DVDVR Message Board

EVOLVE Thread

RIPPA

On 6/8/2018 at 8:02 PM, Oyaji said:

Did they ever book WALTER vs. Darby Allin again?

yup, it's in two weeks in Queens and I'm quite excited for it.

Also, main-eventing that show is Matt Riddle/Shane Strickland, and I highly recommend their match from Evolve 104 if you get a chance to watch it. Strickland just decides to be a huge asshole and wrecks Riddle's arm, forcing Riddle to wrestle from underneath with one arm and it's really great.

• Like 1

To make it clear - EVOLVE 106 is no longer at La Boom

June 13th: We are forced to move EVOLVE 106 on June 23rd out of La Boom in Queens, NY. The event will now take place at:

Most Precious Blood Youth Center
2739 Harway Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11214 

Here's some notes:

-If you bought tickets for EVOLVE 106, they will be honored at the door. If you had stage tickets, they will now be ringside tickets.

-The belltime of EVOLVE 106 has been moved to 8pm.

-If you cannot attend due to the venue change, you can email [email protected] about a refund.

-TicketFly.com and WWNLive.com will be updated later today to reflect the venue change.

We apologize for this venue change, but it is beyond our control. We hope you will support EVOLVE at the new location in Brooklyn. We have made some lineup changes to make this card even bigger and better!

Oh and to go with the Janela tweets

It will be Austin Theory with Priscilla Kelly vs. Joey Janela with Penelope Ford for the WWN Championship at EVOLVE 106 in Brooklyn, NY one week from this Saturday! We never thought we'd see the day when WWN would rather have Joey Janela as a champion rather than Austin Theory.

• 2 weeks later...

First show in EVOLVE and Janela is now the WWN Live champion.   Granted the championship hasn't been as strong as it was intended but great to see Joey as an already top guy

As weird as it seems, Janela is easily the hottest draw in WWNLive.   Maybe for the last 2 years. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Walter/Darby and damn I loved that match. Walter is just this slab of unrelenting pain and Allen is a wild scrawny street dog fighting for the last scrap of food in the dumpster. Tremendous body part work and selling, hard hitting shots, Darby with his innovative offense and willingness to get beaten to a pulp. Great stuff. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Edwin

I haven't watched the last 3 EVOLVE events (just finished 104 last night, go watch Riddle/Strickland if you haven't, it's good and very different from their MLW match earlier this year, rest is skippable), but it seems Riddle is still the champ. With the rumors he's signed and expected to be in NXT by next month, I'm guessing he has to drop the title at one of the upcoming events.

They said he's still scheduled to appear at all the upcoming August EVOLVE events, but he wouldn't be appearing on any events in September due to personal commitments which pretty much confirm he's done with them next month. He has 2 more possible title matches lined up -- one with Strickland and if he retains, one with Darby. Given how the match from 104 ended with Strickland and the angle they seem to be taking with him (and him having dropped the MLW title to Low Ki), I could see them going that way.

Guest Edwin

I'll echo the love for Darby Allin vs. WALTER. On paper it's the perfect big bully vs. undersized underdog and in practice it delivered that exactly. Loved the commentary. Thought they did a great job at recapping Darby's story as he fights back with Darby's homeless struggle and paying for a Planet Fitness membership just so he could take a shower. So many good things here -- WALTER putting a beating on Darby, WALTER tossing Darby around like a ragdoll, Darby's comeback, Darby ground headbutting WALTER's hurt hand, the unexpected finish, WALTER big booting Darby post match, but Darby smiling either way because he pulled it off, etc. Easily my second or third non WWE match this year along with WALTER vs. Thatcher from PROGRESS and Riddle vs. Ospreay from the WWN Supershow. Must watch.

Guest Edwin

EVOLVE 106 is a really fun show overall. Briggs/Bad Bones, David/Jarek, the Skulk match, Catch Point vs. Thatcher, Hot Sauce and Henry, Janela vs. Theory and Riddle vs. Strickland were all entertaining. The crowd was pretty lively which seems like a rarity in EVOLVE, too. As I mentioned in my previous post, Darby vs. WALTER was great and easily MOTN by a long shot.

The Skulk are EVOLVE's Special K and they really compliment Fox. Their match was a fun fast paced Jr.'s match, so if you like their act and that type of match, then you'll get a kick out of their match. I'd be surprised if they weren't booked in PWG soon.

kBelqj4.gif

14uHXov.gif

Guest Edwin

Not trying to spam the thread, but I just finished watching EVOLVE 108 and here's some thoughts on the main event which was MOTN that I posted on PWO:

EVOLVE has been building towards this match since Strickland returned to the company. Strickland is such a great heel in EVOLVE and Riddle is of course the fired up babyface the fans love and they play their roles perfectly. Leading to the match, Strickland had targeted Riddle's arm and he had broken Riddle mentally with his mind games and Riddle lets anger take over and that backfires throughout the match and Strickland uses this to exploit Riddle's weaknesses throughout the match.

Some of the cool stuff from this match include Strickland hitting a running Swerve Stomp from the ramp on Riddle sitting in a chair in front of Riddle's family. Riddle's chops are great as always. Also, to the benefit of the match, Riddle cuts his hand which adds to the backstory of the match and Strickland exploits it. Riddle's selling is also pretty great throughout the majority of the match. There's some pretty big table bumps here like Riddle hitting a senton off the ring apron through a table and of course a big Swerve Stomp off a ladder through a table on Riddle. The finishing stretch was also good with Riddle getting one last boost of adrenaline before Strickland puts him down with a JML Driver. Loved Riddle just barely bridging out of the last nearfall before the finish as he was already worn out instead of just popping straight up with a power kickout.

Some things of course didn't work, such as them going into overkill with one too many Swerve Stomps throughout the match and the downtime while Swever setup for some weapon assisted spots, but to their credit, Riddle's selling was good in between the setups.

Again, not a MOTYC or a ****+ classic or any of that, but definitely another solid/entertaining match from these two and well worth watching if you dig any of their previous matches. From the matches of theirs I've seen, I'd rank them in this order:

1. MLW world title tournament final
  2. This match
  3. The first EVOLVE match
  4. Their second EVOLVE match

I would rank the MLW match ahead of this one because I was there live, so of course I have a different perspective on that one as it was great to experience that live.

Matches announced for the Joppa show in a few weeks:

Spoiler

WWN Championship No DQ Match
Joey Janela with Penelope Ford defends vs. Austin Theory with Priscilla Kelly

Special Challenge Match
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Chris Dickinson vs. AR Fox with The Skulk

There Must Be A Winner
Jon Davis vs. Josh Briggs

Special Attraction Match
EVOLVE Tag Team Champion Jaka vs. Trey Miguel

Darby, the WorkHorsemen, and Kincaid still to be announced on the card, but woof is that a hollowed-out roster post-Riddle/Keith/ZSJ/the attrition of Catch Point. Especially sans Shane Strickland and/or a special attraction like WALTER.

• Like 2