DVDVR Message Board

Let's Play The Shuffle Game.

CrazyMax46

This is a game I like to do on message boards I go on from time to time.

Rules:

Go to your music collection, ITunes, Spotify, Rdio(?), whatever.

Go to all your songs and hit shuffle. For fun make sure nothing in your library doesn't have a chance of getting played.

Post the first 5-10 songs that play. No skipping. Don't be ashamed of hitting a Nicki Minaj song. You have that song for a reason. It was for a project. What that project was you don't remember. Probably a project about Nicki Minaj.

Post the songs and wonder what you did wrong in your life. Wonder when you stopped being a cool kid and became that guy that says "no really, Drake is a solid rapper." It's okay. We don't judge here. Or feel superior with your awesome music choices.

Then post why you have that song, or why you like it, or some interesting story you have about it. I guess the point is being able to talk about the kind of music we all have and maybe take a deeper look into our collections. This is a folder dedicated to talking about music after all. It's a social experiment. In a public setting of course. What better place to admit you just hit 10 Sarah McLachlan songs in a row.

I guess I'll start. Note. I may legit hit 10 Sarah McLachlan songs in a row.

1. Twin Shadow "I'm Ready"

I can't quite pinpoint why I like this song. It for sure sounds like pretty much every synth song with a piano randomly thrown in. The vocals I guess are what bring it home for me. If you know the words, sing along and all that.

2. Candy Taylor "Sweet Sixteen Girl"

SUUUUUUUPER DRRRRRRRRRIFTO. This actually may be my favorite track on the Initial D sound track. All 20 of them. Eurobeat is so corny.

3. Young The Giant "Mind Over Matter"

I lived in California for 25 years. In the Bay Area there's a station called KFOG and they were the first station out there to play Young The Giant. In fact they may have been the first on the west coast. Anyways. Their catalogue is very hit or miss. But this song is a complete hit for me.

4. The Offspring "All I Want"

I didn't really start listening to music until 1995. I was 10. This was the first Offspring song I ever heard. It was very in your face and unlike anything I had ever heard before. When I was younger I wound up getting into Bad Religion. The irony is that this song started as a song written for a competition between bands on the warped tour to write a Bad Religion song. The winner would get to play their song to Bad Religion. They weren't interested. And so The Offspring got themselves a hit.

5. Big Data "Perfect Holiday"

I fucking love 2.0 between that and Earl Sweatshirt those are probably #1 and #2 for album of the year for me. The message is timely. And the music is head bobingly catchy. This is the last track on the album and captures all the messages in the album perfectly.

6. Freeland "We Want Your Soul"

I think I found Freeland through the game Rez. This song is the closest thing he has to a hit. It's almost cliche now. But 2004 was a different time. To 19 year old me this was mind blowing.

7. Blanck Mass "Detritus"

This was an Album Club selection. I think I didn't like it as a whole? I didn't get it? But I also like The Knife so my taste is pretty weird? This album wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. It just want for me. I mean hey, it's better than anything NIN has done in a while. I don go out of my way to listen to it, but if it comes on shuffle I'm not upset. The only thing this album thought me is that every choice in the album club has terrible artwork.

8. Dredg "Stamp Of Origin: Take A Look Around"

This album is Dredg at its Dredgst.

9. The Gaslight Anthem "Great Expectations"

This band is a popular band amongst Bruce Springsteen fans. Yet I listen to them and am NOT a Springsteen fan. I don't think that says a lot about me. I also don't think it says a lot about Bruce Springsteen. I'm a hypocrite I guess?

10. Pink Floyd "Time"

I mean... I like Pink Floyd. This album is probably the greatest album of all time. What more can be said.

Well that was fun. And only slightly embarrassing.

This is a fantastic idea, but with my library who the hell knows what's gonna come out of this

1. Lil B - "Based Party"
THE BASED GOD. Okay maybe I have nothing to worry about. Lil B is a precious diamond. He's very silly and almost unreadable in intention, but I think he's just trying to be entertaining and he does that in the way he feels like, whether it's rapping dumb, doing conscious raps, making pop music, or speaking at universities or whatever. Modern Chuck Berry shit. This is from Obama Basedgod, my favorite mixtape of his.

2. Young Widows - "Swamped and Agitated"
In a world full of Jesus Lizard wannabes, Young Widows is pretty much #1 or #2 (competing with Pissed Jeans). It's a little unfortunate that through four albums I still don't have, like, a great handle on what their perspective is, but their bassist plays like a maniac so I will keep picking up Young Widows records. This is, also, why you shouldn't end your albums with ballads. If you end albums like this, you can return people to their lives feeling recharged and motivated and excited.

3. OOIOO - "O O I A H"
Side project from Yoshimi of the Boredoms. It's all sunlight and whimsy but not the American Consumerist version of whimsy that makes me punchy. It's just ecstatic, lively, in this case seriously funky music. One of their founders passed away earlier this year, and it's the saddest I've been about a musician passing in years. I guess I assumed people that joyous wouldn't get done like that.

4. Gogol Bordello - "Future Kings"
My first time seeing them was opening for Primus, and I've never had an opening band blow my mind like that since. I do feel sort of sad that I'm not board for their newer stuff (can't quite put my finger on it, either) but those first four albums are fucking fantastic. This track in particular is more sad and funereal than they usually get. A sound that is cousins with Man Man.

