DVDVR Message Board

Yeah they throw a little reality BS in there at times but who cares. It's an enjoyable 40 minutes and I disagree that most of it is a work.  They're not going to take the time to script something like that and most of the reactions and conversations about ring work and promos seem genuine and authentic enough. 

So Eva Marie has Zayn and Breeze assisting her now. That's a good couple guys to get advice from.

I love that all of the women rock Sasha Banks t-shirts.  Not just because I love and own that t-shirt but she's a star to them. I wish creative on the main roster felt the same way. 

I never thought Enzo would progress past being an awesome manager for someone but now I think his ceiling is pretty damn high.  I think he could absolutely be the new Road Dogg.

Yeah they throw a little reality BS in there at times but who cares. It's an enjoyable 40 minutes and I disagree that most of it is a work.  They're not going to take the time to script something like that and most of the reactions and conversations about ring work and promos seem genuine and authentic enough. 

So Eva Marie has Zayn and Breeze assisting her now. That's a good couple guys to get advice from.

I love that all of the women rock Sasha Banks t-shirts.  Not just because I love and own that t-shirt but she's a star to them. I wish creative on the main roster felt the same way. 

I never thought Enzo would progress past being an awesome manager for someone but now I think his ceiling is pretty damn high.  I think he could absolutely be the new Road Dogg.

It's worked in the same way that Total Divas is worked: Producers come up with a story and then place the wrestlers into that story to get their reactions. A lot of it is clearly bullshit and staged as can be, though.

Creative on the main roster obviously thinks Sasha is a star, otherwise she'd be losing all the time like the other women instead of being kept strong, given promo time, given extended hype by the announcers even though she's a heel, and never taking the fall if her team loses. She's been held back because A. she was doing more important stuff in NXT and B. They don't want to blow through a big storyline with her a few months before WM and then have nothing for her to do there.

I'm baffled that people don't think Road Dogg had an awesome career and Enzo wouldn't love to be in that position.

What exactly is worked on Breaking Ground?  They are following people around as they train and take advice. How is that worked? 

A few of the "personal" conversations have the "reality TV" hallmarks of forced line deliveries, etc. but that's almost a given at this point.

• Like 1

I'm baffled that people don't think Road Dogg had an awesome career and Enzo wouldn't love to be in that position.

I blame the way that the 2000s was booked for that. The Attitude Era was known for passing titles around all the time in itself, but it continued in the 2000s...and with two World Titles in WWE, plus the TNA and ROH titles bubbling under for what could be considered a World Title or not and WCW/ECW's former champs- there were a large amount of World Champions running around in the 2000s. 

As a result, it's changed the way fans have thought of wrestlers forever- where once, being a good midcarder is no longer enough- either you held the World Title or you were a failure (and taken further to the Pipebomb going past that, to "Either you were in John Cena's spot or you were a failure" being the current benchmark.

This reminds me of the debate people were having over the career of Santino Marella and whether that would be a desirable path.

As a fan, I would love to have a spot like Santino had.

Comedy wrestling is so under utilized by WWE imo. The Vaudevillains should be semi serious at times sure, but they should be cartoon characters as well. Let them use old timey strongman moves and throw a couple of guys like Blake and Murphy around.

I loved "Smackdown Numba One Announa" Funaki. Remember when he interviewed himself after winning the Cruiserweight Title?

Los Guerreros got over on comedy spots and that helped transition Eddie into a main eventer.

Edge and Christian went from vampires to totally cheesey celebrity 'wannabe' stars.

Kurt Angle flipped from serious to comedy all the time.

Hurricane vs Hollywood Rock mini feud.

Eugene was a joke but caught on so well that he ended up elevating Regal by proxy and working main event spots with The Rock and Triple H.

Vince McMahon; ECW Champion

The Team Hell No "Anger Management" stuff.

Not everyone should be a Dolph Ziggler midcarder who is trying to be a main eventer. Give us more comedy workers and career midcarders and the natural main eventers will work through.

• Like 1

It's interesting. Just using Santino, I think you can argue that the comedy character definitely helped his career. He was originally supposed to be this shoot fighter type right?  I think Santino is a great wrestler but I'm not sure how much mileage that character would have given him. As a comedy guy he was awesome for a long time..  Sure, he wasn't in the main event or anything but he did have that cool little run where he nearly won the Royal Rumble and he nearly defeated Daniel Bryan for the world title.  That's amazing.

