DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2015 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I finally watched Minions. It was all right. One did scene did have me laughing my ass off, though: when one of them gets the guitar as a present and...

... proceeds to whip out a guitar solo, smashes the guitar in his enthusiasm, realises what he's done and then grabs the earlier joke-gift snow globe with all the misplaced dignity in the world.

Watched The Kingsman tonight and it was super-fun. Kind of the spawn of an unholy alliance between 'Shoot Em Up' and the Bond films (The latter of which, admittedly, I'm not much of a fan of).  Lots of fun gadgets and fights.  Much more violent and curse-filled than I was expecting (Until I noticed it was directed by the same guy who did 'Kick-Ass') and just altogether entertaining.

I liked how

they cleverly killed off all the big name actors so that if they do a sequel, they really only need to re-sign the young actors and Mark Strong

also the sequence near the end with

peoples' heads exploding to 'Pomp and Circumstance' is one of the silliest, most exhilarating great visual moments in cinema this year

I want to believe it won't suck because I have no ill will of any kind towards the old comics, but there's been like 5 different commercials for the Peanuts movie and none of them feature anything remotely close to funny.

Can you cite an example of Peanuts being funny?  I always saw it as pleasant, inoffensive and just mildly entertaining.  Sort of like Winnie the Pooh.

My thoughts exactly.

Actually, it's kind of depressing because Charlie Brown is such a sad sack who lets everyone screw with him.

And what's with one of the commercials using Teenage Wasteland?  What an odd song choice.

Some movie called Spectre comes out on Friday.  Just sayin'.

And yeah, I always thought the whole point about Peanuts is that it was funny in a wistfully and nostalgically remembering your own childhood / kids say the damndest things kinda way and not a hee haw piss yourself with laughter kinda way.

Some movie called Spectre comes out on Friday.  Just sayin'.

Some movie called Spectre also has it's own thread.

Hence the "just sayin'."  Got a "November will be a wash" vibe from the first few posts and November has some quality films coming out.

Oh yeah, no question.  Room and Spotlight both go to wide release in November.  Also there's the remake of The Secret In Their Eyes, which could go either way, but I'm thinking will be able to stand alongside the original.

Other films of interest that least gets limited release in November (meaning I probably will not see it until February):

Trumbo

Legend

Carol

In Jackson Heights (the latest Wiseman film, who I am completely blind to as a filmmaker).

There's the obvious wider release stuff as well: 

Mockingjay Part 2

The Good Dinosaur (which feels very underhyped by Pixar standards)

Creed (I am curious if this will be good).

In the middle of all the Rocky Horror 40th Anniversary celebrations in Los Angeles this past weekend, (Rocky Horror Day in Los Angeles on Friday, Tim Curry Day in West Hollywood on Saturday), I got to relax for a few hours and see Tab Hunter: Confidential on Friday evening. It's a good doc. Hunter was there for the screening before mine and was meeting and greeting people. The guy looks AMAZING for his age (84) and was incredibly charismatic.I think a lot of it has to do with his absolute lack of bitterness towards anything that happened in his life or career.

Watched The Kingsman tonight and it was super-fun. Kind of the spawn of an unholy alliance between 'Shoot Em Up' and the Bond films (The latter of which, admittedly, I'm not much of a fan of). Lots of fun gadgets and fights. Much more violent and curse-filled than I was expecting (Until I noticed it was directed by the same guy who did 'Kick-Ass') and just altogether entertaining.

I liked how

they cleverly killed off all the big name actors so that if they do a sequel, they really only need to re-sign the young actors and Mark Strong

also the sequence near the end with

peoples' heads exploding to 'Pomp and Circumstance' is one of the silliest, most exhilarating great visual moments in cinema this year

It's also based on a comic written by the same guy that wrote the comic Kick-Ass was based on.

I want to believe it won't suck because I have no ill will of any kind towards the old comics, but there's been like 5 different commercials for the Peanuts movie and none of them feature anything remotely close to funny.

Can you cite an example of Peanuts being funny? I always saw it as pleasant, inoffensive and just mildly entertaining. Sort of like Winnie the Pooh.

