DVDVR Message Board

NXT 10/22/15 TAPINGS (Airing 11/11/15)

RIPPA

Okay - I realized I do need to do these EXACTLY like the TNA threads (thanks for the model Dream Broken) for those that don't want spoilers but want to discuss current shows.

So the results that will air on 11/11/15

Adrienne Reese beat Peyton Royce.  Big pop for Reese making her debut.

Baron Corbin vs. Tye Dillinger never started.  Apollo Crews attacked Corbin before the match and laid him out.

Zack Ryder & Mojo Rawley & Bayley beat Blake & Murphy & Alexa Bliss in a mixed-tag match.  Ryder got the pin.  They had Bayley to the Belly-to-Bayley on one of the guys.  The crowd was really into Bayley & Rawley.  Bliss ran away with the title belt after the match.

Nia Jax beat Deonna Purrazzo.

Scott Dawson & Dash Wilder beat The Vaudevillains to win the NXT Tag Team titles.  Probably will be better on TV edited.

• Like 1

I was just saying that Gotch is SO into the Vaudevillian gimmick, where it is really, really obvious that Aiden is NOT.  I hope Aiden finds a gimmick he can run with, because he's got a good look and is pretty capable in the ring.

I was just saying that Gotch is SO into the Vaudevillian gimmick, where it is really, really obvious that Aiden is NOT.  I hope Aiden finds a gimmick he can run with, because he's got a good look and is pretty capable in the ring.

He should shave his head and come up as Cesaro's stunt double.

• Like 1

I love The Vaudes. But there is no way that gimmick works on Raw. It would go completely over the head of the razor beard mouth breathing WHAT! chanters. You need to know a little more than codes for retread Call of Duty games or Family Guy quotes to get why it's an awesome shtick.

If The Vaudevillains ever got called up the one that suffers is Gotch due to gimmick (unless he changes it) because he would up as, at best, the new Santino Marella. That would be a shame because he is talented in so many ways and he deserves better. If he got retooled I'd book him like he was modern a Dory Funk

James

The New Santino is actually a thing to aspire towards.

This reminds me of the old story Cornette told about WWE writers coming to OVW and trying to motivate them by asking "Who here wants to be the next Kaientai?"

EVERYONE in the group raised their hands - because Kaientai had jobs on the main roster.

The New Santino is actually a thing to aspire towards.

This reminds me of the old story Cornette told about WWE writers coming to OVW and trying to motivate them by asking "Who here wants to be the next Kaientai?"

EVERYONE in the group raised their hands - because Kaientai had jobs on the main roster.

Santino had an insanely long career. Wrestling needs a part of the show (at least) that is just goofy comedy as opposed to goofy fake fighting. Santino was really good at a lot of that part. He didn't hit 100 percent of the time, but that lovable oddball role is something three hours of play fighting needs. Dude was really good at what he did, and filling that role would lead to a petty long career.

Yes but how much upward mobility on the card is there in being the New Santino?

I'm not bagging onm Santino's work, I'm talking about how far did Santino get with his gimmick as comedy stooge? (and don't throw his title runs at me, because if it isn't the world title those secondary belts no value)

James

Yes but how much upward mobility on the card is there in being the New Santino?

I'm not bagging onm Santino's work, I'm talking about how far did Santino get with his gimmick as comedy stooge? (and don't throw his title runs at me, because if it isn't the world title those secondary belts no value)

James

In the 2011 Royal Rumble when Santino showed up behind ADR, the entire crowd- in smark-heavy Boston, no less- were 100% willing to see Santino Marella pull off the upset and become the Royal Rumble winner.

The next year at the 2012 Elimination Chamber, the crowd was honestly willing to see Santino win the World Heavyweight Championship when it was down to him and Daniel Bryan at the end.

...so, yeah, if Santino Marella got to a point where a lot of fans were saying "I'd honestly completely buy Santino as the World Heavyweight Champion", then Santino DID get much, much, much farther as a comedy stooge than anyone else had ever gotten.

• Like 1

I can't stand Aiden English as a babyface so I'm glad the Vaudevillans lost the titles. Aiden is a good heel as the Cass feud proved so hopefully he turns on Gotch and they feud for a while. Gotch is a good babyface so he should be fine.

Alexa actually left with the belt when the match was still going on, not after.

Dawson/Dash are not really over at all. The squash they had to week after this was just brutal live but I think it will be good on tv. I guess they are transitional champions till Enzo/Big Cass get back for London.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, Athena is the new Sasha for this group. I can not wait to see her vs Asuka or Bayley.

Aiden English may not love the gimmick he's in, but the singing gimmick also has the potential to get old very fast. The Vaudevillains were a natural progression of his act. He needs something new.

Given all the trio love at the moment, I'd be tempted to put Gotch with Jordan and Gable. I see more in Gotch than in English right now.

Dawson/Dash are not really over at all. The squash they had to week after this was just brutal live but I think it will be good on tv. I guess they are transitional champions till Enzo/Big Cass get back for London.

At this point I'd much rather see Jordan and Gable vs Dash & Dawson at Takeover, but I guess they already have the angle set up with Enzo and Cass.

I really don't think we need 3 separate threads for one set of tapings.

Where is everyone getting the idea that Aiden English doesn't like his gimmick? I've never gotten that impression from him.

Yeah, that's some "A guy wrote it on a message board and I read it. I believe everything I read" dummy shit.

Well it wasn't quite that, if you were paying attention. Mike Zeidler has an opinion, now mattsangerously has said he thinks he disagrees. Now the point can potentially be explored. 'Dummy shit'?

• Like 1

If you want a guy who is clearly not into the gimmick then look no further than Sin Cara.

His body language is shit compared to Kalisto and it throws off the whole vibe of that "Lu-cha Lu-cha" hand thing they do.

Why would anyone want to be Fake Mistico?

I've thought before that English doesn't seem to be into the schtick as much as Gotch, especially since the Lucha Dragons feud ended.

It's probably less that English isn't into the schtick and the fact Occam's Razor comes into play:

Simon Gotch was doing the gentleman pugilist gimmick before he signed with WWE, English was not.

Therefore, of course Gotch would be more skilled at the gimmick- he's got more experience playing it than English does.

I've thought before that English doesn't seem to be into the schtick as much as Gotch, especially since the Lucha Dragons feud ended.

How did they never do another old timey video like the one for the Lucha Dragons feud?

Because they somehow became faces?

I think there was a WWE.com interview recently where Sin Cara admitted he wasn't into the whole lu-cha thing at first and tried to rush through the chant.