DVDVR Message Board

Preacher

Craig H

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That was amazing, and we ended the season right where the comic starts. I'm beyond excited.

It was fucking amazing. I know "wait and see where it leads" is some sort of term to be mocked by dummies round these parts, but holy shit that ruled , and the entire season lead up to it and it all made sense.  Annville blows up. They used Odin, Root, LeBlanc, Fiore, and  Arseface in ways far better suited for a TV show than the comic versions . And they didn't shoot their load right away and built up to what we all want to see. We've also seen quick flashes of Jody and TC as well as Herr Starr. I'm loving this.

• 9 months later...

The trailer for Season 2 that borrows from the Comic Con extended trailer is absolutely tremendous.

Now I need to binge watch Season One to refresh my aging memory.

Here is the "Hey Mickie!" trailer featuring the Saint of Killers.

Looks like we're done with the superhero origin blues part of this comic book series. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess season one was only dull for part of the season?  I checked out after three or four eps.  From what I remember, it was dull, plodding, and not really adapting the comic material except in the loosest sense.

I watched the first two eps of season two this afternoon.  Holy shit.  They really got the rhythm of the comic down, even to the gore.  First 20 min of the season premiere were intense, gory, exciting.  And they kicked off the search for God.  They're actually doing it.  Holy shit!

It does seem like some of the details are being changed around, though it's been a long time since I read Preacher so I might just be mis-remembering.  

That fight scene between Tulip and the big guy (forget his name) in the hotel room was uncomfortable to watch, though.  I'm not cool with that much man-on-woman violence, even though Tulip beat him down at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

This season has been fucking awesome. Again, I'm the biggest Preacher fan out there. It's my favorite comic book series .And that's why I'm loving this. The tone is perfect and they're getting everyone right, as well as doing stuff with the characters that works better for Tv then the comics would. Tulip was involved with the mob was done better, the Cassidy / Jesse/ Tulip Dynamic is the same but done more nuanced, and the Grail looks exactly like the comics except Featherstone is a bad ass. It's perfect. A straight adaptation would only have worked as an HBO Crtoon like Spawn.

And Starr is awesome.

On 12/1/2015 at 2:29 AM, bobholly138 said:

I am hoping we get the Messiah just like he was in the comics.

On 12/1/2015 at 5:22 PM, nate said:

HUMPERDIDDO!

On 12/2/2015 at 0:35 PM, rainmakerrtv said:

Sermon On The Mount! Humperdoo!

Wish granted.

-----------

The show has become fascinating. It's adapting Preacher without the toxic masculinity. 

I watched the rise of Starr clip on YouTube ... Just faboo.  Personal preference, it would've been great to see Tom Noonan in that role, but I was impressed with what I saw.  Welcome to the Grail, indeed.

Oh come on, "macho tough guy" bullshit was one of the major things Ennis was satirizing/commenting on throughout the entire series. It's what Jesse's relationships with both Tulip and Cassidy are about. I mean, that's one of the two most fundamental elements of the series, along with satirizing/commenting on faith.

• Like 1

I, too, enjoy this show. It's been close to twenty years since I read the comics, so while there are things I remember, there's a lot I don't. I'll be honest in that I think the premise in season 1 is better than the premise in season 2, even if the premise in season 2 is basically the comic. Dealing with small-town politics and secrets and hypocrisy had more to it than the sort of aimless search for god. 

Holy shit, that season finale was fucking awesome. I'm a fan of changing shit in comic adaptations as long as they get the tone right and hit certain plot points. Season one showed that, but it was also an introduction. This season was balls out Preacher. 

I want to freak out about one little thing that had me cheering that it happened and why, but I don't want to spoil it just yet.

I'm constantly fascinated by what they are and aren't changing and keeping. But everything is in place for season 3 to be insane.

I'm feeling like it shouldn't go past four or five though. Get "Until the End of the World" told and then go find God.

• 7 months later...

Sooo.... I'm thinking I need to finally watch this show.  I've seen parts.  Watched the first three or four eps of season 1 and thought it was dull.  And they nerfed the search for God.  Whut da hale?  Checked out.  Checked back in for the start of season two and thought it was kinda awesome.  I was hooked.  Then after six or seven eps, I started DVR'ing the show and never watched the rest of the season.

Going to order season two box set this weekend.  What's the opinion on season 1?  Worth watching.  I didn't have any trouble keeping up with the beginning of season two despite not having seen season one, so I feel like it's probably skippable unless it;s worth a watch for on it's own merits.

Dominic Cooper's hair should win an award.