DVDVR Message Board

Preacher

Craig H

I just wonder if they've got the balls to make God (that is, the literal Biblical Jehovah) into the preening arrogant HEEL that he is in the comics. I can't imagine how you'd do that and not get every conservative religious group in the country to NOT scream for boycotts against your network.

As I said in tv thread, at least we wont see Assface.in this...hopefully.

The trailer didnt really excited me but it didnt turn me off. Too many unknowns right now.

Seth Rogen is a producer on this, right?

/io9.com/jesse-counsels-arseface-in-the-first-pic-from-the-preac-1704719582

I just wonder if they've got the balls to make God (that is, the literal Biblical Jehovah) into the preening arrogant HEEL that he is in the comics. I can't imagine how you'd do that and not get every conservative religious group in the country to NOT scream for boycotts against your network.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

My guess is that they're slow-playing a lot of the more outrageous elements of the comic in order to hopefully pique the interest of the uninitiated before dropping the wild stuff on them.

Having never read the comic, I guess I fall into that category, and I'll just say that the teaser left me kinda lukewarm. Nothing immediately turned me off to the prospect of seeing more, but it mostly felt like yet another variation on the Difficult Man template, and I don't really need another one of those in my life unless it's really special.

Damn you, odessa. I knew if I Google it, it might come true. That's my new take on using Google now. Google brings things to life.

The God as the great heel thing works better on HBO because they dont have to worry about pleasing advertisers as much as AMC does to keep it afloat. I can still see AMC running the storyline but I think the ratings would need to be on the higher end to justify the headache. I dont think Halt & Catch Fire level of ratings would cut it if they ran most of the God storyline. I wonder if they'll even hint at it much in the 1st season.

In today's super-paranoid "War on Christianity" political climate, I can't see AMC taking that chance. At least, not unless they go the Star Trek 5 route and have it be something that CALLS itself "God", but is plainly meant to be not-actually-Jehovah-Himself (which is totally what He was in the comics).

Having never read the comic, I guess I fall into that category, and I'll just say that the teaser left me kinda lukewarm. Nothing immediately turned me off to the prospect of seeing more, but it mostly felt like yet another variation on the Difficult Man template, and I don't really need another one of those in my life unless it's really special.

Having read all the comic: practically nothing shown in that trailer ever happened in the book. And if the show even remotely follows the book's plot, then the trailer is a pretty poor representation of what the show is gonna be about. The storyline is not about a minister solving problems in his parish.

I thought it was because I havent read it in a long time as evident by me completely forgetting character names but the trailer did not spark much familarity. Cassidy was definitely the most interesting character to me in the series and it was a bit odd to see him without the glasses in the trailer.

If you only went by the trailer and didn't see any set photos or read any interviews, it'd seem like they're pulling a Wanted on us.

Pretty much this. I think this series is going to be wild as hell and can understand why people would be trepidatious.

As for God as a villain, I think you can do it. It's likely going to be TV-MA. How much do groups protest The Walking Dead? Not only that, but I could see religious groups missing the point entirely and not raising much of a fuss...until you get to events that would play out in the final season. By that point, if the show makes it that far, why would AMC even give a shit? It's going to play out and there's no point in stopping it.

Having read all the comic: practically nothing shown in that trailer ever happened in the book. And if the show even remotely follows the book's plot, then the trailer is a pretty poor representation of what the show is gonna be about. The storyline is not about a minister solving problems in his parish.

If I had never read the comics, I'd come out of this thinking the show was some type of A History of Violence/John Wick/Taken sort of plot where a seemingly upstanding citizen has a questionable past that he gets drawn back into when he becomes some sort of vigilante. 

I've watched the trailer several times now and tried the best I can do to fit what they showed in with the actual plot of the story.  My best rationalization is - instead of drawing the ire of his congregation by getting drunk and publicly airing their dirty laundry in a bar, Jesse tunes up wifebeater guy and gets tossed in jail overnight (was that cop supposed to be Hugo Root?) and meets Cassidy, who got locked up for doing whatever Cassidy-like shenanigans he was up to, at the same time.  The brief glimpse of a plane made me think of the desert/nuke part of the story, though that's at least a third of the way into the series.  Cassidy looking to be in disguise as a flight attendant or some such made no sense.  I'm guessing Tulip was fighting with either that mob guy she worked for or the guy she was supposed to be trying to kill.

No matter how bad it is, I'll probably end up hate-watching it.  As of now, I'm going to do what I can to not have any real expectations positive or negative.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It doesn't enthuse me that the guy writing the article is wrong about why Snyder's Watchmen fails. But I actually agree with the sentiment...slavishly loyal adaptations won't necessarily be good and with Preacher being about 20 years old now in addition to some of the content obviously being a bit much for AMC, stuff was always gonna have to change. As long as the tone is still there, I'm good.