DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

1-30. I want promotion-relegation in the NBA at this point because what is happening in Philly right now is a travesty. At the thing with Scott O'Neill I went to he basically said he didn't want to ruin the process by bringing in competent NBA players. Highlight was some older dude whose had tickets since the 70's ripping him a new asshole. Also of note was O'Neill crying about how unfair the press was, in particular the report by Forbes on the owners supposedly wanting to flip the team.

• Like 2

Kobe's first half last night was a thing of beauty. He was guarding Durant on one end and weaving passes around defenders on the other.... Only to receive shitty help defense and watch his passes bounce off these bum's hands. He shot really well in the 2nd quarter and brought them back in a game that looked over in the first 5 minutes.

And then that 2nd half happened. The bums couldn't even pass to Kobe without turning the ball over and all the sudden it's a 20-0 run. At which point Kobe has to start shooting obviously, only his legs are gone from chasing Durant around all game.. So by the time he finally checks out late in the 3rd, the stat sheet watchers are cracking jokes at his %. When in reality he was the only competent dude on the team last night.

I'm starting to feel bad for Kobe.

You shouldn't.

In other news, Markieff Morris continues to sabotage his career. This time he threw a towel at Hornacek and the Suns suspended a pair of games.

Those Christmas jerseys we'll see tomorrow are mint!

That Kawhi Leonard delivery! And they even get Christmas socks!

Christmas_Day_Jersey_2015_Derrick_Rose_L

Sixers just reacquired Ish Smith from the Pelicans for two second round picks. And they waived Tony Wroten, the name best equipped to pronounce in a Philly accent.

How I think it went down:

Colangelo: So, Brett, what do you think we can do to improve the team so they're not 1-30?

Brett: I think we could use a veteran point guard. Someone like Ish Smith. I liked coaching him last year. He's a nice guy and can dribble the ball without it ending in the third row.

Colangelo: Why don't we just get Ish Smith? Hey, Sam, don't we have a bunch of second round picks?

(Hinkie just stares straight ahead nodding.)

• Like 4

Sixers just reacquired Ish Smith from the Pelicans for two second round picks. And they waived Tony Wroten, the name best equipped to pronounce in a Philly accent.

How I think it went down:

Colangelo: So, Brett, what do you think we can do to improve the team so they're not 1-30?

Brett: I think we could use a veteran point guard. Someone like Ish Smith. I liked coaching him last year. He's a nice guy and can dribble the ball without it ending in the third row.

Colangelo: Why don't we just get Ish Smith? Hey, Sam, don't we have a bunch of second round picks?

(Hinkie just stares straight ahead nodding.)

Poor Hinkie . Colangelo is giving away his picks

I'm pretty sure every single game was under the Vegas line. Is that just coincidence or did all these guys ramp up the defense because they knew how many people were watching?  

Rocket's especially looked REALLY good on defense.  I don't think the Spurs laid an egg, they just got beat by a team that could be really good.

Visiting my folks and took my dad to go see Heat/Magic in Orlando. This was a fun game.

The Magic entrance is insane. They legitimately warned people who have epilepsy and similar issues to take precautions before the game. It was some crazy light show. The Amway Center was sort of a shit show getting in. I-4 in Central Florida is the worst and there were all these roads blocked off. We ended up parking in some bootleg parking lot some dudes set up behind their garage. Then you can only go in certain entrances depending on your ticket. The arena itself was really nice and they had pretty good tacos.

This was a really fun game. My dad somehow hasn't been to a NBA game since he was in high school. This boggled my mind and then I remembered that, no, we never went to a Nets game when they still played at the Meadowlands somehow. We went to a bunch of Seton Hall games but never a NBA game.

I always forget how good Chris Bosh is. He is never in the wrong spot on the court. Wade was great because he was just in a very easygoing gear for 3.5 quarters and flipped a switch down late and was unstoppable, especially when he went to the post. Orlando has a feisty team. Vuc is really good. Oladipo as a sixth man is a great move because he can just fire away as he sees fit. I also love Payton. Kid has some major balls on him and went toe-to-toe against Wade down the stretch.

Sounds like the Suns and Kings are both imploding.  Phoenix fired 2 assistants and Hornacek is probably next.  Kieff Morris has been suspended and teams are demanding assets to take him off of their hands.  Bledsoe is out until at least the all-star break.  Phoenix has had such a weird arc the past couple of years, being good when they weren't supposed to be and shitting the bed when they were supposed to be good.  With this roster they're probably, at best, a mid second-tier Western Conference team so complete teardown is probably in the works.

Meanwhile George Karl ended his press conference after their loss to the Blazers early with "I'm done.  I'm frustrated." and Cousins and Rondo both skipped out of the arena without talking to the media.  So Kings gonna Kings.

Zach Lowe had an interesting Suns-ish point during his podcast with Adam Silver. Apparently, a lot of people think Miami did a huge tamper job in obtaining Goran last season. That might have explained why the Three Headed Monster may have failed more than anything. Riley or whoever reached out and said they'd sign Goran who could get a bigger deal if he was already on the team. Hence Goran complaining about his role on a pretty solid team. There may have been a bad fit with Thomas but that team really was fine and a lot of players have said they didn't detect any real on court problems.

It's a shame. That Suns team was one of the more entertaining non-playoff teams in memory. The Darius Miles-era Clippers might have that honor.

I just decided to take a look at the conference standings for the first time, and fuck me the West is kind of a mess right now.  Only 6 teams above .500, and there is a severe drop after OKC.  On the other hand, the 8th seed in the East has the same record as the 5th seed in the West.  And there a couple of good teams on the outside looking in.  Such a weird season with teams that were supposed to be good shitting the bed, and teams that were supposed to be bad exceeding expectations.

Zach Lowe had an interesting Suns-ish point during his podcast with Adam Silver. Apparently, a lot of people think Miami did a huge tamper job in obtaining Goran last season. That might have explained why the Three Headed Monster may have failed more than anything. Riley or whoever reached out and said they'd sign Goran who could get a bigger deal if he was already on the team. Hence Goran complaining about his role on a pretty solid team. There may have been a bad fit with Thomas but that team really was fine and a lot of players have said they didn't detect any real on court problems.

It's a shame. That Suns team was one of the more entertaining non-playoff teams in memory. The Darius Miles-era Clippers might have that honor.

I never held ill will against the Heat, even as a Clevelander, but how many times has Riley been accused of tampering at this point with absolutely nothing coming of it? It's pretty astounding at this point. I'm not saying he did it, or that it taints his legacy in anyway, but I feel like basically every GM, reporter and owner has at least implied that Riles blurs the lines a little too much.

• Like 1