DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

It will be syndicated to cable about 18 seconds after it launches so the streaming thing doesn't bother me. In terms of the show itself, we'll see. Anything but another Voyager.

Nuts to this, Voyager is the only good Star Trek.

Reboot of B5, return of X-Files, yet another Trek series... I dunno how "interesting" things are getting other than it seems like TV is following the movie scheme of milking existing properties for every last drop rather than take chances on new ideas.

I'll definitely give the new Trek show a shot, even though the TV has been steadily going downhill since the brilliance of DS9. Voyager was boring and Enterprise was downright terrible. As much as I disliked Abrams' version of the Trek Universe, I also think a TNG continuing from that timeline would be the smart way to go just avoid all the baggage of the old Trekverse. I'd definitely try to distance it from TNG, though, like say make it the story of the Enterprise C rather than the D. Plus going with Captain Garrett would be a pretty smart move with female action leads being the hot thing on TV nowadays.

Reboot of B5, return of X-Files, yet another Trek series... I dunno how "interesting" things are getting other than it seems like TV is following the movie scheme of milking existing properties for every last drop rather than take chances on new ideas.

Reboots of old shit and no new shit.

Zero fucks given.

The X Files reboot is interesting from the point of view that Gillian Anderson is weirdly getting more and more gorgeous as she gets older.

This isn't even a Paul Rudd or Halle Berry thing where she looks the exact same as she did in the '90s.

No; she looks better.

The X Files reboot is interesting from the point of view that Gillian Anderson is weirdly getting more and more gorgeous as she gets older.

This isn't even a Paul Rudd or Halle Berry thing where she looks the exact same as she did in the '90s.

No; she looks better.

Exhibit A: Her role in the Fall.

The new Trek series is being run by a guy who not only worked on the Abrams movies, but is a regular screenwriter for Michael Bay. Including Transformers 2. Abandon ALL hope, ye motherfuckers who enter here. This is gonna suuuuuuuuck.

Meanwhile, things that DON'T suck: the criminally underwatched CW show, Crazy Ex Girlfriend. WHY IS THIS NOT A MASSIVE HIT? It's just the best thing ever. Catch it on Hulu if you can't see it when it airs. For example, the following song number (taking place inside the deranged head of the beyond-neurotic protagonist) is this show's version of what having a lesbian crush (on the current, annoyingly perfect girlfriend of your beloved ex-boyfriend) is like:

No; she looks better.

She is really great on that show. And that show ROCKS.

Speaking of reboots, Netflix reportedly contemplating a reboot of .... "Head of the Class" ...

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/11/03/exclusive-netflix-considering-head-of-the-class-reboot-following-fuller-house

Given that Brian Robbins (who co-starred on "Class") is now a successful TV/movie producer, I could see him try to milk the series to make a few more bucks (surprised Dan Schneider didn't propose this first, unless he and Robbins are working together on the reboot)

No; she looks better.

We still need to watch season 2. I'm hoping it's as good.

I turned on CBS to watch the 12 o'clock news and Young and the Restless was still on. A high rise is burning up with a bunch of people inside and a guy trapped confronts a hooded figure in a red robe holding a scepter. He takes off the hood and it's RAY MOTHERFUCKIN WISE! I don't know WHAT is going on with that show but I almost want to watch it tomorrow to find out. He looks like he stepped out of The Devil's Rain.

• Like 1

We still need to watch season 2. I'm hoping it's as good.

Every season of The Fall has been terrific.

It will be syndicated to cable about 18 seconds after it launches so the streaming thing doesn't bother me. In terms of the show itself, we'll see. Anything but another Voyager.

Nuts to this, Voyager is the only good Star Trek.

Voyager is terrible. It's a preachy, goddamn mess where they never decided what they wanted it to be and changed directions way too late to save it, then spent the rest of the time neutering the franchise's biggest villains. It has large number of episodes that are literally nothing but technobabble for half the episode.  It also clearly (quite painfully so at points) got the B-end of the special effects budget while it was on the air concurrent with DS-9. Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of the Star Trek universe. It has about the same good number of episodes as Enterprise except there's three extra seasons of filler. Robert Picardo is fantastic on it as The Doctor Tim Russ is also really strong, but it's just not enough. By the time Voyager was off the air Star Trek was basically a dead franchise because it bored everyone to death.

I have expressed my very important opinion for you on the internet. I feel better now.

• Like 2

How are more people NOT watching Scream Queens?

"It's too bad you had to die before we found out what ethnicity you are."

I was in tears at that.

(For context: the dead girl was played by Ariana Grande) 

• Like 1

I watched the first four episodes, and dropped it simply because all my shows from last year came back and I have limited TV time.  I don't want to sound like a prude because I don't actually OBJECT, but I was surprised to learn that you can call someone a slit or a gash as an insult on FCC-regulated TV now.

I was rather surprised Chanel #1 got away with chewing out Hester for breaking into her closet and thus violating her "second vag."

Of course, Hannibal did an absurd amount of stuff too.

Once you've given network television a pass on a guy cutting off his face with a razor and feeding it to the dogs, I'm not sure what there is to limit. 

Empire's gotten away with a fair bit too in terms of language.

Voyager is terrible. It's a preachy, goddamn mess where they never decided what they wanted it to be and changed directions way too late to save it, then spent the rest of the time neutering the franchise's biggest villains. It has large number of episodes that are literally nothing but technobabble for half the episode.  It also clearly (quite painfully so at points) got the B-end of the special effects budget while it was on the air concurrent with DS-9. Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of the Star Trek universe. It has about the same good number of episodes as Enterprise except there's three extra seasons of filler. Robert Picardo is fantastic on it as The Doctor Tim Russ is also really strong, but it's just not enough. By the time Voyager was off the air Star Trek was basically a dead franchise because it bored everyone to death.

I have expressed my very important opinion for you on the internet. I feel better now.

It was campy and I enjoyed it, that is my only response.

It might be more difficult to rip if CBS takes the proper steps, but I would think the Star Trek fanatics would just pirate the new show.

Jon Stewart signed a deal with HBO.  Not as a talk show host though.

Aziz Ansaris' Netflix show, Masters of None, is released Friday.  It's suppose to be pretty good.  Binge in play.  Can't wait.