5. Tom Waits - "Poor Edward"
My first Tom Waits album is actually Blood Money, which I picked up because 1) he had just been on the last Primus album and that was interesting, and 2) I saw the music video for God's Away On Business and found it funny the first time and spellbinding the second. and then i bought a bunch of other tom waits albums, you know how this goes

6. Beck - "Runners Dial Zero"
what the hell, why do I still have this, i hate beck
one of my old high school friends is super into beck, and that's how I ended up trying Mutations and fuuuuuck
beck's best song was covered by jay reatard (Gamma Ray) and made a million times better instantly
RIP Jay Reatard

7. Converge - "Heartless"
Until Converge decided it was going to ruin all of metalcore for everyone with All We Love We Leave Behind, this was my favorite Converge record. I still enjoy this a good amount. Insert Kurt Ballou Production Praise Here. Also, I thought Last Light would have made a cool theme song for a wrestler. I remember trying to impress a Tower Records worker with my knowledge of Converge. I would vote for legislation to make Teenage Boys illegal.

8. Led Zeppelin - "In My Time of Dying"
Fantasy Zeppelin blows. Blues Zeppelin is outstanding. All Zeppelin is kind of overrated. Led Zeppelin was also my father's favorite band. His second favorite was Rage Against The Machine. He was a computer programmer and former psychoactive drug enthusiast that listened to Rush Limbaugh daily. I don't have an additional commentary for that, because I'm still trying to piece that one together.

9. Modest Mouse - "Dig Your Grave"
it's like 14 seconds so i'll just say I still like Good News For People Who Love Bad News

10. Deerhunter - "Saved By Old Times"
fuckin' Deerhunter man
If Indie Rock accomplished anything, it was putting all the pieces into place to let Deerhunter have a career and several records. They haven't put out a single record that isn't at the very least Very Good, with their peaks being astronomical to consider. I love Deerhunter so fucking much and I'm deeply grateful they keep making records even if after this last album it sure feels like they're prepping an ending.

Huh! I didn't get nearly as much noise/mutant shit as I was expecting.

I guess I'm gonna go delete that Beck album now.

This is how I listen to music anyway. Given the size of my playlist this could end very weirdly or quite boring. We'll see.

1) Annie Lennox - Hurting Time

I mean, why not? Annie Lennox is a great singer, and this is a pretty good Annie Lennox song. Strong test of softer music is that if the fruity keyboards don't annoy you it's probably pretty good.

2) Sun Ra - Atlantis

There's no real way to describe this if you don't already listen to Sun Ra. It's a giant magnum opus of weird free jazz played on an early electric keyboard (an instrument almost no one but Sun Ra can make sound like it's serious). Atlantis is one of the weirdest projects by one of the weirdest dudes. I enjoy this very much but if you're not already at least dipping your toes into jazz and Sun Ra's catalogue this is probably a bridge too far.

3) Beastie Boys - An Open Letter to NYC

So, not that long in the past the Toronto Raptors played the Brooklyn Nets in the NBA playoffs. I basically don't care about basketball until the playoffs, and being Canadian I'm supposed to cheer the Raptors. The Nets used this as their walk on music and I was like, "nope, sorry Raptors, I can't root against that in my true heart".

4) Gary Allen - Nickjack Cave

Modern radio country that is actually just classic rock with funny hats and southern accents. This is not a terrible song, this is not a great song. It's just a song. I'm neither offended nor stirred.

5) Opeth - Beneath the Mire

I'm in the minority that Ghost Reveries is Opeth's best record. They have nine legitimately good albums to choose from so it's really not worth fighting over. This is probably like the 5th best song on that album, which is to say it's only better than like 99% of stuff.

6) Danger Mouse/Jay-Z - Dirt Off Your Shoulder

The Grey Album is cool. It's not flawless, but it's cool. The original version of this song is better, but still, it's a cool concept album. Jay-Z is the mainstream rapper I actually like.

7) Star Wars Imperial March

Dun Dun Dun Dun, Dun Dun Dun, Dun Dun Dun.

8) Hank Williams - Your Cheatin' Heart

It's pure. That's all you can ask any musician to achieve.

9) B.B. King - Sweet Sixteen

I'm kind of lukewarm on BB King but I have a best of BB album somewhere in my actual CD collection. This is, obviously, a stone cold classic.

10) Deafheaven - Please Remember

I'm not honestly that big on Deafheaven other than Vertigo. They're a mish mash of things that, to the surprise of a lot of people, misses the mark for me.

Eh, it could be better, it could be worse.

• Like 2

1. Eminem - Twisted.  This is basically a ballad and Eminem doesn't even rap on it.  Yelawolf kills it though, so I can't even be mad at it.  I don't think I've ever heard this before, it is on a mix I downloaded with the best rap songs of 2014.  It was ranked 193 out of 200.
  2. Young Buck - Finish What You Start.  Another song I've never heard from a best of mix, this one from Quarter 1 of 2010.  I always thought Young Buck was the best all around rapper in G-Unit, but in a jack of all trades master of none type of way.  He's good here, but I'm not adding this to any playlists.
  3. Don Cannon and Young Dro - Start Trapping for Life.  Three in a row that I don't think I've heard before, but this is from the Young Dro R.I.P. mixtape. Dro can rap his ass off, the problem is that he raps his ass off with a pound of marbles in his mouth.  If you want to hear a super charismatic rapper get busy on a track listen to this, if you expect to understand everything he says, listen to something else.
  4. Mampi Swift - Trippin (Dillinja).  I promise I've listened to most of the music I have in my iTunes, but I don't even know why this song is here.  I don't really like electronic music, and I can't even find where this song came from.  It isn't on an album, it is just this one long ass song from someone I've never heard of.
  5. Redman - Welcome (Interlude)  This is an interlude from my favorite Redman album, "Muddy Waters."  This is the kind of thing that Redman is great at, it isn't anything but him rapping.  He doesn't necessarily have anything poignant to say, but he's entertaining and clever.
  6. Teddy Pendergrass - And If I Had.  This song was sampled on Mobb Deep's Cradle to the Grave and D'Angelo's Devil's Pie.  It is basically one of those, I wish I had a woman songs.  It isn't bad, but not really something I'll ever listen again.
  7. Beyonce - Crazy in Love.  Say what you want, but this is a pretty good song. If you were to combine all of these songs, I've heard them about 5619165189156065655 times 5619165189156065600 of them are this song.
  8. I Just Wanna Live, by somebody.  I know it sampled a song called Valentine by an artist named Justice.  I know nothing else about this song.
  9. The Roots - Right On.  This is an OK song, but apparently it was one of the best 120 songs of 2010.
  10. Meth, Ghost and Rae - The General.  Remember when Method Man, Ghostface Killah, and Raekwon dropped a completely forgettable album a few years back?  Well, DJ Mathmatics dropped a mixtape called Avenging Eagles with a shitload of verses from the three of them to hype it up a couple months before it came out. 