You apologize to Winnie the Pooh right the fuck now.

• Like 1

Finally showed the little ones Star Wars: a New Hope.

They lost their minds. They got a little bored a few times, but the next big battle always captured them back.

My littlest is five and has watched every Star Wars Rebels episode at least 5 times, and has been frothing at the mouth for the Force Awakens. He went as Darth Vader for Halloween and has a Kylo Ren poster on his wall. It's about time he saw this.

My 7 year old said it was as cool as the first time she saw snow. We're probably doing Empire Strikes Back tonight.

• Like 6

It's made by the same guy who did Fruitvale Station, which I've heard nothing but good things about. The trailers for Creed look pretty awesome, it's almost like they're trying to re-do Rocky V and get it right this time.
  • Like 1

It's made by the same guy who did Fruitvale Station, which I've heard nothing but good things about. The trailers for Creed look pretty awesome, it's almost like they're trying to re-do Rocky V and get it right this time.

I wasn't as wowed by Fruitvale Station as many seemed to be that year. I think there was even a debate in one of the movie threads towards the end of that year as to whether people here thought it was a great film. I thought Michael B. Jordan was very good in it, but I thought it was an above average film at best.

I wasn't as wowed by Fruitvale Station as many seemed to be that year. I think there was even a debate in one of the movie threads towards the end of that year as to whether people here thought it was a great film. I thought Michael B. Jordan was very good in it, but I thought it was an above average film at best.

I think you just stole my review of that movie :) I totally agree with what you wrote.

• Like 1

The close-up of Charlie Brown when he goes, "RATS." after everyone shits on his tree in Charlie Brown Christmas never fails to crack me up. Or when Lucy tells him what pantophobia is and after one beat (beautiful comic timing) Charlie Browns yells "THAT'S IT!" Then Lucy tells him she wants real estate for Christmas, cause a lot of Peanuts humor comes from kids talking like adults. Shit, Peanuts is still funny to me dammit...

Mr. Holmes was... okay... I guess. Its chief pleasure, of course, was merely watching the process of Ian Fucking McKellen playing the role of Sherlock Fucking Holmes. And having Laura Linney just linneying all over her underwritten role was pretty nice too. But man, that script suuuuuucked. Slow pacing, low stakes, lack of practically anything exciting going on. It tries to stitch together three completely unrelated stories which have jack-shit in common, and the seams ain't exactly seamless. And frankly it's depressing to watch McKellen forced to play the part as a doddering, ancient, demented invalid. Especially since Holmes's long-term memory is treated with such blatantly manipulated contrivance; there's entire parts of the movie where his memories are turned on and off like a light switch, which simply isn't how this shit works.

I guess I should be grateful that poor Bill Condon has ANY talent left after making two Twilight movies in a row; but I feel more bummed out that the same team that made Gods & Monsters produced such mediocre results this time. Truthfully, the best bits were entirely just little Holmesian in-jokes with the casting, like That One Cabbie from Sherlock appearing, or Hollywood Movie Sherlock Holmes being played by the guy from Young Sherlock Holmes.

My wife and I took our 4-year-old daughter to the Peanuts Movie this afternoon.

Daughter loved it. So did my wife. I was a bit more "eh" on it. It's sweet and innocent, but a tad vanilla and bland (but there were genuinely funny moments). It's also purposely anachronistic.

For adults, it's essentially a tribute to the comic strip and older TV specials. Name the classic bit, you will probably see it. Go in there with slightly lower expectations -- this film is for the little ones and those who simply want to see an old fashioned movie.

They definitely didn't take the material and do anything different with it, but I laughed a bunch of times and it felt right. It was very self-aware in knowing when to layer in the iconic moments, but it reused the iconic moments instead of giving us new ones. 

Except for maybe the end, which I'm iffy on.

Can you cite an example of Peanuts being funny?  I always saw it as pleasant, inoffensive and just mildly entertaining.  Sort of like Winnie the Pooh.

The Thanksgiving throwdown between Snoopy and the lawn chair was hilarious AND a ***** match.

• Like 1