DVDVR Message Board

Justifying Heel Actions

I saw this in another board so I thought I'd kick off a topic about this.

Heel turns, beatdowns, etc., are often looked down upon by those that believe that pro wrestling should be "a fair and competitive sport, full of virtue". But there are times that heels do things that we as fans would say to ourselves, "I completely get why he did that, and I would've done the same thing.".

Here's a prime example- the Megapowers breakup. Randy Savage won the WWF title and suddenly Hogan wants to buddy up to him and form a team. Like anyone with a first-grade education can't see that Hogan is trying to not only get Savage comfortable with him so he doesn't see his ulterior motive of getting the WWF belt back, but that he's trying to cozy up to Elizabeth. I mean, what kind of snake fuck calls himself a friend and does shit like that? So you can't blame Savage for doing this...

Any other heel justifications we can think of?

• Like 3

I think Bret was totally justified in turning on the hyena American fans. I think that's part of why that angle was amazing. The fans didn't want traditional faces anymore, and in Bret's mind he was a great role model. Sure he was whinny, but so was Hogan.

• Like 3

The whole problem in WWE 2012 boiled down to just how justified CM Punk was in turning. 

He goes through a series of matches onscreen, and The Rock shows up and makes a challenge to the WWE Champion at the Royal Rumble (and as reigning WWE Champion, Punk wouldn't be planning to lose the belt- making it viable as Rock challenging "HIM" to the shot at the Royal Rumble)- and then answers the challenge at the end of the night (which again, he's right to believe he was being challenged.) 

For all of this, they then claim he turned his back on the fans for no reason except he didn't politely give a firm bow, then hand the title to The Rock without a fight.

No wonder the fans didn't buy into the heel turn.

• Like 2

There is the matter that Hogan's interference led to Savage winning the title and Hogan didn't ask for a title shot based on that. He waited until Savage turned on him to get it. Hogan also saved Savage when the Hart Foundation were beating him down on SNME. Liz came to Hogan because no one else would. Sure, as a babyface was kinda reprehensible at times, but in thr angle, he was genuinely hurt by Savage turning on him. The angle also played off of Savage's well documented real life paranoia about people ogling his wife.

James

There is the matter that Hogan's interference led to Savage winning the title and Hogan didn't ask for a title shot based on that. He waited until Savage turned on him to get it. Hogan also saved Savage when the Hart Foundation were beating him down on SNME. Liz came to Hogan because no one else would. Sure, as a babyface was kinda reprehensible at times, but in thr angle, he was genuinely hurt by Savage turning on him. The angle also played off of Savage's well documented real life paranoia about people ogling his wife.

James

Okay, but he was still totally trying to fuck Elizabeth. I mean, we know he sees nothing wrong with screwing a friend's woman. We've seen the videotape.

• Like 4

Even though it wasn't actually a heel turn, Sting's walking out of War Games 96 and the "you didn't trust me, so why should I fight for you?" speech to the WCW fans before he went Achilles Sulking In His Tent for the first half of the NWO angle was completely on point.  I mean, how many times had WCW run an Imposter Sting before that?  At least Cobra was the right height and hair color unlike Barry frickin' Windham, but still, given the history of unconvincing facsimile Stings he had every right to get pissed at the fans and/or Luger & Flair for buying into one (particularly since the Horsemen were responsible for at least one of the previous scams, you'd think they'd remember their own schemes).

• Like 2

Pistol Pez turning on Boggie Woogie.

This a million times. "The best black athlete" Why can't he just be the best athlete!  Literally one of the first things that got me into wrestling. My uncle that I idolized was super pissed that Jimmy Valiant said that and that turned me into it. I hated Jimmy Valiant for years after this.

To thi day  don't get the Rick Martel heel turn on Tito Santana

James

It's pretty simple.  Martel had been out of action for six-seven months.  He came back and was looking to restart his career as a singles.  He even had several TV matches to show he was going on his own.  Then Tito wanted to reform Strike Force, and Rick reluctantly accepted, and I swear there's some pre-WMV interview somewhere where he's a little hesitant about the tag team being a regular thing.  Then Tito accidentally flying forearms him at WMV, and he decides "Screw this.  I didn't even want this match. Just to be a friend, I agreed. Now my own partner smacks me in the face?"  And he walks.  And the fans boo.  For what?  He literally got punched by the very person who wanted him to wrestle a match that he had no interest in.  He even said it in the post-match, that he wanted to be on his own but Tito just wouldn't let it go.  And he found his out, so he took it.

I don't buy the Pez Whatley justification.  Valiant calls him the best black athlete, Pez attacks, and he just HAPPENS to have a pair of scissors on him?  He wanted to attack Jimmy and was just looking for any excuse.  Jimmy could have told him he was even greater than Pez candy and the same thing would have happened.

• Like 2

To thi day  don't get the Rick Martel heel turn on Tito Santana

James

It's pretty simple.  Martel had been out of action for six-seven months.  He came back and was looking to restart his career as a singles.  He even had several TV matches to show he was going on his own.  Then Tito wanted to reform Strike Force, and Rick reluctantly accepted, and I swear there's some pre-WMV interview somewhere where he's a little hesitant about the tag team being a regular thing.

I remember this. It had to been shown on Superstars and Wrestling Challenge, but I remember the promo where Rick was like "Ehh, I dont want to but I'll do it for you"