I have 12581 songs on my iTunes, I could do this once a day for the next 10 years and wouldn't scratch the surface of everything I have.  I'm surprised this was so hip-hop focused, because I have all types of shit on here.  Maybe I'll do another one in a couple days.

I think I have over 25,000 tracks in my Google play. Let's take a spin.

1 Thin Lizzy -Emerald. I don't remember when I got this, but no shame.

2. Ozzy - Miracle Man. One of my favorite Ozzy solo tracks

3. Les Miserables soundtrack - The Confrontation. Valjean, at last, we see each other plain... One of the best musicals ever.

4. Metallica - Bleeding Me - I probably like Load more than you do.

5. The Strokes - Soma. Oh man, I went on a HUGE Strokes kick a few years ago.

6. Black Sabbath - Back Street Kids. Not their best track, but of course I have every Sabbath song.

7. Ice Cube - Why We Thugs Smoke Some Weed. It's Ice Cube. Maybe the GOAT MC.

8. The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever. My favorite band. Not an original idea, sure, but they're still better than everyone else ever.

9. Megadeth - Truth Be Told. Eh, being a fan of Mustaine used to be a lot easier.

10 Hellchild - Insurrection Of The Living Dammed. METAL

I would do this, but right now I am rebuilding my music file and all we have at present are Warren Zevon, The Cramps, Chickasaw MuddPuppies, Hank III, and Joan Jett. Not that there's anything wrong with this selection, but it is a bit limited. Give me a couple of weeks after I'm not on deadline and I can spend a few hours loading stuff up.

1) Tan Dun & Yo-Yo Ma - A Love Before Time (Mandarin)

This is off the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon soundtrack, a movie I was super into at the time. The soundtrack was really good, although this song, kind of a pop ballad overlay of Ma's theme, isn't my favorite from it.

2) Flobots - The Rhythm Method

Eh. I liked Handlebars. I bought the album. A couple of rappers backed up by a band including strings and a trumpet is an interesting concept, albeit not one I felt compelled to continue following. I think the problem is that, unique combo aside, they're not that GOOD at anything. The two rappers aren't particularly good, the musicians aren't breaking any ground with their work, it's all just kinda there.

3) Meat Beat Manifesto - Prime Audio Soup

This was from the soundtrack of The Matrix. I'm really not super-familiar with MBM. The song is what I would have described at the time as techno with an industrial edge. Now I'm mostly just bored by it. This is continuing the trend of picking some of my least favorite songs from these albums.

4) Pearl Jam - Deep

I swear, this is iTunes and not a 90s CD collection...I just put all my 90s CDs into iTunes. Like most Pearl Jam songs, I can lose myself in the music pretty well if I don't think too hard on the lyrics.

5) A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras

Do you like Tool? Here's the guy from Tool's other band. No, not the new one, his OTHER other band. Ok so I like MJK.

6) The White Stripes - Rag & Bone

If your opinion of the White Stripes is that they need more narrative talking in their songs, this is the one for you. There's a lot of memorable songs on this album. This isn't one of them.

7) Major Steven Small & The Black Watch - The Piper's Prayer

That's not a band name. That's a British Army Major and a unit of the army dedicated to massed pipes, which is apparently a thing. No wonder the empire disintegrated. Good piping, though. I'm pretty sure I bought this to torment my mother.

8) Adam WarRock and kHill - MAL

A nerdcore rap song from the Browncoats Mixtape. Yes, I have an album of Firefly-based fan-rap. Fly that nerd flag high!

9) John Williams - Grievous Speaks To Lord Sidious

From the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack. I'm not sure Williams' music has ever been better, even if the movies have been.

10) Flogging Molly - The Seven Deadly Sins

Here we go. Was looking for something to pick this up. Flogging Molly are a Celtic punk band out of LA.

1. Monster Magnet - Hallucination Bomb

So when my first song hits, it's one that I have given the "Thumbs Up" to on Pandora. So now I'm thinking maybe they'll start with a string of liked songs.

I was a bit late to the Monster Magnet bandwagon, after discovering them upon receiving a promo of Powertrip, but I've been a loyalist since then. It's pretty much what you'd expect from them, big beat and riffs.

I was wrong about the liked deal with the song selection, because for some inexplicable reason the next classic has not been liked by me.

2. Beastie Boys - So What'cha Want

These guys could do anything back then. I feel it's silly to explain why this song would be on anyone's list, since it's basically classic oldies territory.

