DVDVR Message Board

Change.org: Force for Justice or Haven for Twits? Or Both?

OSJ

Okay, as you may suspect from my obvious liberal leanings I've been known to sign a petition or two or even (perish the thought) actually DO something when I perceive a gross injustice. So of course I have signed a couple of petitions on Change.org, the result being a seemingly unending stream of requests to sign more (totally unrelated) petitions, but today has to be the last straw...

Yes, I'm all for animal rights, and nothing will spur me to action faster than cruelty to animals, but today I am asked to sign a petition regarding the proper housing of bats at our nation's zoos. Yes, you read that correctly, bats, the winged rodents known for carrying every horrible disease known to man and tolerated only because they keep the insect population under control. First, I was unaware that zoos housed bats at all, I mean they are completely nocturnal, so like what's the point? They spend all day looking like a turd hanging from the ceiling, so why would you want to exhibit such a creature anyway?

I can get behind no-kill pet shelters, I can even support the idea of giving pigs that are being raised for slaughter more room to move around and do pig things in. Hell, I can even oppose cock-fighting knowing that roosters are nasty, evil creatures; but bats? Seriously, bats? With all the things that there are for one to get all worked up over, someone finds the issue of proper housing for bats to be cause celebre? WTF?

I read up on the old Thunderbird myths, and the consensus is that they were probably *just* a variety of condor that tops out at 5' 2" with a wingspan of over 10'.

Like that's supposed to make me feel better? I was shook when a 2' tall hawk took up residence in our backyard for a couple days. I would probably faint if I came across a bird that's as tall as my sainted mother!

My cat killed a couple of bats once. Where I used to live, there were lots of roofs of different heights and she could climb on all of them, so I think she got on the highest rooftop and crouched down, making herself seem part of the environment, and then when a bat flew over low, upward pounce and kill.

They looked like tiny mice with wings. You don't get them big ones in the UK much.

Well, they are basically winged rodents, so it's no surprise a cat would go after it, but I've never heard of that happening before. I think the only usual natural predators for bats are large birds and stuff. The super gigantic ones you only see in a few parts of the world. Mega Bats.

In an attempt to become "The Night" Craig H ventured out into the vast wastelands of Indiana where he was accosted by a winged horde of demonic rodents of evil and was last seen being carried away towards a cave somewhere.

I read up on the old Thunderbird myths, and the consensus is that they were probably *just* a variety of condor that tops out at 5' 2" with a wingspan of over 10'.

Like that's supposed to make me feel better? I was shook when a 2' tall hawk took up residence in our backyard for a couple days. I would probably faint if I came across a bird that's as tall as my sainted mother!

Do a search for "Terror Birds" and be prepared for sleepless nights.