DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Got caught up on Quantico this week.  I think I have a love/hate relationship with this show.  I mostly enjoy it.  They've done a good job fleshing out interesting characters.  On the downside, every single person seems to have a deep, dark secret, a hidden agenda, or a motive to become a terrorist.  It's like they watched How to Get Away With Murder, and decided, yeah, let's make everyone a potential murderer.  That's the way to go.

Also, I'm interested in the who and why of the mystery, but they're writing the show like 24.  Every single hour has a crisis, a character with a secret, a red herring, a babyface turn, and a cliffhanger ending.  Ugh.  It's exhausting.

Any guesses who the terrorist is?  I'm assuming it's none of the trainees since they all have obvious motives and are being brought to the forefront way too early to actually be guilty.  And creepy intstructor dude with his off-the-books surveillance seems way too obvious,  That leaves.... well, no one really. 

My money's on the blonde guy who figured out Siimon was just pretending to be gay.  They spent too much time developing his plotline to write him out that early, and I know I've seen the actor in other roles.  Besides, he has no motive.  In the kingdom of people who all have strong motives, the motiveless guy is king.  Or something like that.

Just finished with Backstrom. The writing was a little cliched, the concept was rather unoriginal and Wilson over-acted at points...but, yeah, there was something weird and mysterious about this show that pulled you in, nonetheless. It was very, very watchable. I truly wish it had lasted longer. But, hey, at least it ended on a nice conclusion. You got some closure. A cool little story.

Also, is it too early to start with the "This Whole Show is Dwight Schrute's Fever Dreams About Being a Badass Detective Who Attracts Hot Chicks" theory? 

Gravity Falls is ending after this season, and I'm sad.

I am sad but it was bound to happen sooner or later.  Probably cheaper for Disney to depend on Marvel and Lucasfilm for Disney XD-esque programming and focus on the live action teen shows that are just licenses to print money. 

Glad that Gravity Falls won the BAFTA and ended its run before jumping the shark.

The plot thickens in Episode 2 of Into The Badlands and the badassery of opening scenes continues..   How convenient for The Widow for her best clipper to be a girl the same age as MK.

New season of American Crime comes on soon on ABC.  Probably taking the 10PM time slot given up by HTGAWM during the winter finale break.  I am prepared to be angry and have my soul crushed.

After watching all of Jessica Jones in 24 hours, The Wife and I found ourselves needing something newish. Thus we powered through all of Rick & Morty Season 1. I haven't seen my Wife laugh like that watching TV so needless to say, it's a hit with us!

James

The action is top notch, but good lord the acting is AWFUL, especially the kids. I might just resort to watching the show on demand so I can fast forward to the fight scenes.

This is what I am doing.  It is the Shaw Brothers formula of having just enough dialogue to justify the next fight. 

For anyone else still watching The Leftovers, I think "International Assassin" was a probably the best episode they've done so far. I thought the episode that had Christopher Eccleston going through his version of "Groundhog Day" was good but this past episode was great. 

Got caught up on How to Get Away With Murder over the weekend.  On the one hand, I'm hating this season.  The wacky lighting for the flash-forward (present day, I guess) scenes at the house, the fact that there could not possibly be this many murderers in a law office with three employees and a couple interns, the fact that the couple characters who haven't killed or tried to kill someone must have no moral compass whatsoever.  And the fall finale was over the top grand guignol....

At this point, I don't think there's a single character I'd be sad to see bumped off.  But hell if I don't want to see where they go from here.  The finale had so much ridiculous stuff, it should be impossible to walk that back.

I assume I'll drop the show before season's end.  It's kinda terrible this season (I liked season one) but at least it's not dull.

Yes, please, everyone start watching and buzzing about The Leftovers. I was one of the few supporters of last season, but this season has yet to miss, and Sunday's episode is really what you want from Lindelof when he's firing on all cylinders. I'm kind of bummed that these next two episodes will probably be the final two we get in this world because the ratings are garbage.

