DVDVR Message Board

EVOLVE Thread

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, NickMD said:

Hey, Rippa, feel like stopping by?  I know you were thinking about it earlier, should be worth the drive.

I got to much shit going on to make it to Joppa

If I go anywhere it will be NOVA Pro Wrestling since they are running a show like 5 minutes from work

Sabre Jr-Hero was pretty damn marvellous, wasn't it? I think I could have watched a full hour of that. The whole show was really good as well, I enjoyed Riddle vs. Nese and Gargano-Scurll tons, and thought Lio Rush looked terrific in the opener. I think Evolve might legitimately be my favourite promotion in the world at the moment

• Like 1

Yeah, that main event was wonderful.  Can't wait to watch it back on the replay.  Huge fan of Lio Rush so I was super happy he got some love there, hope they use him more.  Loved the Catch Point tag title match also.  I feel bad for Drew though, he has that TNA stink to me now.  He was a fine heel but I couldn't care less about the guy.  Marty Scurll on the other hand was a fantastic villain, really enjoyed his match.  I got annoyed with the crowd acting like jackasses though.

Joppa, MD is not the place you would associate with indy wrestling.  It has MCW which is fun, but with an over-reliance on legends doing fuck all and the people that normally go there it doesn't exactly seem like the a place for Evolve.  Yet to my pleasant surprise not only was the place full of people but when they got into the action it was great.  Still in shock they would go to Joppa of all places.  It was cool catching up with my old friend Trevin, and the wrestlers were cool as hell to meet.

Oh, and there's this  :D

Well reading the results so far on Twitter,  it looks like another company is getting involved in EVOLVE.  Or at least their top star as EC3 did a run-in in the main event helping Drew Galloway.  Then cut a shoot promo shitting on WWE and NXT.

So yes an indy that is basically supported by the WWE has a faction of TNA stars as their top heel group.  Assuming that he wasn't just a one time thing.   All we need now is the Young Bucks coming in under the ROH/New Japan flag and just make this completely nuts.  

Only in 2016 wrestling I guess 

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

Well reading the results so far on Twitter,  it looks like another company is getting involved in EVOLVE.  Or at least their top star as EC3 did a run-in in the main event helping Drew Galloway.  Then cut a shoot promo shitting on WWE and NXT.

So yes an indy that is basically supported by the WWE has a faction of TNA stars as their top heel group.  Assuming that he wasn't just a one time thing.   All we need now is the Young Bucks coming in under the ROH/New Japan flag and just make this completely nuts.  

Only in 2016 wrestling I guess 

This is nuts. Wrestling is really, really weird and surreal anymore. Just when I get used to the fact that so many great indy folks are in WWE/NXT this happens. Jeezus this crazy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

What the hell, they run wrestling at La Boom?  That's literally 2 blocks from my house.   @Pete I blame you for not telling me this. 

Wasn't aware I needed to tell you there's wrestling 2 blocks from your house, Brocephus. :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

What the hell, they run wrestling at La Boom?  That's literally 2 blocks from my house.   @Pete I blame you for not telling me this. 

I've only gone to one of the shows in La Boom and it's pretty fun. I went to a joint FTW(Fight the World)/Evolve show that included Jake Roberts and I had a blast. Queens has been holding a lot of shows between Evolve, Amazing Red's promotion House of Glory, House of Hardcore, etc. 

I thought Williams/Gulak was the best match from EVOLVE 60/61. I felt like it was obvious going in who WWE would want for the tournament but the match was so well worked that I was buying that the other guy might win.

I might be in the minority but I liked this Hero/ZSJ match better than Mercury Rising. Not entirely sure why, maybe it was because Hero toned down the volume of supposed knockout blows in this one. I don't know what it is about these two against each other that misses the mark for me because clearly most people LOVE their matches. I liked Hero/Yehi more than either Hero/ZSJ match.

The funniest thing about the whole ECIII angle to me is that if Vince were to somehow see this he'd probably fire someone for letting this guy go.

I'm with you on Hero going too far into the strike territory. Diminishing returns and all that. If he mixed those elbows and kicks in better with his grappling instead of going nearly pure striking later on in matches, they'd stand out more.

• Like 1

I'll need to watch the match back, but I thought live that Hero was going overboard with the strikes.  It at least seemed that way.  But it didn't necessarily take away from the match which I absolutely loved.  Hero vs. the smarks was highly amusing.  My favorite was when somebody chanted "Fight forever!" and he's on his knees just raising the finger in the air.

EVOLVE 62 - Ybor City, FL - June 10th
-EVOLVE Title Match: Timothy Thatcher defends vs. Chris Hero
-EVOLVE Tag Team Title Match: Drew Gulak & Tracy Williams defend vs. The Bravado Brothers
-Non-Sanctioned Fight: Johnny Gargano & TJP with Stokely Hathaway vs. Drew Galloway & EC3
-Matt Riddle vs. Cedric Alexander
-Plus more to be announced with Tony Nese, Fred Yehi, Ethan Page, Dary Allin and others!

EVOLVE 63 - Orlando, FL - June 11th
WWE Cruiserweight Flashpoint - A Prelude To The Tournament
-Elimination Match:  Johnny Gargano vs. Drew Gulak vs. TJP with Stokely Hathaway vs. Lince Dorado vs. ??? (more names to be added) 
-Anything Goes: Drew Galloway vs. Ethan Page
-Non-Sanctioned: Ethan Carter III has an open contract!
-Matt Riddle vs. Trevor Lee
-Plus more to be signed with EVOLVE Champion Timothy Thatcher, Tracy Williams, The Bravado Brothers, Cedric Alexander, Tony Nese, Fred Yehi, Darby Allin and others!

That second night is clearly going to turn into Thatcher challenging EC III, Carter goading him into a title fight, and winning the EVOLVE Title through shenanigans, or am I just too accustomed to how these things are booked elsewhere?

That's really a phenomenal video to sell a feud.  I've been out of the game on the indie scene, but I'd definitely like to check out EVOLVE next time they come through Maryland now.