DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Kobe's final trip to a city where one of the what stretches of his career happened, Detroit Rock City, home of where the Lakers lost three straight in one of the biggest upsets in finals history!

See, the Kobe Bean Bryant retirement tour can be fun.

Continuing my "Andre Drummond is really fucking good" stats post, he had his 12th game of 15-15 or better so far this year in ruining this stop on the Kobe Bryant retirement tour.

Anthony Davis has the second most such games, with four.

Shakeup in Philly! Jerry Colangelo was just named to some advisory/chairman position. Hinkie supposedly has final decision making power but who knows. Supposedly Colangelo's hire was there to have a well-trusted executive soothe things over with agents and the media.

Woj is reporting Brett Brown is about to get an extension.

Poor Sixers. Management has made them an embarrassment and these kids are out of their league. In the first half, Spurs held them to 29 points and dropped 65 on them... without Kawhi, Duncan or Ginobili. LaMArcus Alrdidge with his first real great half of the year with 20 points and 9 rebounds in the first half. 

Although it does help to remember that what the Spurs did tonight was only one point more than GSW best the Grizzlies by earlier this year.

Sometimes a total anomaly will happen. The Grizzlies had an awful, awful night against a historically good team. And once you get to garbage time, the games become even more variable. The Grizzlies gave GSW fits last year in the playoffs. They just had as bad a night possible.

This Sixers game was just the absolute nadir. The Spurs didn't play Leonard, Duncan or Manu. It's weird because the Sixers still ran sets and played hard, right until the end of the game. They're not like your usual NBA trash team -- hello, Lakers, Nets -- where players just go for their own in situations like that. The Sixers didn't do that, which is a good thing to see. But trying to see Jakarr Sampson defend slip-and-picks from Danny Green... Nope. It just doesn't work.

I really turned on The Process on Saturday. I've watched almost every Sixers game this season. The whole "two players who don't work well together and a bunch of D-Leaguers" claim is nonsense. Okafor and Noel can both play, but they haven't even played 20 games together when you factor in injuries (and suspensions). A partnership takes time. Covington's a solid three-and-D guy (and the best player on the Sixers right now) and could be in a playoff rotation. Jeremi Grant's really coming along and might be something. But everyone else is just these disparate parts that need a lot of work.

They had Denver on the ropes Saturday. They really should have won the game, just like they should have almost every game the past 10 or so. But then Jameer Nelson righting the Nuggets ship and helped them win. Like, getting someone like Jameer Nelson (who is from nearby Chester and a hometown hero from his days at St. Joe's) wouldn't be a great steady hand for a year or two that you could get on the cheap? Or someone like Jarret Jack? Just get someone who knows how to direct a flight plan as opposed to tossing TJ McConnell to the wolves.There is no way having one or two veteran guys on the roster will hurt. Just be a normal bad basketball team. Please.

They really should have won the game, just like they should have almost every game the past 10 or so

Gregg.  You're insane, bud.  I would also like to mention that you turned my "3 NBA players" hot take into "2 NBA players" and then used the 3rd NBA player as the counter to that point! Love me some Bob Covington though so it's ok. 

Here is the main problem with the Sixers right now and something that is being lost in the tanking.  The ceiling for a Noel/Okafor "partnership" is low. Like... 1st round out low.  The Process might work out in the end, but it won't be because of those two.  I'm fairly confident in that statement.

The Sixers are at least an economics experiment. It's one that has completely failed so far, but it's way better than previous garbage teams. I think the Lakers are more worthless -- having a star with a giant ego hijack the franchise lets you have great cover when trying to hold onto the draft pick you previously piddled away. I make it a point to avoid Nets games. I seriously go out of my way to not watch that team.

HOWEVER, this is interesting news. Word is now that other owners forced Silver to do something about the Sixers, which ended up with Colangelo in the office. And I can really see the league's point-of-view. The Sixers get to share in all that cable TV money. And they're not doing one thing to put together a product anyone not interested in extreme future modelling/car wrecks would even begin to watch. And, also, the Sixers may have decided to punt on their ticket and local TV revenues while The Process unfolds. But other teams aren't selling tickets and the like during Sixers road games.

I'd be seriously pissed if I was the owner of, say, Utah. It's a tiny market. They've built a decent team with draft picks and smart moves. No huge FA is ever going there. They can only make so much locally generated revenue because of the market size. And there's also the uphill battle of trying to get close to the playoffs in the friggin' beast of a conference they play in. And then Philly just more or less leaves the league for a few years, despite having the fourth largest market, just so they can try and snag a can't miss draft pick?

Philly's strategy is so hated the NBA actually almost changed the lottery rules. The smaller market teams banded together to halt that, since the only way to really get an All-World player if you're a tiny market is via the draft. The Sixers came so close to screwing that up for everyone else.

Anyways, they're such an interesting franchise to follow and root for. And no one else has ever been interesting in this manner.