DVDVR Message Board

EVOLVE Thread

RIPPA

On 8/18/2018 at 9:59 PM, hammerva said:

Bro  ?

The only way that would get the waterworks going even more is if the video were set to this:

Or this

Honorable mention to the Funeral by Band of Horses.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cyanide said:

Matches announced for the Joppa show in a few weeks:

Reveal hidden contents

WWN Championship No DQ Match
Joey Janela with Penelope Ford defends vs. Austin Theory with Priscilla Kelly

Special Challenge Match
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Chris Dickinson vs. AR Fox with The Skulk

There Must Be A Winner
Jon Davis vs. Josh Briggs

Special Attraction Match
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Jaka vs. Trey Miguel

Darby, the WorkHorsemen, and Kincaid still to be announced on the card, but woof is that a hollowed-out roster post-Riddle/Keith/ZSJ/the attrition of Catch Point. Especially sans Shane Strickland and/or a special attraction like WALTER.

Joppa, Maryland?  That's like forty minutes from my house.

WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY TELL ME ABOUT THESE THINGS~???

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Joppa, Maryland?  That's like forty minutes from my house.

WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY TELL ME ABOUT THESE THINGS~???

FWIW I've been telling you about events in Jopps for MCW.  They're running at the same place.

And they have a couple weeks but they really need to get somebody like Lawlor in on this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

FWIW I've been telling you about events in Jopps for MCW.  

Oh, I know you always hook me up with MCW dates.  :)

The problem there is that they always seem to run shows on the weekends where I either have to work over the weekend or have other family shit going on.

• Like 1

My guess is MLW and EVOLVE are mutually exclusive in terms of contracts. Filthy even said recently that his MLW deal allows him to work almost anywhere. Are there any wrestlers working for both EVOLVE and MLW? 

And yeah--on one hand I don't want to come down on them too hard because they've had a lot of turnover and seem to be resetting a lot of story with the last few shows.

But on the other... it's a premium indie ticket price for what really isn't a premium indie card right now.  I'd think if anything they could lean a little harder on the NXT relationship and spring someone from the Florida loop for the weekend or something for situations like this.

It has me thinking I'd be better off trying to make it to NOVA Pro on Friday for an at least as fun (if not more) card for almost half the price.

18 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

My guess is MLW and EVOLVE are mutually exclusive in terms of contracts. Filthy even said recently that his MLW deal allows him to work almost anywhere. Are there any wrestlers working for both EVOLVE and MLW? 

Fred Yehi participated in the #1 Contender Battle Royale for the MLW Heavyweight championship.

Tom Lawlor won that match.

Other than WALTER and Allin, I really don't give two shits about evolve these days. If their audiences didn't almost always seem like they're forced to be there, I would change my tune but the atmosphere is dog shit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, shit, now my interest in the show went up exponentially!  I was wondering what you were referring to in the general thread, but now that you mention it I would be thrilled to see him against Janela.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Dream's opponents are Theory in Joppa and Allin in Queens

I guess those 2 are on their way to NXT...

On 8/22/2018 at 11:20 AM, Cyanide said:

I'd think if anything they could lean a little harder on the NXT relationship and spring someone from the Florida loop for the weekend or something for situations like this.

Huh!  Clearly Gabe and Paul are listening to me...

But that is a much more interesting show now.  Curious/kinda confused on who gets a match with Janela in Joppa now, if they are pulling Theory out of the WWN title shot to match up with Dream.

I think Darby has been close to signing for a while now. I wished he caught on in Mexico and became Vampiro 2.0 in terms of adoration. I can't imagine Vince McMahon booking the Darby Allin character. 

Gabe Sapolsky tweeted about Velveteen Dream working EVOLVE 112 in Joppa, Maryland on September 7 and EVOLVE 113 in Queens, New York on September 8: “Dream was requested by us because of his history at the MCW Arena in Joppa, MD. We wanted a homecoming. He was then asked to do Queens, to give the fans something special at La Boom. Dream was not ‘sent’ by anyone, he agreed and wanted to. This is WWE helping the independent wrestling scene. This is WWE, EVOLVE and Velveteen Dream giving fans a unique, memorable and exciting experience. This is what is good for our business. Thank you.”

• Like 1

Updated Joppa card now:

Spoiler

The Main Event – Exclusive Experience For The Live Crowd
The Velveteen Dream vs. Austin Theory with Priscilla Kelly

WWN Championship Match
Joey Janela with Penelope Ford vs. AR Fox with The Skulk

Grudge Match
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Chris Dickinson vs. Josh Briggs

Special Attraction Match
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Jaka vs. Trey Miguel

SHINE Four Way Freestyle
Priscilla Kelly vs. Kiera Hogan vs. Dementia D’Rose vs. Aja Perera

Special Challenge Match #1
Darby Allin vs. Anthony Henry

Special Challenge Match #2
JD Drake vs. Harlem Bravado

Special Challenge Match #3
Tracy Williams vs. Jon Davis

Tag Team Attraction
Jason Kincaid & Facade vs. WWN Seminar/Tryout Winners

Janela/Fox is a big improvement to me (as opposed to vs Theory and vs Dickinson, respectively), Dream of course, and Allin/Henry should be dope. Think they got me back in now.

Bullet points from last night:

Darby Allin is the fucking truth and maybe a top 10 guy on the planet I'd pay money to see. Banger with Anthony Henry, but I'd watch him work a broomstick these days.

Surprisingly, Drake/Bravado also topped my favorite matches of the night. Equal parts character work and physicality, played to a T.

Dream was predictably amazing, especially working full-on babyface with Theory. Very good match that wouldn't be out of place in NXT, which Dream played up in his post-match promo. Came off as a super sweet and appreciative guy for all the success he's had so early in his career.

• Like 3

I haven't checked but I'm certain Dream's match in Joppa wasn't shown on WWNLive.  If that's the case that kind of bums me out since I couldn't go.  I'm glad he was able to work the weekend and it's no surprise he was the babyface in his hometown.  But while a little cocky I'm glad to see the success he's been having.