3. Meatmen - Middle Aged Youth

Another band, guess that should be guy as in Tesco Vee since he's the only constant about Meatmen, that I've followed for too long. Meatmen were the first punk rock that pissed me off. I remember putting a nice sized scratch on one side of the We're the Meatmen and You Suck white vinyl back in 1985 or so. These days the best thing about the Meatmen is Tesco Vee's Instagram.

4. Kerli - Love Is Dead

Love the early Kerli stuff. My first recollection of her was from the video for this song. Haunting song for me.

5. Dj Encore - I See Right Through You (feat. Engelina)

Not familiar with this song or artist, so it must be from one of the stations I started for electronica/trance/whatever. Nice track, could listen to this some more. The lady's voice is nice.

6. Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper (Live from A Long Day's Night)

More classic rock. Been a while since I watched the concert this is from, but they sound great on this performance of a song most might be burned out on.

7. The Blasters - Red Rose (Live)

A dose of 70s SoCal punk rock. The Blasters are probably considered Americana or Heritage Rock these days, not sure since I don't follow genres like some. One of the first SoCal bands from that period that got me into the punk scene. A very energetic performance on this song from the album Trouble Bound.

8. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Little Scratch

I discovered Beefheart through his appearances on Letterman. The Zappa connection was just icing on the cake. I don't have the compilation this song is from, but the quality is top notch. This almost sounds like a "normal" song. Almost.

9. Sentenced - Shadegrown 

Not familiar with the band Sentenced. But they're Finnish and sound a bit like Lake Of Tears, so I'm very good with this song. MDM and gothic. 

10.a 12 Sessions & Technology - Vibes

Okay, so 45 seconds or so into this song Pandora glitches and stops this song and skips to Pagan Altar. The song that was playing sounded great, but Pandora had no info on the artist, so I googled and found out he's a Brazilian DJ. Will look into this artist.

10.b Pagan Altar - The Time Lord

One of my favorite tracks from PA. Uptempo and proggy. Just like I like my Doom.

I don't think 10 tracks is enough to analyze my listening habits with Pandora since I have too many stations created. 

I didn't close out Pandora before finishing this writeup. #11 was Black Flag - In My Head (Who's Got the 10 1/2?)

Using Pandora with all my stations loaded in on Shuffle EXCEPT Taylor Swift Radio and Disney Kids (those exist soley for the kids and I don't have them on my shuffle rotation)

1. Country Song - Seether.  Probably comes from my Modern Hard Rock station.

2. The Music or the Misery - Fall Out Boy.  I got a Fall Out Boy stations, sue me, I like them.

3. Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down - I'm stuck in the 90's for most of my music tastes.

4. Green River - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Gotta have classic rock, gotta have CCR.

5. Tearin' Up My Heart - *NSync - Fuck you, don't judge me.  Actually, I have a thing for the Spice Girls, so loading a station of them brings the 90's Boy Bands and Brittney/Christina.  Retrospectivly, all that stuff isn't bad.

6. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - The Beatles - Pandora is a fickle mistress.  

7. My Sacrafice - Creed - 2000's Rock radio strikes again.

8. Hysteria - Def Leppard - I love 80's ballads. 

9 . Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Guns n' Roses

10. Let's Stay Together - Al Green

I got to do another one, because this isn't even most of the stuff in my rotation.

• Like 1

1. U2 - "New Year's Day"

I despise everything U2 has done since the 80's, and Bono is really insufferable, but those first few albums are still gold.

2. My Bloody Valentine - "You've Got Nothing"

I slept on MBV for most of my life because I heard Loveless and hated it outside of "When You Sleep" (and still do), but I was guest hosting the 80's show at the radio station I was working at and was listening to some older stuff and fell in love with almost everything pre-Loveless.

3. The Microphones - "My Roots Are Strong And Deep"

This album deserves all the praise that In The Aeroplane Over The Sea gets.

4. The War On Drugs - "Show Me The Coast"

As someone who grew up on a mixture of pop radio and punk rock, it's really difficult for me to get into longer songs, but this one entrances me for 10 minutes somehow.

5. Title Fight - "Your Pain Is Mine Now"

Hyperview is one of my favorite albums this year. The way Title Fight's sound has evolved over the course of their albums really intrigues me.

6. Tina Turner - "Private Dancer"

I think it's odd that Tina hasn't seemed to get much of the nostalgic love that a lot of legends have as of late - the way she transitioned into this sound from Ike's soul sound 20 years after her career started deserves more attention.

7. Los Campesinos! - "Hate For The Island"

The cutesy name probably keeps some people away, but these guys have some of the smartest lyrics of any of the newer indie rock bands.

8. Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - "Bright Lit Blue Skies"

I can't stand Ariel Pink's gimmick, his attention seeking, or most of his other songs, but I can't help but love this particular one.

9. Neko Case - "The Next Time You Say Forever"

Neko is one of the only songwriters that can make me pay attention and care about indie-folk/Americana type stuff. She draws you in.

10. Jawbreaker - Ashtray Monument

Still one of the most criminally overlooked bands of the 90's.

1. Little Richard - Ooh! My Soul

Goddamn Lil Richard could rock, he was always just non-stop energy.  And he did that "Woooooooooooo" arguably better than Ric Flair

2. Notorious BIG - Somebody's Got To Die

Still gotta be the best story teller ever in the rap game, even 20 years after his death

3. The Beatles - A Hard Day's NIght

It doesn't get much better than The Beatles

4. Buddy Holly - Mailman, Bring Me No More Blues

I love Buddy Holly so much, he was so far ahead of his time musically, and such a shame he died so young and tragically.  He's already a legend, but damn he had so much more potential and could have been such an icon for generations.

