DVDVR Message Board

CHRIS JERICHO PODCAST THREAD (New)

RIPPA

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2018 at 7:45 AM, DeathyBoy said:

Team Canada were s great stable. Surprised WWE never made a go for the guy actually. 

I seem to remember Callis telling a story on KTT about D’Amore getting a tryout or something, he pitched a gimmick and the company liked it. They then decided to keep the gimmick and not give Scott the job. For the life of me I cannot remember what it was, but it was a popular attitude era one. Maybe someone can clarify it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 7:45 PM, PetrolCB said:

I seem to remember Callis telling a story on KTT about D’Amore getting a tryout or something, he pitched a gimmick and the company liked it. They then decided to keep the gimmick and not give Scott the job. For the life of me I cannot remember what it was, but it was a popular attitude era one. Maybe someone can clarify it. 

I think he came up with the idea of a hockey playing wrestler and they turned it into The Goon. Here's an article from SLAM! Sports about D'Amore where he talks about it so I'm pretty sure that's what Callis was referencing as well

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/Bios/damore.html

Despite his affection for the technical wrestling, he has had two forays into gimmick wrestling. 

In late 1995, he created Gross Misconduct -- "a hockey tag team." He was Scott Hunter, and his partner was Dave Clark. A short time later, the WWF came out with The Goon, Bill Irwin dressed in hockey gear as a pro wrestler. "It was very short-lived, which I was disappointed at," said D'Amore. "As soon as they established it, I had a lawsuit ready ... Once I saw they put it on Bill Irwin, I knew it wouldn't [take off]" 

In 1997, he took a different sport into the ring, and Chip Birdy, "a golfing wrestler," came and went.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

“Chip Birdy”? Shit, he should’ve teamed with Darsow. 

I don't know, "Here comes the Chip, here comes the Smasher" doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Meltzer episode was a fun listen. I like when Dave is on Chris’s show, it ends up being pretty good. 

Austin on today’s new episode. Pretty music heavy, really awesome listen. I love when wrestlers drop the wrestling stuff and just into regular joe stuff. 

• 5 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the Bruiser Brody episode with Meltzer. Lots of fascinating stuff especially Chris talking about lifting a lot of Brody and Funk's mannerisms for his current run in Japan.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2018 at 4:21 PM, odessasteps said:

Mark Henry on todays show talking MSG and other stuff

It's a pretty good listen.  I didn't know how much of a pain it is to do the Garden and can't say I blame WWE for not going there as much.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I was all excited to read the description of todays show about the history of his debut on Raw until i saw Conrad was the guest. 

No thanks 

I get not liking Conrad (even though I do) but this ep is worth it for not-under-contract Jericho shit talking WWE a little. His take on the Authors of Pain is... too real.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Natalya/TJ episode talking about Jim Neidhart was a really great listen.  It was great hearing them share their memories of him and it did get pretty sad near the end.  One thing that will get me to watch Total Divas is she had them film parts of the funeral so that will be on there.  That will be a pretty rough watch along with whatever else they show.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday's episode with The Elite on the cruise was a fun one and definitely reinforced my wanting to support them as much as possible.  They all seem like really great guys and it's so easy to root for them.  Plus it had the added bonus of them officially announcing they're not Bullet Club anymore which may or may not be a big deal.

• 1 month later...