DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Jennifer Lopez has way better hair than Michael Chiklis.

I dunno. The teaser trailer for Shades of Blue looks ok. I can't really get past the fact that, even glammed down, Jennifer Lopez looks like no cop you'll ever meet. Her J'LO persona is so outsized at this point that it's hard to buy her in a gritty role.

(I sorta have the same problem with Castle. I have too much trouble buying 90 lb. Stana Katic and her supermodel hair as a career cop.)

Who are you to doubt Jenny From the Block?

I dunno. The teaser trailer for Shades of Blue looks ok. I can't really get past the fact that, even glammed down, Jennifer Lopez looks like no cop you'll ever meet. Her J'LO persona is so outsized at this point that it's hard to buy her in a gritty role.

(I sorta have the same problem with Castle. I have too much trouble buying 90 lb. Stana Katic and her supermodel hair as a career cop.)

Who are you to doubt Jenny From the Block?

Goddamnit, it's stuck in my head now.

Update: Trace is not involved in the MST3K reboot. It'll be new voices for the bots as well. The voices in the pitch video are the new bots and host (the top rumor going is Jonah Ray), The new Mad is a woman; both'll be announced within a couple days.

So, Bad Cop vs Worse Cop?

Seen it.

It's like a sequel to The Shield.

I dunno.  The teaser trailer for Shades of Blue looks ok.  I can't really get past the fact that, even glammed down, Jennifer Lopez looks like no cop you'll ever meet.  Her J'LO persona is so outsized at this point that it's hard to buy her in a gritty role.

(I sorta have the same problem with Castle.  I have too much trouble buying 90 lb. Stana Katic and her supermodel hair as a career cop.)

Kristin Kreuk in Beauty and the Beast is still one the most ridiculous fictional cops ever because not only does she look like she just wandered in from a fashion runway, she's too tiny and frail-looking to ever be a convincing threat to anyone. It would be like getting arrested by Kate Moss or Miranda Kerr or something. 

Jennifer Lopez, eh, I get the point, But at least she looks like she could maybe handle herself against a criminal. She's certainly not this fragile waif.

Essentially, I don't think it's so much absurdly gorgeous cops that are the problem, it's more whether someone looks like they could be at all physically cut out for it. That's when suspension of disbelief goes out the window.

I used my resting my bad back week off to start watching 'Getting On' and just PLOWED through both seasons in like 6 days.  It's a really staggeringly great show and I'm completely baffled how Laurie Metcalfe isn't in discussion for winning all the Emmys for her role as Dr. Jenna James.  Seriously great cast and it's just the perfect amount of really sad, really funny, really touching, slightly juvenile.  Apparently the third season just began, so I'm going to be watching taht.

I used my resting my bad back week off to start watching 'Getting On' and just PLOWED through both seasons in like 6 days.  It's a really staggeringly great show and I'm completely baffled how Laurie Metcalfe isn't in discussion for winning all the Emmys for her role as Dr. Jenna James.  Seriously great cast and it's just the perfect amount of really sad, really funny, really touching, slightly juvenile.  Apparently the third season just began, so I'm going to be watching taht.

One of my favorites.

Great writing.

I spent too much time around units like that for the last 20 years and they're not far off from reality.

Kristin Kreuk in Beauty and the Beast is still one the most ridiculous fictional cops ever because not only does she look like she just wandered in from a fashion runway, she's too tiny and frail-looking to ever be a convincing threat to anyone.

Who are you to doubt the power of Chun Li?
  • Like 3

Kristin Kreuk in Beauty and the Beast is still one the most ridiculous fictional cops ever because not only does she look like she just wandered in from a fashion runway, she's too tiny and frail-looking to ever be a convincing threat to anyone. It would be like getting arrested by Kate Moss or Miranda Kerr or something. 

Jennifer Lopez, eh, I get the point, But at least she looks like she could maybe handle herself against a criminal. She's certainly not this fragile waif.

That's not difficult to imagine at all. I've done it many times.

• Like 2

Who had Wicked City to be first in the death pool this year? ABC's cancelled it after 3 episodes

I was surprised when I realized Wicked City was the first cancellation of the season.  Most shows have aired about seven episodes.  This seems like it's rather late in the season for the first cancellation.  Usually, one or two shows get whacked after 2-3 weeks.

I'm gonna beat J.T. to it and say that Into the Badlands was pretty neat. Then again anything that opens with a rotting child carcass and a series of people getting their limbs broken and summarily murdered by kung-fu is gonna appeal to me. The plot is gonna be dizzy as a motherfucker (it already is -- a kung-fu opium plantation? an Asian Mad Max of a karate master/swordsman hero? a kid with telekinetic powers that appear when he's injured? "Badlands" that look like the rural South more than a post-apocalyptic wasteland?) but you probably guessed that already. 

• Like 3

I'm gonna beat J.T. to it and say that Into the Badlands was pretty neat. Then again anything that opens with a rotting child carcass and a series of people getting their limbs broken and summarily murdered by kung-fu is gonna appeal to me. The plot is gonna be dizzy as a motherfucker (it already is -- a kung-fu opium plantation? an Asian Mad Max of a karate master/swordsman hero? a kid with telekinetic powers that appear when he's injured? "Badlands" that look like the rural South more than a post-apocalyptic wasteland?) but you probably guessed that already. 

I liked it even though the story is kinda clichéd/silly and the villain isn't very villainous (looks like an old hipster).  Fight scenes were really good for an American TV show, but probably not that surprising since Stephen Fung directed them.

The story runs all over hell and breakfast but I really liked the pilot.  The world it is set in reminds me of Bunraku a bit with the banning of firearms, but placed in a more lo-tech setting that is far more fitting.

There is a guide at AMC that fills you in on the background storyline like the politics and feudal power structure and the like.

Yeah, I am totally in love with Veil. 

The MK kid was annoying me a bit until his powers kicked in and he put that kid's eye out by catching and throwing a shard of glass.  That kinda fucking ruled.

The upside of being at my folks's house this week is being able to binge watch Ash vs. Evil Dead. 

Into the Badlands had a neat deal where Walking Dead fans had to wait until the first commercial to see the preview for next week (which didn't show much)  There were those that were annoyed at a 20 minute segment, but most were loving the 20 minutes they saw.  This is going to be a super fun show to watch for sure.

I was dumb and decided to spend quality time with my girlfriend on Saturday night watching Iyanla: Fix My Life.

I did not need to know that former figure skating great, Debi Thomas, was unemployed, in a dysfunctional relationship, lost custody of her son, and was living in a bedbug infested trailer in Richlands, Virginia.

I now want to punch myself in the face.