DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

I can't see Carlisle sticking around for the rebuild after Dirk. I know he did a great job here with the post-Grant Hill Pistons, but that was over a decade ago. I expect he leaves when Dirk does, spends a year in the booth, and then hooks up with another contender.

I'm SOOOOO hype for this Kings/Sixers game tonight!  The combination of good stats and bad basketball will be incredible to watch.  Daily fantasy is a blessing and a curse.  Do you know what the average ball handling guard does against the Kings defense?!?!?  Have you seen Boogie's stat lines against the Sixers!!!???!!!  AHHHH!

Edit: If even one more person was screwing around with NBA DFS I would probably make a separate daily fantasy thread, but it's just me as far as I can tell so y'all are going to have to deal with this shit here.

• Like 1

I can't see Carlisle sticking around for the rebuild after Dirk. I know he did a great job here with the post-Grant Hill Pistons, but that was over a decade ago. I expect he leaves when Dirk does, spends a year in the booth, and then hooks up with another contender.

He already signed a five year extension past the current contract. 

I'm honestly blown away by how well Zaza fit in.  I expected him to be solid, but never would I have dreamed that he would be a double-double machine, and frankly the glue of the team.

I was going through NBA.com's insane player tracking stats and Zaza is one of the top scorers in the league in points off of cuts. Dude just has a knack for getting open, receiving a pass, and finishing. He's third or fourth from memory.

The top guy in the league in that department is Brook Lopez. Guys like DeAndre and Drummond and a few Warriors are on the list, too.

I'm talking bout that man JIMMY BUTLER!

What a 2nd half for a guy who really didn't have his shot tonight. Jimmy willed a win in this one.

Fred drew up a great play there at the end. They faked the pass to Jimmy in the corner to set up the back door cut. He is starting to win me over.

Ish Smith making the Sixers an actual NBA team is the single weirdest basketball development in memory. Like, him and Nerlens just constantly connect on passes together. How?

On another note: Nik Stauskas might be the single worst NBA player I have ever seen. He is spectacularly bad at professional basketball.

I swear this will be my only moment of bragging about DFS (today), but I've paired Nerlens and Ish together all 3 of the ISH ERA games.  Their salaries and ownership %'s keep rising so I will have to jump off the train soon, but it's been nice to be in on the ground floor.  40% of the field played ISH last night compared to 10% and 20% in the prior two games, which is a crazy high %, but the DFS crowd has been a little slower on Nerlens (4% 10% 18% in the last 3).

It's funny how playing Nerlens Noel in his proper position turns him back into a legit NBA talent.  That, as much as ISH, is the reason for the turn around.  Ish obviously helps the matter, but holy hell is it night and day with Nerlens at the 5.  His hands are so active defending the post.  He looks to be getting stronger as well.  Dude was bullying Boogie around for stretches (including that obviously horrible call that fouled Boogie out.)

They pretty much wasted the first quarter of this season when they should have already been in prime time development mode.  Few players have been used worse than Nerlens over the last few months.  I don't know if that's on Brett Brown or was it some higher up call to develop Okafor at the 5?  Anyways, it's good to have some actual basketball minds back in the organization.  It's also nice to see Hinkie being exposed as the fraud that he is!

The Sixers Reddit people and commenters on Liberty Ballers are now hailing this as Sam's greatest masterstroke. Why? Because he no doubt knew that getting just one PG who can pass the ball would unlock this team, and he avoided doing that for the first 1/4th of the season intentionally to get lottery balls. But now it's time to build! (Completely overlooking the fact that this strategy essentially resulted in the league intervening and giving him a supervisor.)

• Like 1

Also, last night was a pretty good indicator of why I shy away from the "Draymond is a top 10 guy" talk.  I love me some Draymond, but dude is used to catching the ball at the top of the key with the defense already broken.  Funny how things change without an otherworldly force sucking multiple defenders out past the 3 point line.  Although I don't rank Draymond that high, I still think he is a monster who plays the game in a completely unique way.

Can't say the same for Klay, though.  That dude is pretty much a 3 and D guy who gets REALLY hot sometimes.  I can't even imagine the dip in his stats if Curry missed an extended period of time.  When people try to argue that Klay is in the top tier of SG's I just do this:  

giphy.gif

Where to rank him though is an interesting conversation.  Harden is obviously in a tier of his own, but Klay is nowhere near Jimmy Butler's level either.  Is he better than guys who can't shoot as well, but can get their own shot like Derozan or Old Man Wade?  Is he better than CJ McCollum?  I would lean towards yes because of his defense, but even that might be overrated considering he is rarely guarding the opposing teams best wing.

