DVDVR Message Board

Preacher

Craig H

On 5/23/2016 at 10:51 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I think that was what the end of the episode was about, him finding his passion.

I think that sort of speaks to my point about the changes they've decided to make lessening the impact. Jesse was a man who was forced to give up because the world beat him down. Through random chance he was given a weapon that makes him rediscover his anger and his fight and it's built up so long that he is as much a force as what is now inside him. In the show so far, Jesse is the equivalent of a guy going through a quarterlife crisis, complaining that he can't get paid for doing what he loves and taking facebook quizzes to see what he might be best at. 

Apparently the first season is supposed to be a prequel to the actual story, and season two (if it happens) is going to be where the actual plot starts.

The Saint of Killers intro was awesome and Cassidy continues to be great, but the rest of the show continued to bite the big one.  It's not as if I can say I actively hate it either, it's just so bland.  Is Tulip tasering, kidnapping, and chaining up her ex to try and coerce him into pulling off some illegal plot supposed to be endearing?  Because it came off as mostly sociopathic and unstable to me.

I think you have to go the animated route to do an as close to faithful as possible version of Preacher or better yet, Sandman.  Faithful version doesn't mean it would be a good show.

The intro got a 'woah' out of me, thought they'd be holding back on that introduction for a while. But the second episode as a whole was a big meh from me. And I still wish Matthew McConaughey was playing Jesse, the bloke playing him just doesn't have that sorta laid-back righteous bad-ass ass-kicker vibe to him at all

The show really needs to pick up or i won't make it through the season.  I'm mostly disinterested in the show so far.  It seems to be moving at a very slow pace, which would be fine if it was doing a better job of world-building or characterization.  The supporting players are mostly one-note so far. 

My opinion of Jesse so far is that he's a cipher.  Dominic Cooper's low energy performance isn't doing it for me either.  I don't dislike Ruth Negga but Tulip isn't interesting me so far.  Ruth Negga looks and plays her like way too much of a pixie to be convincing criminal/determined badass.

It's unfair to judge it after only three episodes, but so far it's the dullest combination of angels, vampires, and superpowers I can think of.

Everyone keeps going on about the pace and the slow burn, it's three bloody episodes in and is no different to how season 1 or 2 of Walking Dead went. At the moment I'm just willing it to get this stuff out of the way so it can all kick into high gear in season 2. Everything's being put in place and I expect to go crazy in the last two episodes, I'm guessing the Carlos thing is the impetus for them going on the road. Alas, Jesse and Tulip just ain't cutting it for me - Ruth Negga has this fun, bubbly explosiveness to her (and a smile that could stop anyone's heart) but her portrayal doesn't seem to be on point and while Cooper looks the part he just doesn't have the righteous ass kicker vibe to him

Admittedly, despite it being recommended to me constantly, I have never read Preacher. However, the Mrs. & I have been digging the show, except for Pearl's character who seems to be pretty damn one note. Cassidy is our favorite thus far, in a walk. 

It's almost impressive that literally every change that they have made has been worse and more boring than the source material. You'd think they'd be able to change something for the better purely out of chance. Why make a show and give your protagonist less agency? Why is him wanting to stay where he is a better dramatic choice? I guess they want to build to something forcing Jesse out on the run, but that just makes it seem like Jesse is beholden to forces out of his control, which is the exact opposite of what made the character an interesting one in the comics. 

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like the way they are setting up Jesse and Tulip's backstory like they are going to cut out Grandma, TC and Jody? 

Yeah. Odin Quincannon is a huge improvement and putting aside the jokes, so are both Arseface and his father. But I mean...someone said 19 is the perfect age to read Preacher and I feel that. At a time when a lot of the innovations are no longer fresh, I'm not sure how well it holds up. The show works pretty well to both modernize it and take it away from some of the more dated elements. 

I keep wishing they could say 'Fuck' though. So many scenes I felt would be improved by it.

Loved the new episode. Fiore and LeBlanc are better here than in the comic, and the Eugene/ Arseface twist ruled. Again, I love that they're playing with the toys in the toy box that is Preacher and doing it differently. And we still got Cassidy's joke about Genesis being an awful name of an awful band.

That was probably my favorite episode of the season so far, but I'm starting to wonder if they're ever going to touch the "God abandoning his post in Heaven - let's go find and kill him" plot. This could easily be a prequel season, but each episode I'm waiting for shit to really hit the fan. But the slow burn to something big is obvious, and I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

Poor, poor Arseface.

• 3 weeks later...

The Saint of Killers origin shit is fucking awesome. I'm totally loving how this is all coming together. Let's face it, in the comic Jesse pretty much gets the power, reunites with Tulip, meets Cassidy and immediately is the hero who has his mission. And that worked in the comic book. But this is a TV show. It needs to not be just a play based on the exact comic to work. And I'm loving it. I'm especially loving that Arseface, Sherrif Root, LeBlanc and Fiore are far more fleshed out than the comic versions. Especially LeBlanc and Fiore. 

• Like 1