DVDVR Message Board

November 2015 Wrestling Discussion

OSJ

Happy Day of the Dead! Let us begin our November discourse by looking at how some things changed over the last few months...

Baron Corbin has become an Internet darling basically by doing the same stuff, just more of it.

Asuka is the brightest light in womens' wrestling in the US, ever! She's technically as sound as Akira Hokuto and a million times better connecting with the fans.

Have the Daniel Bryan fanboys finally given up? Is it time for Roman Reigns to be the Champ? Yeah, probably so... Although there's that Kane fella in the picture...

Whatcha got?

I feel like since it's Dia de los Muertes, someone should have started the thread with an appropriate lucha video. Not me, because I'll fuck it up and post something that doesn't capture the spirit (ha!) of the day, but you know, someone who knows lucha. 

Indie rasslin for November in my area:

-Friday 11/6: Pro Wrestling Epic in Brownstown, IL; World Powerhouse Wrestling in Jerseyville, IL
-Saturday 11/7: Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Fenton, MO; Mid-Missouri Wrestling Alliance in St. Louis, MO
-Friday 11/13: St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, IL
-Saturday 11/14: St. Louis Anarchy in Alton, IL; Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in Swansea, IL; World League Wrestling in Troy, MO
-Saturday 11/21: Dynamo Pro Wrestling in Wood River, IL; Southern Illinois Championship Wrestling in East Carondelet, IL
-Saturday 11/28: Dynamo Pro Wrestling in St. Louis, MO(Ready Room); Wrestling Invades America in Swansea, IL; World Powerhouse Wrestling in Collinsville, IL

Baron Corbin has become an Internet darling basically by doing the same stuff, just more of it.

I think you're oversimplifying things. Corbin is getting over because he's showing that he's capable of growing as a wrestler. He's putting in good work in longer matches (the Rhyno matches, the Joe matches, the Dusty Classic), and his anti-indy heel character is far more interesting than the bored babyface thing he was doing earlier.

Is there much footage out there of NWA cards from Maple Leaf Gardens?

Not a lot at least on YouTube. I looked for stuff last time i did the podcast with Marek but only found a handful of matches.

I came cross Dory vs Abdullah from MLG the other day, and it was so weird seeing the NWA ring apron and the entrance ramp after basically only ever seeing WWF stuff at the Gardens. Would be cool if more found its way onto YouTube.

This isn't the best thread for this since it's more of a fixed thing and this is transitory but fine-upstanding PWO poster Elliott, for his 31st birthday, has set up a Satanico playlist that's going to go all night and people are currently watching it over at this link: http://taima.tv/r/happybirthday

It's a fun little set up. And a good place for people who have had a hard time getting into lucha since watching it digitally with others help. Im here for another hour or two, is the plan, because Satanico's the best. Stop on by.

• Like 2