5. Wu-Tang Clan - The W

You got to check out the Double U....

6. Haim- Falling

These 3 ladies rock, and look good doing it

7. Rolling Stones w Muddy Waters - Baby Please Don't Go

I love the Blues.  I mean, I REALLY LOVE THE FN BLUES!  The Stones & Muddy Waters, a match made in heaven. 

8. Robert Johnson - Ramblin On My Mind

And here we arrive at the King Of The Blues, the man who made more people's careers than he made songs, the man who sold his soul to the Devil to bring us the Blues.  

9. UGK - Gravy

RIP Pimp C.  Bun B is still cool and all and the better lyricist, but i've never gotten into him solo like I enjoyed him with Pimp in UGK. Pimp had the soul, slang, game and swag that mad the duo work with his Too $hort style.  Pimpin ain't dead, it just moved to the websites.  I'm Pimp C Bitch i'm from the Soooooooooouth

10. Rage Against The Machine - Roll Right

Morello had some of the best effects on guitar, I love the way me just makes tracks wail.

Fun stuff, I have so much more variety and my tastes are so all over the map (no country, no EDM, no R&B, no Pop, no Metal or alternative other than RATM, no Yacht Rock showed up) I gotta do another of these w my full HD of songs.

Second one for fun:

1. Invincible - Adelitas Way - Modern Hard Rock band, random popup from one of my set channels

2. World on Fire - Slash feat. Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators - I dig the shit out of this song.

3. Team - Lorde - eh.

4. Singed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours - Stevie Wonder - I don't feel the need to explain why I have Stevie Wonder on my rotations.

5. Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance

6. The Show Must Go On - Queen - Queen is my favorite band, so there.

7. Help (Live) - The Beatles

8. Here I Go Again - Whitesnake

9. Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson - Confession, I love Michael Jackson.  

10. Rain When I Die - Alice in Chains - During the 90's Grunge thing, when everyone was in love with Nirvana and Pearl Jam, I was listening to every bit of AiC I could get.

Since we're doing seconds:

1. Spamalot Cast Recording - Brave Sir Robin

2. Flogging Molly - The Lightning Storm

3. Andrea Bocelli - Un Canto - Google Translate says this translates to "A Song". Someone wasn't even trying, there.

4. Dropkick Murphys - Fairmount Hill

5. Stephen Warbeck - Wessex Loses A Bridge - From the Shakespeare in Love soundtrack...shut up.

6. Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Mephistopheles' Return - From Beethoven's Last Night.

7. Barry Adamson - Mr. Eddy's Theme 2 - Off of the Lost Highway soundtrack.

8. Nine Inch Nails - I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally

9. Beethoven - Symphony #6 In F, Op. 68, "Pastoral", Allegro Ma Non Troppo - I can culture.

10. Queen - Radio Ga Ga - Owned this before GTA V thankyouverymuch

1. Kacey Musgraves - It Is What It Is

The best new female country singer in ages, and my favorite woman in country music today.

2. Elvis Presley - I Want You, I Need You, I Love you

THE KING

3. Radiohead - The Bends

Always loved Thom Yorke, such an amazing artist

4. Arctic Monkeys - I Want It All

These guys are pretty solid, the lead singer has a killer voice and they have some great melodies

5. John Frusciante - A Name

Probably the best guitar player the Chili Peppers ever had, I felt like his time with the band produced some of their best material after Blood Sugar Sex Magic.  And he's got some great solo stuff too!

6. Mobb Deep - Apostles Warning

Back when the Mobb was killin it, before Prodigy & Havoc each went insane, they were a hell of a duo.

7. The Beatles - And I Love Her

Another classic love song from the GOATs

8. The El Michaels Affair - Can It All Be So Simple

Wu-Tang Clan's live back up band, they jam pretty hard on some of these instrumentals.  This one sounds like a MIDI track almost, with that smooth and funky goodness on top.

9. The Weeknd - Next

Been a big fan of his since he released his first 3 albums free online.  He's the R-rated Michael Jackson for the new generation.

10. O.A.R. - The Wanderer

Ah reminds me of good times, a great college-style jam band.  Like Dave Matthews mashed up with Sublime or something.  Simple but fun

Alright, round two

1 Audioslave - Show Me How To Live

They weren't as great as I wanted them to be, but a solid if odd blend of90's hard rock/grunge and 70's funk is still fun.

2. Blayze -Blood and Belief

My Iron Maiden fandom might run a bit too deep.

3. The Beatles - So Tired.

Still the best

4. Queensryche - Wot Kinda Man

Great band, terrible mid career crisis. Let's move on m'kay?

5. The Wallflowers - Three Marlenas

Pop rock? Why not

6. Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather

Wow this is getting really metal tonight

7. Tori Amos - Pink and Glitter

Well, Tori damn sure ain't metal.

8. Willie Nelson -December Day

If you don't like Willie, you have problems

9. Flatfoot 56 - Pay Me A Dollar

Typically a Christian Celtic-Irish Punk/metal hybrid, but this track is more traditional Irish rock. And it's great

10. The Fugees - Fu-Gee-La

The Score was a masterpiece

1) The Kinks - Afternoon Tea

The Kinks are very British. Your enjoyment of them will be decided by how you react to that phrase internally.

