DVDVR Message Board

A "Dirtsheet" Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Rather than waste time talking about what's in WON this week, let's look back on our collections of dirtsheets way back when... For your approval I submit Lance Levine's CHOKEHOLD as the greatest thing ever with Pro Wrestling Sushi coming in a distant but respectable second...

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny that 150 pound Bryan Alvarez called a woman, who is virtually the same size as him or even bigger, a geek like she couldn't tear his arm off at the socket and jam it into the side of his neck. That is a dude in desperate need of a reality check.

It's funny that 150 pound Bryan Alvarez called a woman, who is virtually the same size as him or even bigger, a geek like she couldn't tear his arm off at the socket and jam it into the side of his neck. That is a dude in desperate need of a reality check.

I get the whole point that Alvarez isn't going anywhere because he handles the technical side of things since Dave is Dave, but good lord, he is so awful, and I'm sure Dave knows it. His cadence is Shatner-esque, with it's bizarre inflections and pauses and his whole angry smart mark persona just feels really dated. Meltzer has a good amount of goodwill built up with a lot of people, but I think being associated with such an obvious troll kinda kills his credibility a little bit. Meltzer's stuff with Sempervive is a million times more pleasant to listen to, and plays more to his strengths as someone giving historical background and stories than having to play straight man to Alvarez. 

I get the whole point that Alvarez isn't going anywhere because he handles the technical side of things since Dave is Dave, but good lord, he is so awful, and I'm sure Dave knows it. His cadence is Shatner-esque, with it's bizarre inflections and pauses and his whole angry smart mark persona just feels really dated. Meltzer has a good amount of goodwill built up with a lot of people, but I think being associated with such an obvious troll kinda kills his credibility a little bit. Meltzer's stuff with Sempervive is a million times more pleasant to listen to, and plays more to his strengths as someone giving historical background and stories than having to play straight man to Alvarez. 

Dave has his radio crutches ("you know" and "um" being the main ones obviously), but Alvarez's entire shtick is a crutch.

You must not listen very often, since Alvarez often refers to men much larger than he is as geeks.  That's his go-to word for referring to anyone who isn't a main eventer.

It's funny that 150 pound Bryan Alvarez called a woman, who is virtually the same size as him or even bigger, a geek like she couldn't tear his arm off at the socket and jam it into the side of his neck. That is a dude in desperate need of a reality check.

You must not listen very often, since Alvarez often refers to men much larger than he is as geeks. That's his go-to word for referring to anyone who isn't a main eventer.

No, I listen all the time. He usually uses the word to describe someone who is made to look silly in an angle or match, but he doesn't end it the way where it's that personal. That doesn't bother me since he is talking about either WWE and TNA making someone look like that. In that context, I can kinda understand why you would probably say that.

This was his personal feeling about someone. When he was talking about Ronda Rousey's gameplan against Holm on the Monday edition of WOR, he ended his rant about why her gameplan was bad with ", geek" like he personally bet money on the fight and lost. I had to run that back 3 or 4 times just to make sure. It's like he doesn't understand that same woman could beat up him and his wife simultaneously.

I always remind people that you can still just get a print only observer and avoid the website entirely. ;)

I totally would, but the main reason I subscribe really is for Dave's MMA scoops (including what bouts are potentially being made after events) on the radio show. Sometimes, he is about six to seven hours ahead of MMA websites on certain stuff. That and he usually has the first buyrate numbers for UFC events and the like. So I wouldn't really have any use for a print version for news that has already been broken or been copied and pasted without giving proper credit to Meltzer. Thus, I only read the Observer occasionally anyway.

Makes sense. As someone who doesnt follow mma and most current wrestling stuff outside of cmll, i care more about in depth writing than news.

I may read an obit and some of the lead WWE stories here and there, but that's pretty much it. I can get better MMA writing from other places, and that's nothing really against Dave. I already have like 20-30 new articles on my Twitter feed every morning, including Dave's stuff from MMA Fighting. Shit, I can read more in depth stuff from Meltzer for free than paying for the Observer.

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to WOR here at work and I just heard my favorite Dave mixed metaphor.  Instead of saying someone went "all out" or "balls to the wall," he combines them into "he went balls out."  So it sounds like the person i question is just walking around with his nuts hanging out.

• Like 1

Makes sense. As someone who doesnt follow mma and most current wrestling stuff outside of cmll, i care more about in depth writing than news.

In depth writing, the likes of which you can find at russianflagburial dot com. :)

• Like 1

My fav mixed metaphor was Kornheiser once saying "he threw him over the side of the bus."

Must have been an open top bus. :)

Walking around in downtown Baltimore some time ago I passed a homeless man ranting to all who would listed about, I guess, other vagrants working his block.  He yelled "they're taking money out of my mouth!"

Better than them taking food out of his pocket, I suppose.