Got caught up on How to Get Away With Murder over the weekend.  On the one hand, I'm hating this season.  The wacky lighting for the flash-forward (present day, I guess) scenes at the house, the fact that there could not possibly be this many murderers in a law office with three employees and a couple interns, the fact that the couple characters who haven't killed or tried to kill someone must have no moral compass whatsoever.  And the fall finale was over the top grand guignol....

At this point, I don't think there's a single character I'd be sad to see bumped off.  But hell if I don't want to see where they go from here.  The finale had so much ridiculous stuff, it should be impossible to walk that back.

I assume I'll drop the show before season's end.  It's kinda terrible this season (I liked season one) but at least it's not dull.

I watched the first season and it was so absurd.  And it annoyed me that I could see where all the pieces of the idea came from...take the flash-forward from Damages and the weekly courtroom twists from The Good Wife and the manic amoral interns from House and VIOLA!!!

Speaking of whom, I realized about half way through that the reason I kept watching was because the whole thing is just an excuse to write amazing moments for Viola Davis FUCKING ACT!!!! and that I could watch forever.

Just watched the rap battle episode of Empire, how is this not the Freda Gatz show? She's the best character by far. That contest was rigged, she mopped the floor with Hakeem. He needed stupid theatrics to sway the crowd.

THIS.  

I don't know what planet Hakeem won that battle on, but it sure wasn't ours.  Freda slayed him.

• Like 1

Like I'm sure all red-blooded Americans did, I wrapped up my Thanksgiving by marathoning the first 4 episodes of ASH VS. THE EVIL DEAD. It's good! But it definitely loses something once Sam Raimi steps away after the pilot. By the end of the second episode, it's clear that Raimi's careening camera moves and rapidfire zooms and cuts and weird angles are as integral to this world as Bruce Campbell and buckets of gore. Without him, it's evident that something is missing. The other directors try to imitate it from time to time, but it mostly comes off as just that: an imitation.

By the time I hit the 3rd episode, it's clear I was watching Just Another Cable Horror/Fantasy/SciFi Show, replete with a thin supporting cast of variable acting abilities, dodgy digital effects, and tropes, tropes, tropes to build stories around (an occult book dealer! a shaman to take Ash on a spirit journey!)...only with Campbell doing his signature shtick in the lead. But as far as those types of shows go, this one is pretty good. And at only 30 minutes per episode, it never overstays its welcome.

Any time I felt my patience waning, there was usually a legitimately funny gag (Ash's spirit journey takes him to....Jacksonville, FL?) or the episode would end, with enough of a tease to pique my interest for the next one (Lucy Lawless has Ash's hand!).

Also, I don't remember Ash being *quite* this much of an asshole in the movies, but I was young when I first saw them, so "asshole" probably registered as "awesome cool person" in my brain.

Comcast's free Starz On Demand trial?  Lol, that's why I watched Ash vs. Evil Dead last night.

My feelings are about the same, though I don't find Raimi's work as interesting as I used too.  I kinda feel like his stylistic excesses are something I "outgrew" (to be fair, I feel the same way about a lot of Tim Burton's work).  

Anyway, thought the first half of episode 1 was awesome.  Was a little bored by end of episode 1.  Was answering email by ep 2, and decided to leave show playing while I left room during eps 3 and 4.  

Don't really feel like it was terrible - if you like campy, low-graded horror - but not my thing.

The Leftovers foreshadowed the reveal at the end of the episode in the most on the nose way, and I still screamed Holy Shit at my t.v. because I was so immersed in the episode.

I am very sad that next week is probably the final episode of this series.

I think what helped the reveal on the Leftovers is that even though there were large breadcrumbs throughout last night's episode, nobody had really considered that possibility because the few hints we were previously given were in a season premiere filled to the gills with disorienting weirdness.

They played fair with us, but also gave us a worthwhile, shocking reveal. Dug it.