DVDVR Message Board

Preacher

Craig H

I'm probably the worlds biggest Preacher fan, I still reread it on the regular. I love it, warts and all. And I've loved how they've been weaving together stories and narratives from the comics. And this season is fucking "Angelville", and it's been outstanding so far. Betty Buckley as Gran'ma has been unbelievable, and the takes on Jody and TC are fantastic.

Wait, which two? And we can openly talk about it. Fuck this spoiler shit. No one is talking about it and it aired yesterday. We only heard the coffin mentioned before,  not seen, this was the first time Granma took off her wig, John Wayne debuted here, they mentioned Humperdido before but he hadn't been seen, and the abduction and Les Infants debuted here at the same time.

18 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Wait, which two? And we can openly talk about it. Fuck this spoiler shit. No one is talking about it and it aired yesterday. We only heard the coffin mentioned before,  not seen, this was the first time Granma took off her wig, John Wayne debuted here, they mentioned Humperdido before but he hadn't been seen, and the abduction and Les Infants debuted here at the same time.

Humperdoo was shown last season. Why is Granma taking off her wig a big deal?

18 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Also, this season has established Tulip as a bad ass on the highest level.

That was already well established last season. This one just goes even further with it.

I totally forgot they showed Humperdido. As for Granma, I'm the comics when you first see her she's bald and grotesque. She never wears a wig. I thought they were just going to go with her having hair, so when the wig came off I was like, "AHA!"

They showed the coffin last season as well, albeit without explaining it.

This show remains fantastically weird. It's kinda like Preacher but different in so many spots. I was really shocked they suddenly dropped the whole John Wayne thing in this late into the game.

It's tremendous. It's made with love for the source material. And it reminds me of Arrow. Stay with me. 

The first few seasons of Arrow were intentionaly very loose with it being a comic book show. It took awhile before it had enough audience to become a full fledged comic book show.

The first two seasons of Preacher took their time molding the material and finding an audience while giving the comics fans enough, and so far this season has been a full fledged "Hey, this is all from the comics pretty much, including some actual dialogue."

Graham McTavish was announced for Dragon Con today, and I am at a loss for whether I want to get him to sign my Saint of Killers #1 that Garth signed ages ago, or get him and Colleen O'Shaughnessy (Jan) to both sign my Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 1 (he was Loki)

• 3 weeks later...

God damn, that was awesome. I was grinning from ear to ear the whole time. The Jesse/ Jody fight couldn't have been better. I geeked out for the "Kinda Dif'ernt" bit.

And this season did the impossible and made TC sympathetic. It was amazing and an amazing performance, to boot.  And now we got Masada and Frankie the Eunuch next season!

12 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

And this season did the impossible and made TC sympathetic. 

To me, that was probably the most impressive bit of writing this season.

Loved this season.  I really hope this show only goes a few more seasons though.  I really want to see how they wrap the show up before they either get canceled prematurely or hang on too long and the writing goes downhill (or someone crucial leaves the cast).

I kinda wonder how long Dominic Cooper (or more likely, a stylist who works for the studio) has to spend to keep his hair looking like that.  Lol, even being put in a coffin and sunk to the bottom of a swamp, then escaping by blowing up the coffin and swimming to the surface of said swamp, couldn't damage Jesse's hair.  God damn!

• 4 weeks later...

I never read the books, so going in cold, I liked the first season but was pretty bored by the second. The latter half of the third season was really well-paced, though, and a lot of things were paid off in the last couple episodes. Loved it.

• 9 months later...
24 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

I had not actually realized AMC had pre-emptively announced this as the final year until this past weekend.

I said the same thing in the tv thread.  i found that out about a week ago when I googled the start date for s4.

I really think they've done everything important. This season looks like a mix of Masada and the final arc, and they'll probably do Cassidy's origin. There's really not much left. I mean, there's no way they were going to do Jesus De Sade.

• 1 month later...