DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLE-1 "Raising An Army" Debut on 9/8/13

Kevin Wilson

Apparently they have some type of sponsorship deal with Ezaki Glico, however big or important they are I have no idea.

Glico's a HYUUGE candy and processed food conglomerate. They own Pocky. That alone gives them essentially unlimited money to throw away on ego projects. Also: Pretz, Cheeza, Papico, Juku Curry, Happy Pucchin Pudding... all of their proprietary brands are hugely popular, plus they make breakfast meats, sausages, instant noodles... You see the Glico logo on every kind of unhealthy and tasty thing over here. I doubt a week has gone by since I moved to Japan when I didn't consume some kind of Gliko product. If they are really into supporting Muto, that's gigantic news. I'd have to assume they are the kind of company that could literally throw millions into this and laugh it off as a tax dodge.  

Yea I can't tell if they are sponsoring this event or the promotion as a whole, but Mutoh has always seemed to be able to get sponsors when he wants them.  From reading their site I *think* that the show has sold out as they are advertising that now they only have for sale "obstructed view" seats for only 20 bucks.  Might be their way of saying standing room only, I don't know what the Japanese call that and I doubt Google Translate does either.

That is safe to pull off if the card is sold out, you just better deliver or it can kill the credibility of the promotion instantly.  If its a bunch of lower level TNA guys and Indy wrestlers, then fans are going to be pissed off from day one and any future "X" wrestlers will be assumed to not be a big deal.  Hopefully at least for the main event they got some main-event worthy wrestlers.  TNA can't help but so much since they have an event Saturday night with a full line-up already announced on the East Coast so no way those wrestlers can get there in time.

There'll be no TNA guys on the debut show according to Muto's latest interview with Tokyo Sports. From what I can gather, when it comes to the TNA relationship Muto's interested in using only younger guys from TNA. In the interview he also talks about wanting to create some sort of unified championship to be defended in W-1, TNA, AAA and Europe.

That's what I assumed they're planning 

That is safe to pull off if the card is sold out, you just better deliver or it can kill the credibility of the promotion instantly. 

It might be safe for the house show, but aren't they broadcasting live as well? I'd think that having at least some of the card set would be helpful for bringing in viewers. Eh, but what do I know.

If using young guys is code for letting Masakatsu Funaki beat the shit out of Bischoff's kid then I'm all for it. 

I'd flip for Mutoh vs. Sting today. I don't care how much older they are. 

Results from Purolove (I don't think I need a spoiler tag, but I'll add one until I get the go-ahead):

[Results] WRESTLE-1, 08.09.2013 (von Sternness am 08.09.2013)
WRESTLE-1 "W-1 DEBUT TOUR", 08.09.2013 (GAORA TV/iPPV)
Tokyo Dome City Hall

1. Hiroshi Yamato & Daiki Inaba (Debut) besiegen NOSAWA Rongai & MAZADA nach einem Northern Light Suplex von Yamato gegen NOSAWA.
2. Kohei Sato Posted Image & Ryouji Sai Posted Image besiegen Ryota Hama & Yasufumi Nakanoue (10:18) nach einem Piledriver von Sato gegen Nakanoue.
3. Women's Pro Wrestling Match: Yoshiko Posted Image besiegt Mayu Iwatani Posted Image(6:26) mit einem Diving Senton.
4. Koji Kanemoto & Minoru Tanaka besiegen Masaaki Mochizuki Posted Image & Fujita "Jr." Hayato Posted Image(13:08) nach einem Ankle Hold von Kanemoto gegen Hayato.
5. Daisuke Sekimoto Posted Image & Yuji Okabayashi Posted Image besiegen Kaz Hayashi & Shuji Kondo (15:20) nach einem Deadlift German Suplex Hold von Sekimoto gegen Kondo.
6. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata besiegen Masakatsu Funaki & Masayuki Kono (16:30) nach einem Chickenwing Facelock von Sakuraba gegen Kono.
7. KAI Return Match: KAI besiegt Seiya Sanada (16:41) mit dem Splash Plancha.
8. Keiji Muto & Bob Sapp besiegen René Duprée & Zodiac (10:20) nach einem von Muto gegen Duprée.

I can't say that the majority of X's are too surprising, though I'd prefer to see some of them in AJ. #6 is probably the most interesting, while the main event is obviously the most "Oh Muto, you so crazy!"