DVDVR Message Board

Ha, I hadn't listened to Dave or read any other boards so I had no idea people were complaining about Asuka being in orientation. I don't get it because it's obvious that they view her as 1. ready and 2. a star.  That doesn't mean you don't have to go through orientation I mean part of orientation is always going to be introducing the organization, who everyone is and what they do and oh by the way...  "we might do things a bit differently here than you are used to."  Like every other job in the world.  

Also, I don't care how great you are if you have an opportunity to work with Regal and those guys you can still learn a lot from them. I never understood this idea of "what does he or she need to go down to NXT for?"  like you can't pick up on stuff from working with Regal..   People are so cynical.

everyone goes through orientation. You gotta know what's going on.Like it or not the WWE is a major corporation this isn't the 1980's wrestling is mainstream now. And that means the bureaucratic horse shit that goes with it.   

Ha, I hadn't listened to Dave or read any other boards so I had no idea people were complaining about Asuka being in orientation. I don't get it because it's obvious that they view her as 1. ready and 2. a star.  That doesn't mean you don't have to go through orientation I mean part of orientation is always going to be introducing the organization, who everyone is and what they do and oh by the way...  "we might do things a bit differently here than you are used to."  Like every other job in the world.  

Also, I don't care how great you are if you have an opportunity to work with Regal and those guys you can still learn a lot from them. I never understood this idea of "what does he or she need to go down to NXT for?"  like you can't pick up on stuff from working with Regal..   People are so cynical.

Yeah, it's over-analyzing.  She was in the US for what, 2 weeks, before they put her out in the ring.  Owens, Balor and Itami had to wait a couple of months?  Maybe they felt they had to fast track her because of the loss of Sasha, Becky and Charlotte, but they got her in there anyway.  And then put her over like she was Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin and The Rock rolled into one.

I'm not sure the woman who gave the heartwarming speech received a contract. They give their recommendations to Triple H and then he decides who to keep. The tryouts are just like an NFL combine basically.  I don't think selecting her would be a knock on one of the guys. They might see a guy who is talented but maybe he's too much like other dudes they have. I think we as fans sometimes get caught up in thinking "why isn't this guy getting pushed" but they view it as a team with roles to fill. If you already have 3 quality wide receivers maybe you pass on a guy and fill another position.

• Like 1

Laredo Kid is on my short list of people I'd hire if I was trying to connect with a latino audience that isn't already in Lucha Underground or under contract (Kalisto) but hey, maybe this means I'll get to see Laredo Kid in person in a couple weeks.

Those that can't do, teach. DeMott, Regal, Albert, Billy Gunn never were world champs in their eyes, yet they're entrusted with the future of the company.

How dare you put Regal in that list with those others. He's done more in his career then those others have done combined. Shame on you.

I'm going to have to say I agree with the general consensus for the show so far. I also want to say I am interested in Niko a.k.a Cream Cheese. Not from the wacky fat guy aspect (he was the one that did the worm) but for the fact that he made it past the initial physical aspect.

I think it's also pretty funny that the male rookies either came in two basic flavors: clean shaven jock variety, or crazy Wyatt Family-esce bearded man variety.

Those that can't do, teach. DeMott, Regal, Albert, Billy Gunn never were world champs in their eyes, yet they're entrusted with the future of the company.

How dare you put Regal in that list with those others. He's done more in his career then those others have done combined. Shame on you.
I don't want to deviate too far from your premise, but I'm not sure I agree with that. His WWE runs may not have been the greatest, but Giant Bernard had a long and decent run in NJ. Like him or not, Billy did a lot in WWE. On the other side of that equation, as great as Regal was (and is), losing big chunks of the prime of his career to drugs meant he fell some distance short of his potential.

I'm all in on Cream Cheese too. Did a little checking: his real name is Niko Bogojevic and he went/goes by Dozer. Anyone seen a match of his? I couldn't find any with a cursory search.

Only thing I could find was that he did some collegiate wrestling (apparently very well) and had a career as a power lifter. I'm intrigued.

I don't want to deviate too far from your premise, but I'm not sure I agree with that. His WWE runs may not have been the greatest, but Giant Bernard had a long and decent run in NJ. Like him or not, Billy did a lot in WWE. On the other side of that equation, as great as Regal was (and is), losing big chunks of the prime of his career to drugs meant he fell some distance short of his potential.

I appreciate the difference in opinion. I will agree and say yes, both Albert and Billy Gunn did have good careers, without a doubt. However, I'm not entirely convinced they would be put in the same legend status as Regal is. As far as his drug yes, I definately agree with you there, that does create a huge what if factor to his career if he hadn't.

I think the basic point stands either way. Yes, Regal is one of the best I've ever seen, but WWE never saw him at that main event level. Hell, they put Gunn and Albert both quite a bit closer to the top than they did Master Regal.

Regal is also limited as a trainer with his physical limitations (hopefully the second surgery will fix this). Regal is also juggling a lot of hats, being an active recruiter too.

Between the two roles, I think Regal maybe more valuable as a recruiter/evaluator than a trainer.

I don't know how much of training requires him to take bumps himself. I would think that as long as he's got assistants or other coaches around who can, he can mostly keep out of it.

On the subject of Regal's career, I don't think he'd have gotten much farther in WCW than he did, but a WWE where HHH is a big player and he doesn't have the drug history hanging over him and Regal could have gotten at least a short run at the top of the card. Certainly HHH would have wanted to work with him, and Smackdown-era Heyman would have been all over having him as well.

Weren't they having Patrick Clark take bumps and shit for the tryouts?  It seems that the guys in NXT who do have a lot of experience are just as valuable in assisting newcomers as they are in their roles on television.

Which is not coincidentally how every wrestling school I've ever seen did it. If the main trainer was still active, yeah he'd bump too sometimes, but they'd generally have assistants or more experienced students there to help out.

I think the basic point stands either way. Yes, Regal is one of the best I've ever seen, but WWE never saw him at that main event level. Hell, they put Gunn and Albert both quite a bit closer to the top than they did Master Regal.

The drug use, though, does play a big role in it, simply because unlike Gunn/Albert, it was known that at one point, William Regal WAS going to make it to that main event level, only for the drug issues to rear its head and kill it before it began (specifically, the 2008 run right after Regal won King of the Ring and went mad with power, where it was widely reported if Regal didn't get his second Wellness Violation, he was tapped to feud for the title.) 

• Like 1