2) Primordial - The Golden Spiral

An amazing opening track off of an amazing album (The Gathering Wilderness). DVDVR poster The Magnificent Seven turned me on to these guys and he was right. They've become a band I enjoy a lot and I spin this whole album with semi-regularity.

3) Swans - Song for the Sun

Not the biggest fan of White Light... era Swans. I mean, this is okay, but they have a lot better. Weighed down by their own overall strength as much as anything.

4) MADVILLAIN - Strange Ways

Not my favourite thing off Madvillainy, but pretty damn hard to go wrong on that album.

5) Joni Mitchell - California

Not a bad song at all either, but like the above there are stronger tracks from its own album, Blue. Still, it's a nice relaxed change of pace.

6) Anthrax - Crush

The opening track from Volume 8 was the only thing I thought enough of to actually take from CD onto my master list.

7) The Doors - Take It As It Comes

I was off The Doors as a band for years because there's so much druggy, hippie bullshit, and/or Jim Morrison writing poetry about his penis. But you know what? There really isn't another band that sounds quite like The Doors, and I've decided in the end that I was right the first time and I like them. Once that original shit hits you just can't duplicate it. Anyway, continuing a theme for most of this set, this is a not-as-famous song by a very famous band.

8) Swans - In

Well, we hit Swans twice oddly enough but we landed on a better record this time. And another opening track, this one from The Great Anihilator. Instrumental piece. Not a "loud" track, but an "intense" one all the same.

9) Charles Mingus - Cryin' Blues

This is off the 60's album Blues & Roots which I think is a very, very strong album overall that has absolutely no weak tracks. This one has Mingus cutting a bass solo, something he doesn't always do despite being his own bandleader.

10) Judas Priest - The Hellion/Electric Eye

Pretty comfortable calling this their defining track(s).

1. Mr Bungle- Carry Stress in the Jaw

Lucky Start. Favorite song of theirs. 

2. Ween- Golden Eel

Haven't listened to Ween in a long time. Song is on their best album, IMO, The Mollusk. 2 stoner songs to start.

3. Helen Humes- Be Baba Leba

I wasn't familiar with this song. I have tons of compilations I haven't listened to. A swing jazz song. She sounds good. Good song. 

4. Rick James- Superfreak 

I was worried this was MC Hammer at first.

5. Fleetwood Mac- Tell Me from the Start

This is from the early days of the band when they were a blues group. Short laid back song. 

6. The Kinks- All the Day and All the Night

I would have preferred something from Arthur. Had that number 1 I believe on the 60s album project.

7. Latimore- Let's Straighten It Out

This was number 1 on the R&B chart in 74 for a short amount of time. Not much of a fan. Just don't think the lyrics are a great fit to the music.

8. Burl Ives- A Little Bitty Tear

Early 60s country pop from a compilation. Not much to say about it. By the numbers. 

9. Lindsey Buckingham- Soul Drifter

I like this song and I like the album Out of the Cradle. Early 90s I believe. 

10. Donald Fagen- Maxine

I can listen to Fagen/Steely Dan pretty much any time. This song was in my regular listening rotation years ago. 

10 songs with no blues. Surprising. Fleetwood Mac was a blues band at the time of the 1 song though. Wouldn't consider that track blues though.

I suspect the HD in my iPod Classic is damaged; of the 7700 songs on my computer, I can only sync 649 of them.  But that's still plenty for this exercise.

1. Bowling for Soup - I Ran (So Far Away)

There are a lot of songs I like by artists I don't.  In those cases I'll usually go with a cover version.

2. Django Reinhardt - Au Pays De L'Hindoustan

Possibly the oldest song in my library (recorded in 1928).

3. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

This is the Soundhouse Tapes version.

4. The Fugs - Coca Cola Douche

Freaking out the squares, man!

5. The Who - Cobwebs and Strange

Easily the weirdest song Townshend and company ever recorded.

6. Jens Johansson - Acrostic Shibboleth

Lotsa notes from Yngwie's old keyboard player.

7. Jim Kweskin & The Jug Band - Blues in the Bottle

Great washtub bass on this one.

8. Willie Nelson - Bach Minuet in G

Willie gets pigeonholed as a country guy but he plays a lot of different stuff.

9. William Shatner - Empty Glass

It is what it is.  Don't you judge me!

10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blues for Meister

Recorded while Kiedis was in rehab, Flea fronts a power trio with Blackbyrd McKnight and DH Peligro.

Mine will probably be full of the country & western.

Cartoon Gold - Drive-by Truckers I'm kinda down on the Truckers lately but this is a perfectly fine little song from their Go-Go Boots album.

A Mess of Blues - Elvis Presley early Elvis is pretty untouchable, really dig his hits but his other stuff like this, really, really fun. It's weird to think a guy as huge as Presley might be underrated but he just might be, he's really good.

Smokey On Your Front Door - Waylon Jennings Waylon is my all time fav but this is kinda generic.

This Is My Prairie - Corb Lund I know he gets a lot of love but I find most Lund boring and have him pretty much for CRTC requirements for my show.

Someday - Steve Earle to this day one of the best concerts I ever attended was a Steve Earle accoustic set, just no frills and kicked so much ass. This song is classic Earle and reminds me of high school when I was super into him.

Big Show's theme- Jim Johnston I have so many wrestling songs on my comp, always hilarious when I have company and we're listening to music on random (like someone else said, the only way to do it) and something like this comes on, embarrassing.

Understand Your Man - Dwight Yoakam Dwight Yoakam simply does the best covers, he can make any song from Train In Vain to Truckin' his own, he does the best version of Ring of Fire for my money and here he is just bringing the swagger to Cash's classic.

