DVDVR Message Board

November 2015 Wrestling Discussion

OSJ

How often has the world title changed hands on Raw?  Foley's first title win and Ziggler winning the MITB cash-in against Del Rio are the only ones that immediately come to mind.

Off the top of my head

- Triple H's first win in August of 1999

- Triple H's third win in January of 2000

- Rey Mysterio winning the WWE Championship tournament

- John Cena defeating Rey Mysterio after the aforementioned tournament

I'm probably missing something REALLY obvious

Ziggler cashing in on Del Rio was on RAW, IIRC.

Here's a random thought that came into my head that I'm ineffectively going to put down here.

once taker retires, do you think he'll be drawn towards the performance centre by the higher ups in a vain attempt to train some of the new breed of big lads coming through the system?

Or do you reckon he's going to cut all ties, say fuck it and retire to become a grizzled old "get off my lawn" type dude?

I think he'll serve a similar function as HBK. He'll show up on TV occasionally or stop by the performance center for a pep talk, but he's not going to be invested in creative or development. It'll just be doing favors from time to time.

How do all these indy dudes like the Young Bucks perform crazy moves every night and never injure themselves?  Guys who work a more grounded style tear something and are out for a year.

They probably work through some pretty fucked up injuries and are incredibly broken down. Daniel Bryan is somewhat an example of how the indy style really wears you down. 

How do all these indy dudes like the Young Bucks perform crazy moves every night and never injure themselves?  Guys who work a more grounded style tear something and are out for a year.

To be fair - a lot of them seem to be really flexible guys and I know RVD seems to have escaped a bunch of injuries just for that reason

I am not saying that is the reason - just a possible theory

I've always assumed it has a lot to do with the schedule. When they're in the States, the Bucks are just working weekends. They work several days a week in NJPW, but tours are relatively short. How many nights a year is Cesaro not working a show? Factor in constant travel and odd sleeping hours, workouts in the weight room before shows, etc.

I've never made an effort to compare but does how many indy guys work as many shows or travel as much as virtually everyone in the WWE.

• Like 1

They probably work through some pretty fucked up injuries and are incredibly broken down. Daniel Bryan is somewhat an example of how the indy style really wears you down. 

LOL  please school us on this "indy style" and explain how Danielson and the Bucks' styles are similar.  Never seen the Bucks run headfirst into an opponent's head and never saw Danielson do a handspring backrake.

I always thought the WWE injury rate was just a function of how many matches they have. I could be wrong, but don't indy guys do maybe 2 shows a week at most, and in Japan they're doing month on/month off, whereas WWE does 2-3 tv shows a week plus multiple house shows throughout the year? In addition to the general wear and tear with no recovery time, the chances of a fluke injury are higher just as a matter of volume.

You look at guy like Seth Rollins working that schedule plus being Mr. Double Duty on Raw for like 2 years straight, and you have to consider him insanely lucky he lasted as long as he did. Bryan was Mr. Double Duty before Rollins and while he racked some notable injuries on the indies, he didn't seem to get the "injury prone" label until he was working the WWE schedule with a higher volume of less strenuous matches.

Dunno if anyone posted this, but Cesaro confirmed the injury and speculated he would be out 4-6 months.

Cesaro thought he had a minor injury and that his doctor's visit would give him some treatment options (Rehab etc.)

Exactly. I got the MRI done and was like, “Okay, cool, this will help me with how to rehab and get back to full strength.” But then I got the call the next day saying, “Hey, you tore a tendon and partially tore another one.” [Laughs]
It’s pretty much up in the air, and I don’t want to be quoted on a timeframe. I think the official timeframe I was told was like four to six months, but that all depends on how surgery goes, how my rehab goes and so forth.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/cesaro-injured-interview

To be fair - a lot of them seem to be really flexible guys and I know RVD seems to have escaped a bunch of injuries just for that reason

I am not saying that is the reason - just a possible theory

I swear RVD talked about how his 40 minute pre match stretch routine is what has kept him relatively injury free.

Yikes.  What is with all the wrestling injuries in 2015?  They better put Reigns and Owens in bubble wrap.

Kidd,Bryan,Orton, Jey Uso, Rusev,Lana,Zayn, Itami, Seth,and now Cesaro. 2015 has definitely been the worst year for injuries, in recent memory.