was an air of weirdness about it. The crowd adores the Best Friends but there were moments when there were hot tags to decent pops but not the over-the-top roar we sometimes get from the Reseda crowd that I was expecting. I don't know if it was the work in the match/the story that was told or that Chuck, despite his Goldbergian streak in the build-up to the title challenge, still isn't seen as a really credible threat, but I feel like the crowd didn't quite buy in 100%, which took it down a notch and really disappointed me. Chuck is one of my favourite indie acts going and Trent is such a lovable goof that I think trails only Sami Zayn and Kairi Hojo in terms of selling (his is a bit more reliant on taking crazy bumps but he sells long term and gets the crowd to empathize with him well). I hope the Chuck/Marty street fight is as good as I'm hoping it is. Seriously, I love the Best Friends. Their Highspots series is such a great way to kill time if you're wanting to multitask with audio going on in the background. 

Really digging the Chosen Bros slow ascent up the rankings. The story of the Oi4K/Bros match was pretty fucking great and something they've been doing as a tandem so far. Brother team has maximum fluidity and understanding, whereas Cobb and Riddle are freak athletes and so much more individually more powerful than either of the Crist brothers. My one complaint with Cobb right now is that he sells too much for smaller guys. Keith Lee's selling is pretty well perfect for a big man and more of what I'd like to see from Cobb. Even as Matanza, it's still an issue but less so.

Yeah, the Cody/Lee match was probably Cody's best showing on the indies I've seen, followed by the bull rope match in Orlando against Lethal. I really thought Dragon was going to have Lee go over in last year's BOLA and I still think it was a bit of a mistake going with Scurll who didn't really need it. Lee is so much fun in PWG down to his in-ring work, character, and the fact the crowd buys into his piece of shit behaviour. 

Dezmond Xavier/Shane Strickland was pretty painful to watch but I generally enjoy Strickland and with Xaiver you can certainly see the promise. Still, it felt like a badly plotted out, over choreographed contest rather than an athletic competition, which I know is not really out of the norm for PWG but this was egregious. And when the bar is set so high for these types of ostentatious exhibitions, you best be clean with pretty much everything and try to raise the bar. They did neither and it hurt. The last handful of singles matches I've seen from Shane outside of LU have been interesting. He's trying to do flashy shit but at a slower pace, which is nice. However, the crowds have been pretty dead for all of them. Maybe the wrong match type for his audiences and what people expect but also probably he still needs to figure out ways to better engage the audience during the slower build. 

Keith Lee is a stud and we know this, but that opener was such a fucking gong show in the best possible way. Cage is the fucking man and Sami is perpetually in motion. I loved that one so much, probably more than anything on the previous show. 

I still wish PWG matches were generally cut by like 2 minutes on average. There's always that time where they have the crowd peak, then they kickout of a killer move, and there's this groan and the pops become quieter and quieter. I kind of liked how the ZSJ/Chuck match ended almost seemingly prematurely because I'd rather have a match end early than go on too long and kill off what came before. 

9 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I hope the Chuck/Marty street fight is as good as I'm hoping it is. 

It's okay.  I'm sure you've seen a ton of street fight/hardcore matches that are a lot better.  I know I have.  Taylor's pretty good in it, taking a good beating and bumping his ass off.  Scurll doesn't do much.  The one bump he takes gets topped by Taylor a minute later when he takes a more painful-looking version of the same bump.  

On the bright side, Scurll seems more committed to being a heel in PWG than anywhere else, so he keeps his obnoxious shtick to a minimum.

Watching Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock and Roll)...a match just ended in a falcon arrow and Excalibur and Chuck Taylor lost their shit.  

Also fans chanting "Ed Sheeran" at Jake Crist.

Line of the night so far was Chuck Taylor talking about how he was watching WCW once and Tony Schiavone called Harlem Heat one of the best "brother tag teams" of all time.  Taylor forgot they were siblings and thought Tony was saying they were a great black team.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Fenix/Lio Rush may be the worst match of the year and I generally really like Fenix. A billion spots that meant nothing and it absolutely killed the crowd for the rest of the show. I am usually very lenient with PWG and the indy spotfest style but this was just absurdly egregious. Garbage.

They have started announcing the BOLA field. Not sure if they are doing the full field today or not but so far

Flamita

Keith Lee

WALTER

Travis Banks

And there is already controversy as Travis Banks was booked to work King of Trios in the U.K. the same weekend

Or as PWG would describe it - standard operating procedure 

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Travis Banks was asked to work BOLA, decided to pull out of KoT 2+ months ahead of time. Nobody forced him to do anything, he made his own career decision. This is controversial?

UK folks are upset that

A) BOLA is "only booking their biggest show of the year 10 weeks out"

B) That guys pull out of original bookings for "better ones"

So for them - yes it is controversial. (Specifically UK folks because they feel like they are the ones always getting screwed) Not saying I agree or disagree but this is what my timeline was filled with this morning

Not so hot on Xavier being in this yet, but a big hell yeah to Dijak, Lee, and Walter. Alvarez was partially right in saying that the era of the big men is returning. I think there can be a better balance between hosses and flippy li'l dudes. Plus, a lot of the hosses do flips now anyway.

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

UK folks are upset that

A) BOLA is "only booking their biggest show of the year 10 weeks out"

(rolls eyes while making wanking motion)...it's indy wrestling AND it's on the west coast, you book who you can when you can.  10 weeks feels like pretty good notice to me.  It's not PWG's fault some UK indy guys would rather work there than in Statford on Devonshire Pip Pip Cheerio Pro Wrestling or wherever.

• Like 2