DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2015 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Voyager is terrible. It's a preachy, goddamn mess where they never decided what they wanted it to be and changed directions way too late to save it, then spent the rest of the time neutering the franchise's biggest villains. It has large number of episodes that are literally nothing but technobabble for half the episode.  It also clearly (quite painfully so at points) got the B-end of the special effects budget while it was on the air concurrent with DS-9. Neelix is the Jar Jar Binks of the Star Trek universe. It has about the same good number of episodes as Enterprise except there's three extra seasons of filler. Robert Picardo is fantastic on it as The Doctor Tim Russ is also really strong, but it's just not enough. By the time Voyager was off the air Star Trek was basically a dead franchise because it bored everyone to death.

I have expressed my very important opinion for you on the internet. I feel better now.

It was campy and I enjoyed it, that is my only response.

The only redeeming thing from that show was the doctor. The original series and even the cartoon did camp better than that show. Shit, I found Enterprise to be less offensive because at least more than one character was likable from time to time. I even found their "zany" episodes were better than V'ger's.

But don't worry, dawg... I like weird Star Trek things that are universally panned, like the first movie. Love it. 

Doctor was okay but the best - only - awesome thing about Voyager was Brad Dourif. His three episodes are the only ones I'd even consider re-watching. Maybe he did it as a fan, maybe he had no interest in a TV series commitment, I don't know the trivia but he was by far the most compelling and charismatic character they ever introduced and had the producers any sense they would've made him a regular rather than going for cheap desperate "Look! A hot Borg!" nerd wanking.

I was rather surprised Chanel #1 got away with chewing out Hester for breaking into her closet and thus violating her "second vag."

Of course, Hannibal did an absurd amount of stuff too.

Once you've given network television a pass on a guy cutting off his face with a razor and feeding it to the dogs, I'm not sure what there is to limit. 

Empire's gotten away with a fair bit too in terms of language.

I just started watching Empire but I cringe and get the douchechills every time someone uses "ish" as a stand-in for "shit"  That shit is embarrassing.

Eh, it's still gotten away with a lot. 

When HBO or Showtime or Netflix do their inevitable Empire rip offs (which, yes, there are already plans for), I guess the one advantage is they will be able to say anything

Yeah, I've been excited about Aziz's show for last 2 pages or so, and I found some time to check out the pilot today.  Great start.   It kind of reminded me of a Louie episode only Aziz's character is a bit more likeable, which isn't necessarily a requirement or a good thing creatively speaking.  It's just how I felt.  Oh, and more modern too.

5 episodes in to Aziz Ansari's Master of None and it is a damn good watch so far. Netflix has another hit I think

James

After a stupidly busy several weeks, and more busy life ahead, I took a Sunday off from leaving the house and just lounged all day.  And one of the things I did with that time was binge watch all 10 episodes.  Needless to say, I liked it. 

It does a great job of being funny and heartfelt and presenting a lot of really likable characters. 

I finished Hannibal. The first season was good, the second season was great, the third season was over the top and got worse as it went on. I hope the show won't get picked up and that this was the real, final ending. I'm quite disappointed, given my hopes for it during the first two seasons.

Man, that last half hour or so of The Leftovers last night was quite gripping, intense tv. That show can put you through the ringer emotionally, but it's making it very rewarding this year.

And this is why I'm continuing to become a rabid Carrie Coons fan.  Exhibit A (spoilered for size):

12188011_10153734077794661_7470638600642

• Like 1

So, Bad Cop vs Worse Cop?

Seen it.

It's like a sequel to The Shield.

Jennifer Lopez has way better hair than Michael Chiklis.

I dunno.  The teaser trailer for Shades of Blue looks ok.  I can't really get past the fact that, even glammed down, Jennifer Lopez looks like no cop you'll ever meet.  Her J'LO persona is so outsized at this point that it's hard to buy her in a gritty role.

(I sorta have the same problem with Castle.  I have too much trouble buying 90 lb. Stana Katic and her supermodel hair as a career cop.)

The kickstarter is already up (and has made 10k during the time I've written this post). I'm curious who is coming back for it. Joel is involved (It looks like he & Shout Factory bought Best Brains, Inc. from Jim Mallon. They've renamed it Consolidated Puppets, Inc.), but he won't be the host. There will also be new Mads. I'm assuming Trace will be Crow, but I don't know who will be Servo.

EDIT: After watching the pitch video, Trace is definitely Crow. Servo is definitely not Kevin Murphy.