DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2015 PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

There's a chapter about him in the Greg Oliver book about the heels.  He was a main-eventer in Portland but pretty much a mid-carder at best everywhere else.  Apparently his big claim to fame was almost getting Portland Wrestling thrown off the air for threatening to kill the Easter Bunny:

Does it get any more despicable than threatening the Easter Bunny on live TV? It was the night before Easter in 1970, and Beauregarde was on Portland,  Oregon’s  KPTV, telling viewers that he was going to let his evil minion, The Claw, loose in town. “All you kids out in TV land are not going to have any candy or Easter eggs tomorrow. I told The Claw to hide in the bushes tonight,  and wait for the Easter Bunny to come by, and when he does I told The Claw to jump out and put the clawhold on him, and squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze.”The Claw was Tom Andrews under a mask, and he hadn’t been clued in on what Beauregarde was going to say. “I was just standing there. He was doing the interview. He came up with that, and I said, ‘Uh, oh.’” Uh, oh is right.The phone lines lit up, and the station representatives threatened to ban Portland wrestling forever if an apology wasn’t made.
  • Like 3

There's a chapter about him in the Greg Oliver book about the heels.  He was a main-eventer in Portland but pretty much a mid-carder at best everywhere else.  Apparently his big claim to fame was almost getting Portland Wrestling thrown off the air for threatening to kill the Easter Bunny:

Does it get any more despicable than threatening the Easter Bunny on live TV? It was the night before Easter in 1970, and Beauregarde was on Portland,  Oregon’s  KPTV, telling viewers that he was going to let his evil minion, The Claw, loose in town. “All you kids out in TV land are not going to have any candy or Easter eggs tomorrow. I told The Claw to hide in the bushes tonight,  and wait for the Easter Bunny to come by, and when he does I told The Claw to jump out and put the clawhold on him, and squeeze, and squeeze, and squeeze.”The Claw was Tom Andrews under a mask, and he hadn’t been clued in on what Beauregarde was going to say. “I was just standing there. He was doing the interview. He came up with that, and I said, ‘Uh, oh.’” Uh, oh is right.The phone lines lit up, and the station representatives threatened to ban Portland wrestling forever if an apology wasn’t made.

Now that's a HEEL. . . . 

There's a chapter about him in the Greg Oliver book about the heels. 

I don't know how often they have been mentioned in the book thread, but the Oliver books are essential buys and are great reference material for whenever you feel like going down that youtube rabbit hole.

• Like 1

That Beauregarde thing in Portland sounds awesome. If it were a few years later you could see Roddy Piper wanting to kill the guy like he wanted to do to Bobby Heenan for saying Santa wasn't real.

After watching the video, the song isn't half bad either. I'm kinda bummed this guy wasn't bigger now back then. A heel Peter Fonda Easy Rider gimmick. With the Billy Jack movies back then I am surrprised he wasn't bigger.

Also just as awesome:

He was renowned for his unique wrestling moves (and finishing move The Thumb) and crazy on-stage characters he created for himself. On match days he would find a historic figure whose date of birth fell on that day and pretend to be them during the match and in interviews.

Also just as awesome:

He was renowned for his unique wrestling moves (and finishing move The Thumb) and crazy on-stage characters he created for himself. On match days he would find a historic figure whose date of birth fell on that day and pretend to be them during the match and in interviews.

That wouldn't be a bad gig for Sandow honestly. 

No way would they eliminate the roman numerals from the poster and just go with a goofy star......right?

I am assuming the sarcasm is just not translating but just in case.

They dumped the roman numerals because Vince felt it made everything feel "old"

This year had the big play button instead of roman numerals

No way would they eliminate the roman numerals from the poster and just go with a goofy star......right?

I am assuming the sarcasm is just not translating but just in case.

They dumped the roman numerals because Vince felt it made everything feel "old"

This year had the big play button instead of roman numerals

I know....and Vince is a moron.  Can't wait 'til the NFL stops using numerals for Super Bowls.