The Sixers Reddit people and commenters on Liberty Ballers are now hailing this as Sam's greatest masterstroke. Why? Because he no doubt knew that getting just one PG who can pass the ball would unlock this team, and he avoided doing that for the first 1/4th of the season intentionally to get lottery balls. But now it's time to build! (Completely overlooking the fact that this strategy essentially resulted in the league intervening and giving him a supervisor.)

Just checked out the Sixers sub and holy hell it's like a cult over there!  It's really amazing to me that there are still Hinkie Stans 3 years in.  Spreadsheet guys just REALLY wanting a spreadsheet guy to be right, I guess?  Completely ignoring player development and culture in the hopes of finding just the right guy is such an absurd strategy. Hinkie spent so much time looking for his Kevin Durant that he apparently missed the lessons being taught in San Antonio or Chicago.  Where would Kawhi be without a great system and a bunch of smart vets?  Where would Butler be without Deng and Thibs?

There is that saying, "can't see the forest for the trees".  Hinkie can see the forest alright, he just doesn't understand the role water and sunlight played on how it came to be. 

Also, last night was a pretty good indicator of why I shy away from the "Draymond is a top 10 guy" talk.  I love me some Draymond, but dude is used to catching the ball at the top of the key with the defense already broken.  Funny how things change without an otherworldly force sucking multiple defenders out past the 3 point line.  Although I don't rank Draymond that high, I still think he is a monster who plays the game in a completely unique way.

Can't say the same for Klay, though.  That dude is pretty much a 3 and D guy who gets REALLY hot sometimes.  I can't even imagine the dip in his stats if Curry missed an extended period of time.  When people try to argue that Klay is in the top tier of SG's I just do this:  

giphy.gif

Where to rank him though is an interesting conversation.  Harden is obviously in a tier of his own, but Klay is nowhere near Jimmy Butler's level either.  Is he better than guys who can't shoot as well, but can get their own shot like Derozan or Old Man Wade?  Is he better than CJ McCollum?  I would lean towards yes because of his defense, but even that might be overrated considering he is rarely guarding the opposing teams best wing.

The Warriors switch on EVERYONE though. It's not just Draymond who guards 1-5 on that team. Klay's a huge part of that because of his length. I'll look up his drives and interior numbers later. But it's either Klay or Butler for being the second best SG in the league. There's a huge drop off after that. Klay is really friggin' good.

But Curry really just makes everything in basketball a funhouse mirror. Everything involving his game and team is just a warped distortion of what we thought we knew about basketball.

Living in Philly, I end up watching a ton of 76ers games. What they were letting Noel do at the beginning of the year was actively harmful to him and borderline criminal. It's like someone in the organization was like "You know all that point center stuff that actively ruined Ralph Sampson's career? We should show Nerlens a youtube highlight clip and tell him to go nuts".

• Like 1

Just checked out the Sixers sub and holy hell it's like a cult over there!  It's really amazing to me that there are still Hinkie Stans 3 years in.  Spreadsheet guys just REALLY wanting a spreadsheet guy to be right, I guess?  Completely ignoring player development and culture in the hopes of finding just the right guy is such an absurd strategy. Hinkie spent so much time looking for his Kevin Durant that he apparently missed the lessons being taught in San Antonio or Chicago.  Where would Kawhi be without a great system and a bunch of smart vets?  Where would Butler be without Deng and Thibs?

There is that saying, "can't see the forest for the trees".  Hinkie can see the forest alright, he just doesn't understand the role water and sunlight played on how it came to be. 

I consider myself a spreadsheet fan. But it's just that there are so many different ways to interpret spreadsheet data and figure it out from there. What TANK! people don't get:

1) You don't need to have the number one pick to end up with the NBA championship. Out of the 15 All-NBA players last year, only five were number one picks. It certainly helps to have a LeBron or AD to build around. No fucking shit. But building block guys do fall through the cracks and other people just blossom a little bit after they're 20 years old once put in a professional atmosphere with player development.

Having as many ping pong balls as possible to get the best players for the first part of their careers makes the most sense. Hinkie's done great accruing all of those ping pong balls. But turning them into actual NBA players is another thing entirely.

2) The best teams in the league also have guys like Patty Mills or Festuz Ezili or Delladova or any other number of rotation guys. There's no rule on when you get the "spare parts" to fit around the cornerstone talent. And having as many good spare parts guys might help get cornerstone talent if a FA thinks your team is an actual franchise and/or trade bait. Legit, Hinkie's really not done anything in that department. Robert Covington came crashing down to earth. Jerami Grant might be something but he's 21 and shoots under 20% from deep. Ish Smith was his best find and he tossed him to the wayside until actual grown ups brought him back.