The comedy character allowed him to stick around and do his act, be inventive.. he was always aligned with hot chicks, I think he was real life dating Maria at one point.. 

I think if you ask Santino he'd say he's had a great career and personally if I'm someone in the biz I would kill to have Santino's career.

I don't think most wrestlers get too hung up on who is the world champion, who is headlining WrestleMania...  I think there have definitely been some cases where WWE has fucked a guy who should have been bigger but I believe a lot of these guys are reaching their full potential and are satisfied where they are. 

But on the other hand..  as a FAN.. yeah I do want my favorites like Bryan and Cesaro to headline and I think they deserved those opportunities. Bryan got his chance, Cesaro hasn't yet..  hopefully one day he will too.

L_W_P mentioned something like if you stick all of the wrestlers in a room and let them do their thing, the stars will stick out above the rest and I think that's true. I think WWE creative gets way too fucking cute with shit. NXT uses simple story lines and allows the characters to get it over. I don't think they went into NXT thinking Sasha and Bayley would be the best. I think Sasha and Bayley stuck out because they are the best.

• Like 1

People are forgetting this show is made by the "producers of Bar Rescue". I was watching last weeks episode (which seemed like went on forever) and Aliyah did that promo where she bombed in front of the performance center. Now I'm pretty sure she has a good idea of what she wants her character to be especially after talking to Regal. But the WWE and Bar Rescue people were like "well, that's not compelling so make it suck" and well we saw what happened.

And of course ZZ is driving a custom Corvette. This guy might be the greatest method actor ever. Entitled backwoods rich kid would be an amazing heel gimmick when Vince finally sees Duck Dynasty in a few years.

It's interesting. Just using Santino, I think you can argue that the comedy character definitely helped his career. He was originally supposed to be this shoot fighter type right?  I think Santino is a great wrestler but I'm not sure how much mileage that character would have given him. As a comedy guy he was awesome for a long time..  Sure, he wasn't in the main event or anything but he did have that cool little run where he nearly won the Royal Rumble and he nearly defeated Daniel Bryan for the world title.  That's amazing.

One of the most memorable RR spot was Santino's near win. It was glorious, everyone knew it was impossible but they all still believed.

Way to shift the goal posts as to what constitutes a "high ceiling" (re:Road Dogg).  See, I would have thought that would entail being able to put on quality matches on a consistent basis and staying on the main roster and in the public eye for a long period.  Apparently others define it as "being in the spotlight for about 3 years total (almost exclusively due to a catch phrase that caught on), then managing to stay loosely-connected to the business on a smaller stage for a long period of time without overdosing and ultimately having a friend who actually accomplished something pull some strings to get you back on the main scene as a legend."

Do you think Apollo Crews has a shot at having a high ceiling like Ahmed Johnson did?

Way to shift the goal posts as to what constitutes a "high ceiling" (re:Road Dogg).  See, I would have thought that would entail being able to put on quality matches on a consistent basis and staying on the main roster and in the public eye for a long period.  Apparently others define it as "being in the spotlight for about 3 years total (almost exclusively due to a catch phrase that caught on), then managing to stay loosely-connected to the business on a smaller stage for a long period of time without overdosing and ultimately having a friend who actually accomplished something pull some strings to get you back on the main scene as a legend."

Do you think Apollo Crews has a shot at having a high ceiling like Ahmed Johnson did?

The 3 years total happened to be at the most popular time in history for his profession, in the most popular company of all time in his profession, where he was a featured talent seen every week on the biggest possible stage. Road Dogg was over as fuck. More over than HHH for basically the entire DX run. And now he runs one of the TV shows for that company. 

"Putting on quality matches on a consistent basis" has nothing to do with having a successful career. See: LOD, Ultimate Warrior, MIchael Hayes, Honky Tonk Man, Brutus Beefake, AJ Lee, Seth Rollins, JYD, Meng, King Kong Bundy, Kamala, Lex Luger, The Nasty Boys...and on and on and on and on and on...