DVDVR Message Board

Preacher

Craig H

Why do you think Snyder's Watchmen fails? Curious.

It fails to make changes in scenes that need it then changes scenes in ways that screw with the context (the 'bomb', Silk Spectre I not being able to hate the Comedian 'because he gave me you') combined with a complete failure to understand or portray that every lead could be seen as a hero from the correct perspective. It villifies Comedian and Ozymandias, but not Rorschach. In general it just kind of turns it into a good/evil dichotomy instead of the more complex narrative Moore/Gibbons created (which was itself more of a celebration of potential than deconstruction).

There's other reasons, but that's the big one.

Watchman? Fun? Oooooook.

And yeah, Preacher likely works best on HBO, but HBO has already passed and the next best options are AMC or FX. Given the final season of Sons of Anarchy, FX is probably the better destination of the two, but I also think that last season of SoA was allowed to be so grossly violent because it was the last season of a successful show.

I'm still cautiously optimistic and if it fails, then the book is finally closed on making Preacher happen in movie or tv series form and everyone can just move on.

Not sure why, but Preacher makes me think of the Dark Tower, and of the two, I think it's far more important that the Dark Tower succeeds.

• 4 weeks later...

They aren't following the book, they're supposedly doing their own thing, with the book as a template.

Yeah, I hate that idea.  And with my interest in Into The Badlands going from Whoa! to Fuck This Show! in record time, I imagine that Preacher will get ITB's timeslot once it has been cancelled.

They aren't following the book, they're supposedly doing their own thing, with the book as a template.

I understand they aren't following the comics. I still don't understand how the narrative is improved by bringing Odin in so early. Odin is fun, but having him be an initial antagonist seems like a bizarre choice. I could be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Ohhh yeah.  The one weekday a month I have a social obligation I can't miss and my bus from south of the river to north is detoured so far that I literally can't get there from here. (Thankfully I was able to get a friend to drive me, but we took the very long way 'round.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...