Getting Over The Storm - George Jones to quote Travis Tritt, "If we could all sing like George Jones, we would all sing like George Jones.

A Good Year For The Roses - George Jones back to back Possum oh shuffle, this is a quintessential country & western song, love it.

Calling You - Aqua I fucking love Aqua, impossibly fun music, particularly Dr. Jones but this song is pretty good in its own right.

1. Death of Lovers - Shaken.  Actually, I really love this song.  DoL are a side project containing members of Whirr and Nothing, and this is a chill Cure-wannabe song that is pretty chill and sounds like they really really like the Cure. 

2. Neck Deep - Over and Over.  My teenage daughter requested this, so I got it for her on my itunes and never deleted it.  It's rather inoffensive, I think.  I've probably seen them at the Warped Tour.

3. Kacey Musgraves - Merry Go Round.  Put this one on "The King in Yellow" playlist.  Had a couple of songs featured on Season 1 of True Detective and filled it out with some alt-country type stuff.  Fit this one right between Daughter's Human and Sons and Daughter's Gilt Complex. That's a lot of daughters. 

4. Therapy? - Nowhere.  Troublegum! One of my favorite albums of my youth.  Great album, great band.  Really never made anything quite as great as this although I do love Infernal Love.  It does sound pretty dated though. 

5. Astralnaut - Dethroned.  This is part of a sampler from the Sludgelord, I guess.  Pretty heavy sludge metal.  Don't know if I've made it this far down the sampler before.  Vocals are a little silly.

6. Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - Margie.  From the Boardwalk Empire soundtrack.  Love music from this time period.  Man, was the Boardwalk Empire series finale so dumb.  Whole last season was just an extended exercise in "what's the worst thing we can do to all your favorite characters?"

7. Vika Yermolyeva - Astronomy.  Vika does these super technical metal covers of songs on the piano and posts them on youtube.  They're great.  No idea what song this is. 

8. Black Marble - Limitations.  Recently been listening to this.  It's cool, but there's really only one real single and the rest just fades in and out. 

9. Phillippe Entremont - Mazurka In Bb, Op.24/4 (The Essential Chopin).  But of course.  People who tell me that they hate classical music are dead to me.  dead.  dead.  I mean, how can you hate it? 

10. FVCK MOUNTAIN - Cashed In / Sold Out. I don't have a fvcking clue.  Probably something that was name your price on bandcamp and I liked the name of the band.

Well, that was fun.  And now I'm listening to Vika's version of Lullaby by the Cure.  Which, I guess is a logical progression given the 10 songs I just played. 

1. Jadakiss – Shootouts:  Jadakiss is like the Vince Carter of rap, if you look at the highlights you’ll think he’s one of the best ever, but if you look at the big picture you’ll see that neither have ever really accomplished anything meaningful.  This is him and Styles P doing their back and forth thing. 

Ohio Players – Our Love has Died:  I don’t think the Ohio Players get their due as a band, they made some funky ass shit.  This is a low key, laid back song about heartbreak, but it is still funky as all hell.

Cee-lo Green – I’ll be around:  This is the rare solo Cee-lo rap song.  This isn’t nearly as good as his Goodie Mob stuff, but he’s still more interesting than most rappers, too bad he doesn’t really rap much.

Deuce Poppi – Go Poppi Go:  I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard this before.  This is basically a rap version of Go Johnny Go, and I doubt if I’ll ever listen to this again.  Remember when I just said that Cee-lo is more interesting than most rappers, Deuce Poppi is less interesting than most rappers.

Lil Wayne – Freestyle over Drop it Like it’s Hot:  Lil’ Wayne is vastly overrated, he’s never been the best rapper alive, but he’s very good at freestyling over hot beats.  This is him doing what he does best.

Henry Mancini – Silver Tears:  This is something you may not know about me, but I’m a sample junkie.  I am probably as deep into hip-hop as anyone could possibly be, and the question I ask to judge whether or not to get into a hip-hop conversation with someone is, “What is your favorite sample?”  This song is only in my collection, because it was sampled by Joey Bada$$.  I spend a decent amount of time finding samples and their corresponding songs.  I have a playlist with about 800 songs, that I feel is only about 1/8 of the way done.

Alicia Keys – Falling:  This song is really good.  Even though he is not credited, I have a strong feeling that some dude named Kanye had a little something to do with putting this song together.  They’ve always had a good working relationship, and the James Brown sample running underneath this is so deftly done, I have a hard time believing Alicia Keys put this all together.  This came out in January of 2011, which is a few months before The Blueprint made Kanye West the producer of the decade.  One of the ways producers get to be known is by giving other people credit for their work.  No one credited on this song has ever shown any ability to put something like this together. 

The Bar Kays – Holy Ghost:  The cowbell break at the 3:00 minute mark of this song should be familiar to anyone who has listened to “Hey Ladies” by the Beastie Boys.  This is a funky ass song, but what did you expect from the Bar Kays.

Devin the Dude – What a Job:  This is a fucking great song.  Devin, Snoop, and Andre 3000 rap about how much they love their jobs and why.  Devin and Snoop are really good on this, but Andre MOTHERFUCKING 3000 murders this. 

Memphis Bleek – Control:  I don’t think I’ve ever heard this, because I’m known to skip all Memphis Bleek songs.  This is from a random mix from 2011, and since I do this for the people I listened to the entire song.  This is a two verse song, one of them is the usual uninspired, boring ass, Memphis Bleek verse.  The second is a, “I don’t give a fuck if no one listens to this, they won’t say I didn’t rap my ass off,” verse from Redman.  Giving Redman a feature on your song is like giving a crocodile your hand, odds are he’ll take that shit home with him.

