DVDVR Message Board

EVOLVE Thread

RIPPA

We have an Evolve thread but it is buried and hasn't been used since like 11 months.

When the WWE agreement hit - we suddenly had Evolve discussion in like 4 threads. So this hopefully will make it a little easier.

And for those who didn't see - this was the WWE.com feature on 5 EVOLVE stars you need to know

If you believe Gabe, the whole thing is still very seat-of-the-pants and he doesn't know what to expect. Could be marketing to save face with the "indie and proud" crowd, but that doesn't seem to be much of a concern if the days of tweeting HHH quotes are any indication.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever happened to Ricochet working with them? He went from a regular to disappearing after last year's Mania weekend. I know AR Fox had his issues and quit over flights but why is Ricochet no longer here? Is it because Evolve made LU buy his contract or something?

EVOLVE is going to run a tag team tournament to crown Tag Champs

They are doing it Royal Rumble weekend as they have shows Friday-Sunday that weekend in Orlando (with Rumble being Sunday in Orlando too)

The 3 teams they announced so far

-Johnny Gargano & Drew Galloway

-Roppongi Vice of Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero
-The Premier Athlete Brand of Anthony Nese & Caleb Konley with So Cal Val

I'll be in town for the Rumble so will be in for all three shows. They made the Saturday show an afternoon-ish show and saying they are leaving time for people to get to a WWE event so I'm guessing they are assuming there could be an NXT show that night or they don't want to outright say they want to make sure they don't want to compete with ROH's iPPV that night (Or is the iPPV for ROH friday and they are competing, can't remember). Anyways, here is the press release:

TAMPA, FL- EVOLVE officially announced that the first-ever EVOLVE Tag Team Champions will be crowned in a three day tournament in Florida on January 22nd in Ybor City, January 23rd in Orlando and January 24th in Orlando. This is the same weekend that WWE will present The Royal Rumble in Orlando.

EVOLVE will kick off the tournament with opening round matches on Friday night in the Tampa area. The tournament will conclude with afternoon events on Saturday and Sunday in Orlando. The EVOLVE events in Orlando will have a special 2pm belltime so they will not go head-to-head with any WWE live events. The Orlando venue is right down the street from the location of The Royal Rumble. This means that fans can make the EVOLVE events a double header with WWE. Here is the show info:

EVOLVE 53
Friday, January 22nd, 2016
Bell Time - 9 PM
The Orpheum
1915 E. 7th Avenue
Ybor City, FL

EVOLVE 54
Saturday, January 23rd, 2016
Bell Time - 2 PM
Orlando Downtown Recreation Complex
363 North Parramore Avenue
Orlando, FL

EVOLVE 55
Sunday, January 24th, 2016
Bell Time - 2 PM
Orlando Downtown Recreation Complex
363 North Parramore Avenue
Orlando, FL

Tickets are now on sale in the DGUSA.tv Store or by calling 267-638-6583. There are ticket packages available. If you buy tickets to all three events, you will get a 15% discount. If you buy tickets to both Orlando events, you get a 10% discount. Reserved ringside seats also come with a merchandise credit. Please browse www.DGUSA.tv for all the info.

It could be a lesson that they learned from Summerslam weekend.  ROH might have had some more people if not for NXT.  And it definitely hurt JR's show, but that's not a wrestling show per se.  Either way, I consider it a smart move on their part.

It could be a lesson that they learned from Summerslam weekend.  ROH might have had some more people if not for NXT.  And it definitely hurt JR's show, but that's not a wrestling show per se.  Either way, I consider it a smart move on their part.

I was thinking that I would maybe drive down to Orlando if there was an NXT show that Saturday. I cannot take off of work for the Rumble after going to Survivor Series this weekend, so I really hope this proves to be the case.

You know on the subject of Evolve...I went to the Queens show a few weeks back and holy shit you guys, Peter Kaasa. He's a little short but he's built like Conan the Destroyer and he's probably the best flyer I've seen since PAC. And on top of that he has an amateur and MMA background so he can actually do that wrestling thing too. I implore you to check him out.

• 3 weeks later...

Gabe's long ass Facebook post about the Sabre/Strong match

I want to take this moment and thank both Zack Sabre Jr. and Roderick Strong for their match at EVOLVE 45. It's a match that almost didn't happen, and I owe Paul Heyman and CM Punk a nod for reminding me of something that resulted in it taking place.

It was just a few hours before I was set to get on a plane and go to Florida for EVOLVE 45 last July. I heard a text go off on my phone. If there's one true thing about booking, late night texts before a show are almost never good. I dread hearing that dinging sound meaning I have a text.

Of course, it wasn't good. Davey Richards had suffered a concussion in West Virginia and could not board a plane. It was awful he had been injured, but there was no debate on if he would make the EVOLVE weekend. Now that we have been educated about concussions, we know that there's no way Davey could get on a plane and then wrestle. It just would have been stupid.

We had lost Biff Busick to injury earlier in the week. We were running thin. I remembered a Paul Heyman lesson from back in the day. A lesson ECW was built on. Always try to give the fans something better when you have to make a substitution.

I started to play around with different lineups. I put something together, but it didn't quite feel right in my gut. Then I remembered back to a night that CM Punk's tag team partner didn't show up about 10 years ago. I was going to go with a lesser name as a substitution that night, but Punk turned to me and said "I remember you telling me to always give the fans the best substitution possible."

I didn't want to book Sabre Jr. vs. Strong last July. I wanted to save it, build it, give it a backstory. However, under the circumstances, it was time to go into hotshot mode. There weren't any top names available to bring in at the last minute. There was only one other choice- do the best match possible with the talent we had. That match was Sabre Jr. vs. Strong.

The rest is history. The two delivered not only one of the best matches in the history of the WWN Family, but an all time great match that I've ever seen including my time of going to WWF and NWA as a kid all the way through working in ECW, ROH, FIP, DGUSA, EVOLVE and WWN. When it was over, I was overwhelmed with a rare feeling that I had just experienced a special performance of true art. No words can really describe that feeling.

The next week Roddy told me he had signed with ROH and wouldn't be able to work for us anymore. While I was happy that Roddy got a deal that he wanted, I admit I was devastated that I wouldn't be able to book him again. I'm a fan of him in the ring. I love working with him behind-the-scenes. He gave us a great feud against Drew Galloway, and a tremendous run of matches ending with the best match he has had on any show I booked during our 10 year relationship. For that, I am truly grateful. It is really special to end things like that. It inspires me to be better in the future.

We have decided to give you this Sabre Jr. vs. Strong match for Cyber Monday. You surpassed our expectations with our Blu-ray sales at DGUSA.tv during Black Friday. We owe you one. We have extended the Black Friday sales at both DGUSA.tv and WWNLive.com until midnight EST tonight. We want to give back even more to you by putting the Sabre Jr. vs. Strong match online for free until midnight est. tonight. We want you to see it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. This will always be a very special match to me. I'm thankful everyday it happened in an EVOLVE ring.

• 1 month later...

Announced for Friday

EVOLVE Tag Team Title Tournament First Round Match

EVOLVE Champion Timothy Thatcher & Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Chris Hero & Tommy End

Caleb Konley & Anthony Nese with So Cal Val & Andrea vs. Harlem & Lancelot Bravado

Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero vs. Dan Barry & Bill Carr

Johnny Gargano & Drew Galloway vs. Drew Gulak & TJ Perkins

Style Battle Round Robin Singles Tournament Night 1 featuring: 
-Fred Yehi 
-Matt Riddle 
-Peter Kaasa 
-Tracy Williams

Bonus Match
PJ Black vs. Ethan Page