• 3 weeks later...

Gram Parsons- Brass Buttons- Easily my favorite country song. I suppose that isn't saying much. There are only a handful of country artists I like. I've listened to his albums a few times. I don't recognize anything by name. Which just shows how much this song stood out. 

Papa Chubby- I've Been Lovin' You too Long- This is good. Have only one of his albums. Never got around to listening to it. It is rare that I haven't listened to a blues artist. Will have to go through them all now. 

Bessie Smith- Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out- This song is a style I don't listen to a whole lot. I prefer guitar blues. The songs sound quality is outstanding for a 1920s song.

Joe Smith- Drowning in the Sea of Love- Over produced 70s song. With the big Philly soul trademarks with the all the strings. Didn't inspire a 2nd listen. 

Ian Dury- Reasons to be Cheerful Part 3- Love this song. I prefer listening to this one on youtube. Since it has the video for the song. 

Bobby Brown- Roni- Haven't listened to this one in ages. Glad I got the slow song. Not in the mood for new jack swing. I'm not really a huge Brown fan though. Of the New Edition members Johnny Gill is my favorite. 

Stevie Ray Vaughan- Tightrope- Really good song about his drug use. Too bad he didn't get to enjoy being sober longer. 

Joy Division- Wilderness- Happened to listen to this song and others by them yesterday. Probably went a year without putting them on. I have bad tendency to play a song or group I like too much. End up sick of it.

Toto- Rosanna- This is great song. It has the added bonus of being famous among musicians for the drum beat. The Rosanna shuffle. Steve Lukather plays 2 great solos as well. I like the closeout solo better. 

Barbara Lewis- Baby I'm Yours- Getting some good ones tonight. In the running for my favorite ballad of the 60s sung by a female. 

I LOVE this game, used to play it on a music board...before it blew up.

I haven't read anybody's posts in the thread because I don't want to be motivated to skip if something has already been covered.

01. Ellie Goulding - Don't Panic: One of my favourite songs off the new album which I don't like as much as 'Halcyon' but there are few things in recent years that I liked as much as 'Halcyon'.

02. The Killers - Bones: I love the Killers.  I don't think I'm supposed to, I'm supposed to find them corny.  But The Killers are just a good solid pop-rock band with hooks and big anthemic choruses.  Also, this song has one of my favourite things: surprise horns!  When they kick in on that second chorus, I'm in heaven.

(03. Some classical song from the '7 Psychopaths' soundtrack that was entirely too long to type out.)

03. Debbie Reynolds - Tammy: Speaking of things I'm probably not supposed to like.  I ended up downloading this because I found this monster .rar file that someone made of every song featured in 'The Big Lebowski' and this was one of them.

04. Sam Cooke - Feel It (Live at the Harlem Square Club): Has anyone hear not heard Sam Cooke's 'Live at the Harlem Square Club'?  When I first heard it, I posted about it on the aforementioned music message board and someone said "Oh I wish I had never heard it before just so I could experience hearing it for the first time all over again" and I know exactly how he feels six years later.  So if anyone hasn't heard it, they need to do now, then post about it.

05. Hop Along - The Knock: This album blew my socks off.  The singer's voice is incredible this weird girl-y shout that sounds like Sleater-Kinney kind of but not really. This is a Top 3 album of 2015 for me.

06. Nirvana - Serve the Servants: Such an incredible song.  As I put distance between my teenage self who loved Nirvana and my thirtysomething self who still likes Nirvana, I am beginning to feel like this is the best Nirvana song full stop.  It's so poppy and hook-y but still so abrasive, like the initial way it starts all off-key and off-kilter before launching into that super catchy opening riff.  Sometimes I fantasy-book CM Punk returning to WWE as a jaded heel who no longer wants to entertain the fans and just sits on boring chinlocks with this as his theme song: "Teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old".

07. m83 - Outro: There was a period of time where this song was everywhere, in every movie trailer, in NFL hype montages, Red Bull commercials.  And there's a reason, it's friggin' epic.  Always makes me feel like I can do something important.

08. Jimmy Eat World - Goodbye Sky Harbor: A 16+ minute emo epic based off the novel 'A Prayer For Owen Meany' (One of my favourite books ever, btw).  This song is so hypnotic.  I love the little electronic coda with the repeated vocals.

09. Eric's Trip - Happens All the Time: This song belongs more to a specific time and place than maybe almost anything else in my iTunes.  For starters' it takes me right back to being 16 and listening to his on my walkman while ignoring people at school.  But the home recording quality, the fuzzy guitars, the sound of it is just nothing you hear from any other era.

(10. My Morning Jacket - I Will Be There When You Die: should have gone here but it's too sad to listen to as I've got my cat home from the vet this weekend where he's expected to quietly pass away, so I am not listening to that right now!)

10. The Long Winters - Scared Straight: This was one of my favourite songs when I heard it about 10 years ago, used to listen to it all the time.  And when I got an mp3 player, I got out of the habit of listening to CDs when I went everywhere and I forgot about the disc and then I got a new computer and forgot to port this song over.  So a couple months ago, I was re-organizing my many CDs and stumbled across this one and suddenly remembered this song and put it on my iPod and it comes on sometimes and it just makes me feel so good to listen to it.  So catchy, so endlessly singalongable, and it has horns!

I love The Killers. They so clearly wish they were Duran Duran it's endearing, but with more guitar. Big hooks and sing-a-long choruses, just a touch of indie sensibility, but still unabashed pop rock.